Best 275/55 r20 truck tire

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for everyone's preference on a good all terrain 275/55 r 20 tire. Needs to be good in mud and snow, also needs to be fairly quiet on pavement. I'd like to keep it under $250/ tire. Thanks in advance!

Rob5589

WKR
I recently had the Toyo AT3 installed on my Ram. Impressed ao far. Nice on road, did well off. No snow experience yet, but they are snow rated. They are an AT so not a dedicated mud tire. I have found full muds to be poor snow tires.

Roy68

WKR
Falken Wildpeak

I've got them on my Sierra and really like them.

Opposite for me. I have a set of these on an 05 tundra. I bought the truck used and the tires were newly installed. Approx 15,000 miles on them now and they are falling apart. Truck sees around 150-200 miles of rock, sand, and unmaintained dirt roads a week. They are rock chipping severely. I doubt they will last until the end of the year. One flat so far and it looked like a rock puncture, but no proof of that. I have No idea on snow performance. My experience is these are better suited to limited off road use. Again my experience.

I’ve ran Michelin LTX AT in the same conditions for some time now on heavier vehicles with great durability and longevity avg of 45K miles. I have a set of Cooper Discover AT that are wearing well too.

frosty_1

FNG
Michelin Defender LTX. I have gone away from AT/Mud tires...too noisy and handle poorly. The Michelin's are great in rain/snow we get here in Oregon and are quiet. I also have had zero issues on gravel, in mud, etc. They don't look as cool as a set of K02's, but they sure perform better IMO.

nrtzz

FNG
I've got a 2WD 2019 F-150, I went up a size to 275/60/20 and put on Nitto Ridge Grapplers, I have not had them in the snow (texas) but had them in some mud and they impressed me. For as "aggressive" looking as they are, they are not very loud on the highway to me. I did not go with the LT rated tire, though.

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
Cooper ATX3 I'm on my third set, drive thru Sodak fields every fall chasing birds, get almost 45,000 miles on set with rotating at oil changes. Getting a new set before Colorado, but current set still has good tread on tires but with both trips within a couple weeks of each other better safe than sorry. Tires really chew up our lake effect snow averaging over 240" a year ride is good and reasonably quiet mileage is avg around 16mpg on 2012 ram 1500

Hovenator

WKR
I’ve had the Cooper AT3‘s also. An awesome tire! Super quiet, great in rain and snow, and surprisingly good off road. Plus, they have different side walls and load ratings for whatever you’re looking for. Probably the best pick of the bunch so far!

Can't go wrong with the Cooper, General Grabber, or Falken's recommend already.

+1 on the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's though. Mine are 265/70 R17's but they are substantially better on-road than the Goodyear DuraTrac's that came on my truck, and haven't let me down offroad.

I will note, that they seem to be wearing faster than expected on the shoulder, but I believe that's because I upsized and had some rubbing for the first few hundred miles before I got the fenders trimmed up.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I just put a set of firestone destination xt on my dodge. So far so good. But haven’t had them in winter, or really greasy mud. On gravel and some forest service roads after a storm they have been great. Have to see how they handle iced up foresees roads and hills, but I usually chain up anyway.

Anything on a 17 or smaller rim.

I can't complain about nittos on my trucks. Just don't understand why you would have big wheels on a truck.

OP
C

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider

I can't complain about nittos on my trucks. Just don't understand why you would have big wheels on a truck.
Because it is impossible to find the truck I wanted with the options I wanted with a wheel size under 20". I absolutely believe a 17" tire performs better than most 20".

Rob5589

WKR

Larger brakes. My 19 Ram has factory 18's with maybe 5mm of caliper clearance. Most aftermarket 18's will not fit.
I do agree with you, however. Smaller rim means more sidewall, better rim protection, less chance of throwing a bead when aired down, more compliant over obstacles. Unfortunately, manufacturers don't think that way.