Bell and Carlson Winchester Mod 70 featherweight problems

Ordered a new B/C stock for the mod 70. Had to do a little sanding to get the floor plate to close but no big deal. Assembled things and the bolt only made it halfway across the action before it bound up. If I loosened the front action screw that problem went away but the screw was very loose. I also discovered that the front action screw intruded into the chamber causing the bolt to seize.

Long story short is I determined that by putting two small washers on the outside of the stock between the stock and the front action screw / floor plate hinge all problems disappeared (pic attached). It’s as if the aluminum block they used is just a hair too thin?

I have an email into B/C and hope they can figure this out because it seems like a nice stock. I don’t want to spend $300 on a stock and have to put washers on it from Home Depot. Was thinking this was a 10 minute project and I spent all afternoon on it

Has anyone dealt with this? Is B/C good to deal with? Hoping they can send me a new ine that’ll be perfect......
Thanks for any help!
57c0133be92676ff47c10b6b078fe9fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you cut down your action screw so that it doesn’t intrude into the action?

Another option is to bed the bottom metal into the inlet with Devcon

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
Older model 70? Did it have three action scews. The newer model 70s have two and that is what the B&Cs are set up. You will need to shim if that is the case.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Elkhntr08

WKR
I’m looking at the same stock for my Model 70.
Waiting now to hear what they say.

sndmn11

WKR
BC has outstanding customer service, a phone call is a sure fire way to get your problem addressed in one contact.

If you feel your contact form didn't get a quick enough response, here is the email for the young lady who would be most likely to be first to pick up a phone call.
[email protected]

TxxAgg

WKR
I'd just cut the screw down

I like their stocks, but they always require some fiddle-farting

OP
C
So yes, I could cut the screw down, but then I still have the problem with the magazine box binding.

Not sure what’s considered old. It’s post 64 based on what I can tell. My dad bought it slightly used for me when I was 13( 1989). It has three screws. The one that holds the hinged floor plate, the one behind the trigger guard and the one in front of the trigger guard. I read up on how the tighten those. Basically anything more that about 3/4 tight binds up that mag box. I reinstalled it on the old wood stock and everything works as it should so I’m confident that it’s all in correctly. Basically it just needs a little material under that front bolt.

If either I or B/c can get a “shim” if you will cut to fit that area would that affect accuracy at all?

Basically get something made to fit here
f3a0b4d1467e7590b0e8483894b51576.jpg

Thanks for all the quick responses!!

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
So yes, I could cut the screw down, but then I still have the problem with the magazine box binding.

Not sure what’s considered old. It’s post 64 based on what I can tell. My dad bought it slightly used for me when I was 13( 1989). It has three screws. The one that holds the hinged floor plate, the one behind the trigger guard and the one in front of the trigger guard. I read up on how the tighten those. Basically anything more that about 3/4 tight binds up that mag box. I reinstalled it on the old wood stock and everything works as it should so I’m confident that it’s all in correctly. Basically it just needs a little material under that front bolt.

If either I or B/c can get a “shim” if you will cut to fit that area would that affect accuracy at all?

Basically get something made to fit here
f3a0b4d1467e7590b0e8483894b51576.jpg

Thanks for all the quick responses!!

Not hard to do. I think someone once sold a kit for this mod.

Or buy one piece floor plate
Aluminum will save a few ounces but be a lttle less durable.

OP
C
And that sir is why I love this place!

That is exactly my problem and it appears as though his solution will work out for me! Thanks !!

OP
C
I decided to order the new one piece floor plate / trigger guard from Stocky Stocks. Does anyone know if the stock mag spring from the 2 piece will fit this? I’d assume but the way things have been going......

robtattoo

WKR
Yep, internals are identical.
I just did the same thing myself, from a 2 to 1 piece floor plate. Literally a drop in replacement & ditch the middle screw.
3 minute job, start to finish.

OP
C
Yep, internals are identical.
I just did the same thing myself, from a 2 to 1 piece floor plate. Literally a drop in replacement & ditch the middle screw.
3 minute job, start to finish.

Thanks! I was sure hoping so but this things has been one thing after another!

OP
C
Success! Finally! The new one piece floor plate assembly from Stockys showed up this morning. In about 5 minutes I had the new floor plate in and the stock on! Everything works as it should. Thanks to all who assisted in this. Guess I was ignorant any early on as to what a two piece floor plate was.