Berger 170gr EOL vs Matrix 165gr VLD plus freebies!

dotman

WKR
270 Win - Berger 170gr EOL vs Matrix 165gr VLD plus freebies!

Note to Rokslide Members. To make this post extra interesting, Berger and Rokslide have teamed up to giveaway two 25ct packages of the 170gr EOL .277 bullets. To enter, all you need to do is post questions or comments on this thread. If you don’t have anything to say but want to be entered anyway, just post a comment “count me in”. Robby will draw from the names of everyone who posted. It’s fine to post multiple times but your name will only be counted once in the drawing. You have 7 days to enter.

I want to thank Rokslide and Berger for letting me test out (donating) the new 170gr EOL, my main goal was to see IF it would stabilize in my 1:10 twist barrel, 1:8 is recommended by Berger. The Matrix bullet was my next bullet of choice that I purchased myself and is known to stabilize in a 1:10 twist barrel.

Now I'm not an expert by any means, I use a very simplistic approach to reloading in that I only use my press to either Full Length size or Neck size my cases. LE Wilson bullet seating dies have become my tool of choice and produce very very consistent results.

The rifle I'm using for this test is a Forbes 24B in 270 Win. Both bullets were loaded with the same exact components:

Powder - Alliant RL26
Brass - Winchester
Primer - Winchester Standard Large Rifle

Both bullets were loaded .02 off the lands which was way past fitting in my mag box, this was used for initial load development as there is very little information out there for max loads. I'm not going to post my actual loads but I will say I think Robby was nervous at first when I showed him my initial testing. To test I used the Audette Ladder method as I had a limited quantity of Bergers and time to figure out a load. Also Berger has come out with load data for various powders and the 170 EOL, if it isn't on their website just send them an email asking nicely for it.

My max range for testing was 300 yards, I'm not a long range hunter but do want my setup to have a punch and am a fan of heavier bullets with decent BC, both of these bullets would make me comfortable to my 600 yard limit. I was afraid I would be limited to 150gr bullets with the 270 but Berger and Matrix both stepped up and provided a bullet outside the norm but would they stabilize in the factory ER Shaw barrel on my Forbes?

In my initial testing I did have stability problems with the Berger at my lower powder charges when ladder testing but they seemed to stabilize when I hit about the middle charge. The Matrix seemed to stabilize at the lower charges. What I found though is that the Berger really has me smiling :) :). The Matrix is also a good choice and I think I could improve upon it but as you will see the Berger 5 shot group just edged out the Matrix.

Berger 170gr EOL 5 shot group test at 300 yards.

Matrix 165gr VLD 5 shot group at 300 yards, not sure what happened with the flyer to the right.

Now I know Robby is cussing me out now by not using inch grid targets but I'm cheap and have tons of the NRA targets and 3" orange circles :). I didn't take an additional picture with reference on the Matrix but since I'm really liking what I'm seeing with the Berger, I plan to buy a box shortly so I can continue to see if I can shrink this down, I did add a few reference items for group sizing.

Oh and my Forbes has a 24" barrel and below are the avg velocities from my magneto speed.

Berger - avg 5 shots 2897 ft/s.

Matrix - avg 5 shots 2883 ft/s

The Matrix did have a tad stouter powder charge but I do believe the smaller bearing surface of the Berger is what made it have the better overall avg velocity. In my testing my max charge for both the Berger and Matrix only showed very slight signs of primer flattening and no other signs but I didn't load to the max. I'll do more testing and post up what I find but I want to find a true max and see if I can get some more speed out of this.

Based on my Ballistics calculator, the Shooter app, at 660 yards the Berger 170gr EOL has a velocity of 2232 ft/s and an energy of 1881 ft/lbs.

Berger with a quarter and calipers.

Also one last note, I'm shooting at less then 1000ft above sea level, so stability will only improve with altitude. Results may very but I highly recommend giving both of these bullets a try and see if you have similar results.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

dotman

WKR
Game changers for the good old .270, and really would be awesome in the .270 wsm.

Would have to build it on a long action to really take advantage. I'm wondering if I went with a 270ai if it would be worth it. For this year I won't be making any changes but do wonder with the quality powders available if it would be worth it.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I've actually thought about building a .270WSM with a 1:8 Brux barrel just so I had something to shoot those bullets. I'd like to try them in one of my regular .270s after seeing your results.

Looks like great results. I'll keep checking back to see what your final results are. Particularly interested in the results with a barrel having a slower twist than berger recommends.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
If you load them to magazine length does the shoulder end up inside the case mouth?

Nope I did load a test load of one and they will be fine at mag length and still not crush the powder at the charge I'm using. I'll be doing more testing with it fitting in the mag but another thing to note. The mag box on the Forbes is 3.38 and I think a factory Remmington is 3.75 or something.

I have room for a tad bigger mag box so I'm going to see if I can get a factory Rem to fit.

Testing COAL for the Berger was 3.475 so to fit the mag box it is a 0.095 diff.

I think most people will not have an issue with a short mag box like I have.

Last edited:
OP
D

dotman

WKR
Dotman,

What is your COAL, and COAL to ogive with comparator?

COAL is 3.475 and ogive is 2.757 on the Berger. The Matrix is 3.410 COAL and ogive is 2.752.

The Berger bullet length consistently measured 1.49" and the Matrix and Nosler LRAB measured 1.43". I stopped messing with the Nosler as I lost interest in it.

westcoasthunter

Lil-Rokslider
Do you think the 170 berger will stabilize with a 1-9th barrel , I'm building a 270 wsm around the 165 matrix. Might have to try the 170's

OP
D

dotman

WKR
From what I'm seeing I would say yes but you'll have to test it.

Lexington

FNG
Count me in...
I have a Pre-64 featherweight that I'm having my gunsmith convert to 270wby... all about control & confidence on those steep angled shots and these bullets will have a dramatic impact in those longer/steeper shot scenarios

Count me in. I have been extremely happy with a 140gr Accubond in my .270 WSM. This is very interesting to into now.