Berger 245 EOL Best Cartridge

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
88.5 grains of N570, great penetration and usually pass through.
I would expect that to thump a good bit. I'm playing with the recoil calculator online. It generates 58.53 ft*lb of recoil energy and I was getting 45 for a RUM and 30 for my WIN.

You're not like a boxer or something....? haha

I know this is an older post, but just saw it. For what it’s worth, I have some experience with the monster 30 cals.
The 30-378 has been around for decades, but is known to need a long ass barrel to get the potential out of it.
I shot a Lazzeroni Warbird for quite a while. Few years back I switched from a 180 Barnes going Mach 2 to the 230gr Berger Hybrid shooting a hair under 3000. Barrel is 1:10 and magazine length was my limiting factor on COAL. It could handle the 245, but I think you’d want a 1:9 to be safe and magazine length may force you to seat the bullets a little deeper to get them to cycle smoothly.
The monster 30 cals are bad ass and all. Hit like the hand of god. We’ve killed a lot of bulls with it. All that said… when I dumped several grand into a custom build, I built a 300WM. And to top that, I just built a “deer” gun that is like carrying a suppressed pop gun. 4lbs 12oz. I needed it… So obviously I have migrated away from the sledgehammer thrower over the last several years.
Just another caliber for you to research in the recliner at nights.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I know this is an older post, but just saw it. For what it’s worth, I have some experience with the monster 30 cals.
The 30-378 has been around for decades, but is known to need a long ass barrel to get the potential out of it.
I shot a Lazzeroni Warbird for quite a while. Few years back I switched from a 180 Barnes going Mach 2 to the 230gr Berger Hybrid shooting a hair under 3000. Barrel is 1:10 and magazine length was my limiting factor on COAL. It could handle the 245, but I think you’d want a 1:9 to be safe and magazine length may force you to seat the bullets a little deeper to get them to cycle smoothly.
The monster 30 cals are bad ass and all. Hit like the hand of god. We’ve killed a lot of bulls with it. All that said… when I dumped several grand into a custom build, I built a 300WM. And to top that, I just built a “deer” gun that is like carrying a suppressed pop gun. 4lbs 12oz. I needed it… So obviously I have migrated away from the sledgehammer thrower over the last several years.
Just another caliber for you to research in the recliner at nights.
Tell me more about your "pop gun" haha

I am not a fad guy… that being said. 6.5CM. Yep. 6.5CM, you heard of it?

But seriously, it’s awesome. Western Precision put it together. Defiance anti, 18in. carbon wrap that is lighter than a scendero light proof, suppressed it with an over the barrel from Idaho. Wanted a light, short, easy to pack little rifle for mainly all of our mule deer, etc. type of hunts that the kids, wife and/or I could all use. Got it with less than a week left in the season and we pole axed 2 bucks. 153grs was enough for them at least. It’s my first suppressor, so it’s been awesome to shoot. Literally like a pellet gun.
Anyways, yeah, I have a Lazzeroni and a 6.5 and I say I don’t like fads. Maybe I just buy into a fad every 20 years?
Back to the 245s. If I would have waited a year and been more educated, I would have rebarrelled my Lazzeroni differently and tried shooting them. That’s a lot of lead coming down range. If you go with that bullet, you should definitely hear the instant gratification when you smack a bull.

Those kinds of specs, you may be better off with a 300WSM shooting the Berger 215's or 230's.
I built a 10lb...1 ounce norma ai with a 7-35 mark5 on top.. shoots 245s 3040 average.. it is very light and Is a 25inch barrel