Beginner/ Budget reloading setup

I am a youth working with a limited budget ideally sub-1000 I want to get into reloading 7-mag and eventually 9mm and 223. What all do I need? I have heard bad things about the reloading starter kits are these true? Ideally, I would like a setup I could upgrade over time rather than have to replace. what are you guys's recommendations?
Thanks

JFK

WKR
Definitely doable for under $1000. Look for a used single stage press. Make a list of things you need/want and look for deals. Guys sell dies on here all the time. Two things you don’t want to cheap out on are a good set of digital calipers and a good scale.

Zdub02

WKR
I got and still use an RCBS rockchucker kit. Has everything you need to get started and works very well for small batch reloads. Can find the kit on sale and would be worth a look.

Vern400

WKR
I am a youth working with a limited budget ideally sub-1000 I want to get into reloading 7-mag and eventually 9mm and 223. What all do I need? I have heard bad things about the reloading starter kits are these true? Ideally, I would like a setup I could upgrade over time rather than have to replace. what are you guys's recommendations?
Thanks
There's lots of used reloading equipment available on eBay. Lots of folks are getting out of reloading because of component availability. It is improving though a little bit.
Just starting out, I'd recommend RCBS Rock chucker press and a good 505 balance beam scale. You'll need a pair of calipers and I use a pair of electronic calipers I got off of Amazon for like 30 bucks.

I would recommend spending your money on a good set of dies. I like the RCBS competition dies with a micrometer dial. That way I can tweak my seating depth by counting clicks, rather than using a screw and jam nut. Those guys guide the bullet all the way during the seating process and can result in better concentricity of your loaded rounds. But you can go cheap if you have to. They all work.

Once you find a load that you're happy with, quit messing around and buy a bunch of that stuff. I haven't been able to get reloader 15 for 3 years. I haven't been able to get an 8 pound jug of Varget for 2 years. Even Sierra bullets have had shortages. When Obama was elected there was a huge shortage. When the pandemic hit there was a big shortage. As long as you have good, cool temperature stable storage location the components will basically last forever. All the other fancy stuff is nice to have. But if you wait till the last minute to buy components you're likely to get hosed.

Weldor

WKR
There are few quality set ups out there. Hornady and RCBS have some good kits for way less than a grand. Price out a good press , dies, scale, calipers, headspace kit, some trays, trickler, powder thrower, priming tool., and your ready to roll your own. Watch yard sales as well,.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I started with the rockchucker kit and upgraded from there. I still use the rockchucker press and dont plan on getting anything else in the future. The gear depends on if you are wanting to shoot long range with your 7 mag or not. Here is my current setup which I would call a pretty budget setup for PRS shooting

RCBS Rockchucker press
RCBS Matchmaster dies
Sincalir Carbine Expander Mandrel
RCBS Tumbler with corn cob media
RCBS Chargemaster
RCBS Case slick lube
Lyman Chamfering and deburring tool
Hornady Headspace comparator
Mitutoyo Calipers (you can use cheaper ones I just had these)

You should be able to get into that setup for under 1k and it will produce great ammo if you keep a consistent procedure. If you are not planning on shooting long range (sub 500 yards). Then I would trade the chargemaster out for a Volumetric powder throwing like the uniflow and probably get a balance beam scale. You will also want to use the uniflow for reloading 9mm and probably 223. Dont get caught up in needing a 419 or Dillon press, or a Henderson trimmer. Yes they are nice and do save you a ton of time but you can achieve the same ammo quality with the above tools you just have to be a lot more meticulous!

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Don't be afraid to load up on used equipment in good shape. I am into my single-stage setup for WELL under $1k (not including components). If your LGS carries reloading equipment, they may resell used equipment. That and ebay.

I started Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press Deluxe Kit and am still using it. Its faster than a single stage and cheaper than a progressive.
If shooting 223 or 9mm in the volumes most people like to do, that Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret is just the ticket. If you look around you can get the deluxe kit shipped for under $270. You'll replace the scale eventually, and probably add a hand primer tool in, but it's a great value.

Here’s a good kit. Sub $300 with the discount code for Labor Day, good kit components, and a rebate for 500 bullets.

gpkhill2

FNG
It's really hard to beat a RCBS Rockchucker kit. And I hate to say it but Walmart usually has them about the cheapest. The RCBS stuff is super solid and has a warranty better than Vortex and you probably won't have to use it

rootacres

WKR
Lots of good info here. I will throw this in the mix. With you wanting to get into a system that you can grow and upgrade as you go along. Also with the potential of 9mm and 223 being in the mix I would look at a Dillon RL 550. Loading 9mm on a single stage will take an eternity compared to a progressive. You can use a progressive as a single stage but you can't use a single stage as a progressive. Dillon absolutely dominates the competitive pistol world when it comes to press of choice. If I was only loading for rifle I would probably own a Rockchucker (RCBS).

I can hammer out loads of 9mm quick on my Dillon but when I want to load for my 7 SAUM or 300 PRC it's pretty simple to swap over. Dillon makes "conversion kits" for doing this very thing.

$300 RCBS Chargemaster Lite
$65 Franklin Tumblr (you'll need tumbling media, its cheap)
$665 Dillon RL550C Kit (w/ 7mm rem mag conversion kit)
$45 RCBS 2 die set
$100 Lyman case trimmer (they have an electric one for $190)
$25 digital calipers
$15 Chamfer/Deburring tool

$1200 Total

Don't be afraid to shop used on this stuff. Presses in general are pretty bomb proof. An old Dillon/RCBS will function the same as a new one (in general). Buying some of these items used will put you under the $1000 mark.