Berger 245 EOL Best Cartridge

treillw

WKR
I want to build a rifle to shoot the Berger 245 EOL. I've read lots of old threads on the subject, but they were from last year when the bullet was new. Now that the bullet has been out (and unavailable lol) for awhile, is there any consensus on what the best cartridge is for these bullets. I've shot some 245s at 2694 fps from my win mag and see reports of nearly 3000 fps with larger cases. I'm looking at the rum and prc the most, but will consider anything really. All the options on 30 cal magnums is kind of overwhelming. I'd like to keep the barrel length on the shorter side - 24" or maybe 26" max. Wind drift is my primary concern in ballistics. It's easy to adjust for gravity. What would you chamber it in? Why? What velocity would you expect? Barrel twist?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would consider a RUM or Norma as the minimum, otherwise the lighter bullets will win in every aspect. In a 24" or less barrel I'd bet the 230's would perform better too. I haven't used the 245's but I think they'd need 100+/- grains of powder to beat 230 ballistics. I've killed a pile of critters with the 215's/230's in a 300 WM and 300 NM, if I wanted a heavier bullet I'd build a 338.

B23

WKR
That's a big heavy bullet so I'd go with something that had big case capacity, 30-338 Lapua Improved.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Go big, maybe the ones mentioned or a 30-378 wby in the mix. Twist a 1:9

NOT the PRC, that is just like the win Mag
I don't know what to believe about the prc. I see a lot of people saying they are getting ~3000 fps with them and less powder for velocity than the rum, others say it's the same as a win mag.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Wind drift is my primary concern in ballistics. It's easy to adjust for gravity.

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
300 norma improved. You won't run into any mag length issues with the norma case. You can also buy lapua brass which is a big plus.

B23

WKR
Since you're limiting your build to a 26in max length barrel it doesn't sound like you're trying to squeeze maximum velocity out of this build and I'm guessing you're wanting it to be a repeater not single shot which eliminates the 300 RUM or anything off a 338 Lapua case so I'd look at the 30 Nosler, 300 Norma or 300 Norma Improved. Alex Wheeler seems to have the 300 Norma Improved dialed in really well so that would be a good option.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I should add that I want this to be a packable rifle as well. I will carry it hundreds of miles. Carbon fiber barrel. Ti action. Anticipating 8.5 pounds, dressed for dinner (I know it's going to recoil). I'd like it to not be a single shot, but might be able to live with that if it's worth it.

For a gun that I don't want to carry, I might as well get a 16 pound 338.

B23

WKR
I should add that I want this to be a packable rifle as well. I will carry it hundreds of miles. Carbon fiber barrel. Ti action. Anticipating 8.5 pounds, dressed for dinner (I know it's going to recoil). I'd like it to not be a single shot, but might be able to live with that if it's worth it.

Those kinds of specs, you may be better off with a 300WSM shooting the Berger 215's or 230's.

Flyjunky

WKR
Like said above, with your requirements, I think I'd be looking at the 300 Norma Improved shooting the 230's or have Mike build you a 300 HCA throated for 230's.

If you really want the 245's then I'd look at the 30-338 lapua.

Last edited:
Last year I had a 338 Norma built. It's 9 lbs all up with a really heavy scope, bipod and TBAC suppressor. They can be lighter obviously with a different scope/bipod and muzzle brake, no problem shooting it a reasonable number of rounds.

300 grain bullets are much different than anything you can get in a 30 cal.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Would it make any sense for me to jump to a 338, keeping in mind the light weight of the rifle (8.5lb complete)? Don't want to be shooting a Lapua, etc at that weight, or I will have some expensive dentist bills.

Would it make any sense for me to jump to a 338, keeping in mind the light weight of the rifle (8.5lb complete)? Don't want to be shooting a Lapua, etc at that weight, or I will have some expensive dentist bills.
Yes, that's exactly what I did. 338 Norma for me. With the right muzzle device recoil is a non issue unless you like to shoot 100 rounds every time you go to the range.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Yes, that's exactly what I did. 338 Norma for me. With the right muzzle device recoil is a non issue unless you like to shoot 100 rounds every time you go to the range.
What bullet and velocity?