Berger Long Range Hybrid Target for hunting

BjornF16

WKR
For those who use Berger Target Bullets for hunting (no lectures please), is anyone using the LRHT for hunting?

If so, are you modifying the meplat or using them out of the box?

I found a bunch of 144 gr LRHT in 6.5 at my LGS while shelf checking for my 6.5 RPM

LRHT is a "pointed" bullet and that's definitely not what you want for expansion. Pointed bullets have the hollow point almost completely closed in the name of higher BC.

Ja, I get that pointed is not what you want for hunting.

But is anyone trimming meplat to open the mouth?

I snagged 3 boxes without researching them first. I suppose I could sell or trade them…

For those who use Berger Target Bullets for hunting (no lectures please), is anyone using the LRHT for hunting?

If so, are you modifying the meplat or using them out of the box?

I found a bunch of 144 gr LRHT in 6.5 at my LGS while shelf checking for my 6.5 RPM

You could trim them and they work if they’re opened enough. Otherwise, no those bullets aren’t great in tissue.

My son dumped a nice antelope at 540 with the new 135 Berger LR hybrid target. I did take a tiny bit to ”clear” the opening prior to shooting.

Sample size of one was great. Punched through with a half-dollar sized exit. Buck staggered about three yards and went down.

dave

My dad and brother each shot an antelope this weekend with the 190 LRHT. We did clear the meplat with a .025 drill bit which is very minimal. 309 yards and 605 yards. Both performed very well. About a 2" exit hole on both. Here is a picture of one jacket we found under the hide on the exit side.

Attachments

• 1004211229a_HDR.jpg
    1004211229a_HDR.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 73
I’m shooting the LRHT 135gr .257 in a 25 creedmoor. So far 3 antelope and one mature mule deer buck killed. Distances from 250ish to 495. Performance has been excellent. Only had one exit, and that was a doe antelope at about 350 shot through the ribs. Otherwise they have essentially detonated inside the chest. All shots did contact some shoulder bone/scapula, except the one that exited which was through the ribs. Animals were either DRT or took a couple steps at most. I opened the tips just slightly; will do less opening on the next round as they were pretty explosive. I will continue to kill with these unless I see evidence of poor expansion.

Following up here: ended up with another mule deer from the 25creed in Colorado. Bullets performed well at 630 and 670 yards. Made a bad shot on the first and went through his arm and brisket required a follow up which was liver and single lung. They exited at this distance with a nice golf ball sized exit and good internal damage. Going to be using them again this year in my 25-284 which is going about 200fps faster at 3015fps. So far I feel comfortable with their performance—both mule deer were large mature bucks

Following up here: ended up with another mule deer from the 25creed in Colorado. Bullets performed well at 630 and 670 yards. Made a bad shot on the first and went through his arm and brisket required a follow up which was liver and single lung. They exited at this distance with a nice golf ball sized exit and good internal damage. Going to be using them again this year in my 25-284 which is going about 200fps faster at 3015fps. So far I feel comfortable with their performance—both mule deer were large mature bucks
How much did you open those up? I am building a 7 Mega around the 190 Hybrid and am trying to figure out whether to open them up or not. I have another buddy running the 195 in a 28 Nosler and not opening them up and performance is spectacular.

How much did you open those up? I am building a 7 Mega around the 190 Hybrid and am trying to figure out whether to open them up or not. I have another buddy running the 195 in a 28 Nosler and not opening them up and performance is spectacular.
I pretty much just made sure the tips were completely open down to the lead, and maybe a tiny bit more open but didn’t take off much material at all.

Back