Bergara new rifle released

OpsMan

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a nice rifle but man Bergara has got to do more than 3 calibers on new releases. Shocked no 7prc or 300wm. 20” 7 PRC and take my $.

z987k

WKR
It's a Bergara action... which doubles as a boat anchor they're so heavy.
But mated to a XLR Atom MG chassis.

You could save another pound and like a grand by not using a Bergara action.

Tbone26

FNG
I did notice they added the 7prc with a 22" tube with their original mg lite line up.

I dont understand the Atom chassis at all. Best i can tell a mg atom is 1.5 ounces lighter than a mg element chassis. What benefits are there beyond he negligible weight savings?

Tbone26

FNG
“Picture a rifle with a useful fore end. Now cut half of it off so it’s unique and less useful”
How much fore end do you need? I don't have interest in purchasing this rifle, but I do have a couple builds with the XLR Atom chassis and I haven't found a situation where I have been handicapped.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I dont understand the Atom chassis at all. Best i can tell a mg atom is 1.5 ounces lighter than a mg element chassis. What benefits are there beyond he negligible weight savings?
When the ATOM was brought to market, its main purpose was a solution for those wanting to build bolt action pistols / SBR. Anything with barrels 5-10 inches. Something to compete with the pork sword or owl chassis etc.. In doing that, we decided why not offer it in magnesium for the weight savings, and who knows, some hunters might want it. Surprisingly, we sell more of them towards hunting than the pistol crowd. For some, the 1.5 ounces is worth it. obviously, there is not much weight in the forend of the chassis; most weight is around the action. For others, as @Tbone26 mentioned, they have never needed a longer forend. Have had a bunch of customers say they love the short forend as they only use tripods for front support.

So, it's another option. Personally, I prefer the longer forend of the Element, but that's what's great: we all have options, right?

How much fore end do you need? I don't have interest in purchasing this rifle, but I do have a couple builds with the XLR Atom chassis and I haven't found a situation where I have been handicapped.

Not so much a matter of need as it is usefulness. Shooting with a bipod is going to be more stable the further forward it is. Having more distance between front and rear support = more stable. Having more fore-end length also gives you more flexibility with improvised front support.

I wont pretend a guy cant shoot awesome with a short fore-end, i shot a lot of tight groups when i owned a DTA that had bipods mounted pretty dang close to the trigger, it just takes more effort to be as stable.

Tbone26

FNG
Not so much a matter of need as it is usefulness. Shooting with a bipod is going to be more stable the further forward it is. Having more distance between front and rear support = more stable. Having more fore-end length also gives you more flexibility with improvised front support.

I wont pretend a guy cant shoot awesome with a short fore-end, i shot a lot of tight groups when i owned a DTA that had bipods mounted pretty dang close to the trigger, it just takes more effort to be as stable.
Understood, I typically do not utilize a bipod anymore. Do bipods have their purpose? Absolutely, although in my experience during field/hunting use it has been very minimal. I use a RRS Ascend tripod w/ anvil head now and find it very stable while still being very packable.

When using an element chassis and tripod i almost always found myself clamping the gun closer to the mag well for balance so i figured why would i need the additional length?