Benro S2 Pan head alternative

Hmm, the Benro is a great head for $75. Is 7 (SEVEN!!!) ounces worth $250 dollars??? There might be more cost-efficient ways of cutting 7oz. What tripod are you using?
Agreed, I would pack the 7oz for $250, and cut the handle off my toothbrush.

Just pulled it off.
Took some effort while trying to be careful not to destroy it.
Sliding it back on was actually more difficult but definitely a nice mod. Would do again in a heartbeat

Thanks Brian. I’ll definitely give that a try, but just wanted to be sure I wasn’t gonna mess the grip up if I start trying to pull it off.

I really don’t care that much about the weight, just don’t care for the excessive handle length.

Just pulled it off.
Took some effort while trying to be careful not to destroy it.

Got the grip off.. after struggling with it for a while and it not budging, I figured out that if you grab the grip with a pliers and twist it, it will break the glue loose on the inside and then it will slide off.

My trick for getting them back on is to put a little squirt of dish soap inside the rubber and on the metal

Thats a great tip, thanks! I'll definitely be using that once I figure out exactly how much I want to cut off.

Have you trimmed the mile long handle in the S2?

Quick hacksaw job could probably save you an ounce there

To the guys using the Benros... Is the pan function on yours stiff? The tilt function is easy, smooth, no sticking, and locks rock solid with no image shift, but the pan function feels super stiff and I get a little image shift when I stop panning.

Wondering if that's their flaw, or if I have a bad one?

Napperm4

WKR
To the guys using the Benros... Is the pan function on yours stiff? The tilt function is easy, smooth, no sticking, and locks rock solid with no image shift, but the pan function feels super stiff and I get a little image shift when I stop panning.

Wondering if that's their flaw, or if I have a bad one?

Not that I have noticed but I didn’t use it for long before giving it to my brother. He doesn’t have any complaints with it. Other than a slight shift when locking the pan I really didn’t notice a difference between that and the Outdoorsmans head.

What are you running on it? Is it maybe a weight thing? Or could be dust in the bearing / grease on the pan assembly?

What are you running on it? Is it maybe a weight thing? Or could be dust in the bearing / grease on the pan assembly?

65mm spotting scope (47oz) or my binos. Its stiff enough that it will actually rotate the tripod shaft sometimes rather than head itself.

And its only a couple weeks old and has only been outside on my deck so it shouldn't be dirty? Can I take it apart and lube it?

EDIT: I watched a youtube video or two and one of the comments mentioned how the S2 needs to be broken in by vigorously running it through its range 50+ times, and the stiffness is much better after those surfaces get a little worn in. I'll definitely give it a try!

Last edited:

Napperm4

WKR
65mm spotting scope (47oz) or my binos. Its stiff enough that it will actually rotate the tripod shaft sometimes rather than head itself.

And its only a couple weeks old and has only been outside on my deck so it shouldn't be dirty? Can I take it apart and lube it?

EDIT: I watched a youtube video or two and one of the comments mentioned how the S2 needs to be broken in by vigorously running it through its range 50+ times, and the stiffness is much better after those surfaces get a little worn in. I'll definitely give it a try!

If all else fails I’d try squirting some dry graphite or lithium grease in the rotating parts. I’ve never tried taking one apart yet. Can’t say when I had it I noticed any issues like that. Sounds like my old vanguard p111. I pulled that apart and put a little Vaseline on the joints. Made a world of difference

If all else fails I’d try squirting some dry graphite or lithium grease in the rotating parts. I’ve never tried taking one apart yet. Can’t say when I had it I noticed any issues like that. Sounds like my old vanguard p111. I pulled that apart and put a little Vaseline on the joints. Made a world of difference

I did the “break-in” process that I described above and it made a world of difference. It took a good 50+ revolutions before it loosened up, and then I turned the lock screw in a tiny little bit and rotated it a bunch more. There was 1 or 2 spots where the screw touched while spinning and it shaved a little of the magnesium away and then smoothed those spots out. After that, it rotates easily and very smoothly (about the same as the tilt function now), with no “spring” to it when I stop.

Very happy with this panhead now!

I did the “break-in” process that I described above and it made a world of difference. It took a good 50+ revolutions before it loosened up, and then I turned the lock screw in a tiny little bit and rotated it a bunch more. There was 1 or 2 spots where the screw touched while spinning and it shaved a little of the magnesium away and then smoothed those spots out. After that, it rotates easily and very smoothly (about the same as the tilt function now), with no “spring” to it when I stop.

Very happy with this panhead now!