Beginner Long Range Scope

So Im working on turning a Ruger American 22-250 into a dedicated longer range target/predator rig. Luckily mine is a tack driver and with a little load development I think it will shoot amazing groups. Seems like 22-250s are inherently accurate. I can shoot to 750 or 800 yards in my backyard at steel. Im pretty much sold on the Vortex Diamondback tactical 4-12x40. All good reviews. Any advice on this scope or something else I should be looking at?

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

WKR
Another vote for SWFA. Probably a 10x on that if shooting 800 much.

16Bore

WKR
Your 22-250 is twisted 1:10 so your bullet choice is limited. Typical 55 grain load is going to drift about 3' at 500 yards with a 10 mph crosswind. Doesn't mean impossible, but you'll be fighting it.

Misread about the scope, thought you'd bought the Vortex. Forget that and go SWFA 10xMQ. They track better than just about anything out there and are less than $300. The reticle / MQ is easy to learn and beats MOA by a mile.

Unless you are married to that 22-250, I might consider a 1:8 twisted 223 and 75gr bullets. Check the charts and you'll see drift is shaved quite a bit. Cheaper to shoot by far and you'll shoot tons more.

Just a thought.

OP
lyle_destroys
Your 22-250 is twisted 1:10 so your bullet choice is limited. Typical 55 grain load is going to drift about 3' at 500 yards with a 10 mph crosswind. Doesn't mean impossible, but you'll be fighting it.

Misread about the scope, thought you'd bought the Vortex. Forget that and go SWFA 10xMQ. They track better than just about anything out there and are less than $300. The reticle / MQ is easy to learn and beats MOA by a mile.

Unless you are married to that 22-250, I might consider a 1:8 twisted 223 and 75gr bullets. Check the charts and you'll see drift is shaved quite a bit. Cheaper to shoot by far and you'll shoot tons more.

Just a thought.
The only issue I have with the swfa scopes is being fixed power. Primarily this is going to be used for coyote hunting. Some of the shots can be 50 yards. I cant imagine using a 10x at 50 yards. The long range plinking is going to be more for fun and learning how to dial windage amd elevation.

OP
lyle_destroys
If you want to dial go SWFA 3-15 MIl/Mil, I have it and love it, but way to slow for varmint hunting
BUT these new reticles from Primary arms are game changers. 4-14x44ffp ORION or Predator reticle which you can zero for multi calibers as well. LOts of reviews on youtube, just range ,point and shoot
Sub $300 "Ready to Hunt" Optics from Primary Arms - YouTube
I have a PA optic on an AR that Ive been very happy with. An illuminated reticle would be great for night coyotes also.

suchee

FNG
which one? I need one actually for a hunting optic on a AR Grendel. I can't think of anything other than PA reticles

OP
lyle_destroys
which one? I need one actually for a hunting optic on a AR Grendel. I can't think of anything other than PA reticles
Primary Arms 2.5X Compact Prism Scope - Illuminated ACSS CQB-M Reticle PAC2.5X

I always loved shooting with 4x ACOGs in the army but hated them for CQB. This 2.5x was a happy medium for me. Can easily reach to 300m fairly easy on a man sized target but it comes up very quickly for close quarters work too.
If I was looking for something with a little more range I would definitely go with one of their 1-6x scopes.

OP
lyle_destroys
What is your budget?
I didnt really make one for this. I just know I dont want to spend more than a few hundred on a coyote/steel plinker. The vortex and pa are in the price range though. Wouldnt want to go any cheaper.

Muttly

WKR
Take a good hard look at an SWFA 3-9x42 mil quad. If you want to dial, they,re dependable, if you want use the reticle at any power, easy and intuitive. Glass is plenty clear, at least for this kid, though the reticle can be a little thin at 3 power.
Will run more out of the gate than the Vortex. If you,re not in a rush, keep your eyes peeled on 24 Hour Campfire, not uncommon to see one used for around 4-450 bucks.

FURMAN

WKR
I didnt really make one for this. I just know I dont want to spend more than a few hundred on a coyote/steel plinker. The vortex and pa are in the price range though. Wouldnt want to go any cheaper.

I can’t help you at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
lyle_destroys
Call me cheap but I ended up buying a Primary Arms 4-14. It works great for a cheap beater gun.