Best 300 win mag mountain rifle

I am looking to buy my first 300 win mag. I’m torn between the Weatherby Vanguard Talon and The Browning X-Bolt speed. This will be a back country rifle. Any recommendations?

I have the Browning X-Blot speed chambered in 300 win mag. Absolutely love the gun. It shoots sub moa out of the box with factory ammo. Mine likes the 165g TTSX Barnes Vortex bullets.

I haven’t shot 180g. It shot so good with the 165g TTSX I haven’t tried anything else. I haven’t even bothered reloading either. Trying to find RL22 before I start experimenting.

Mine does have a 26” barrel. It seems a tad bit long but the gun feels very balanced. I wouldn’t hesitate to bring it backpacking.

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
Are those 26” barrel lengths that include the brake? That seems really long for busting brush.
I agree with the Tikka or my .300 is a Sako Finnlight 85, then I put it in a used Fierce Cf stock. Right at 8 pounds scoped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
Are those 26” barrel lengths that include the brake? That seems really long for busting brush.
I agree with the Tikka or my .300 is a Sako Finnlight 85, then I put it in a used Fierce Cf stock. Right at 8 pounds scoped.

Yes I think 26 inches is pretty standard for 300 win mag.

Are you dead set on 300 Win Mag? Do you reload?

It definitely packs a punch, but it's an ancient cartridge design and factory rifles + factory ammo can be finicky since the tolerances are so loose compared to newer cartridges like 300 PRC or 7 PRC. 6.5PRC will have less recoil and likely shoot better, still capable of killing elk past 800 yds. Heck, even 6.5 Creedmoor will do that.

Do some research on this site and see the success of hunters NOT shooting the big magnums...

Tikka T3 Super Light. Son has one and lovs it.
Tikka x2. Once you get used to a bolt action feeling that way you can't go back. Everyone I've had or used has performed out of the box. My only gripe is the factory stocks on the lite rifles leave a lot to be desired. I'd either just use it as is until I can upgrade to something better or maybe look at some of the rifles a step up such as the Tikka roughtech.

I ended up with a Sako S20 in 300 win mag but had I to do it over again I'd buy the Tikka with plans to buy an AG composite or equivalent stock that I'd probably never get around to doing or justify but they sure look good.

Other considerations I made when I went down your path was I wanted something light, stainless (it rains here a lot) and threaded I could add a brake onto if I wanted.

Best of luck.

I have the vanguard talon and it’s silly how accurate the thing is. Mine is in 6.5 creedmoor and shoots 1/2” groups at 200 yards with Remington core lokt ammo. Can’t ask for more than that!

With the Peak44 it’s definitely a better value than the browning, however the browning is still a great rifle.

I have the vanguard talon and it’s silly how accurate the thing is. Mine is in 6.5 creedmoor and shoots 1/2” groups at 200 yards with Remington core lokt ammo. Can’t ask for more than that!

With the Peak44 it’s definitely a better value than the browning, however the browning is still a great rifle.

Remington Core Lokt really? I'll be, never had luck with that stuff. Maybe the Czech's will make it more consistent. https://www.americanrifleman.org/co...s-federal-cci-hevi-shot-remington-ammo-speer/

Remington Core Lokt really? I'll be, never had luck with that stuff. Maybe the Czech's will make it more consistent. https://www.americanrifleman.org/co...s-federal-cci-hevi-shot-remington-ammo-speer/

Funny enough, core lokt 165gr 30-06 was the cartridge that my XPR liked the most. 3/4 MOA 100 yard groups with that stuff. Never had much luck with it with other firearms, but it’s always been fairly consistent sub-minute-of-deer.

Every 30 caliber I've had shot 1/3 MOA single shot groups too.

Hard to believe soft point Corelokts would shoot that well with 5+ round groups...

OP
C

Good to hear. Ya the Peak 44 stock really has me leaning that way. What scope are you using?

BigStick

Lil-Rokslider
All 30's are never not a rather poor choice,due projectiles.

RPM/COAL/Throat Geometry are what matter most and the VG/Browning are exceedingly poor mechanical choices there.................

jimh406

WKR
If you will restock it, shop for the stock first. Then, pick the donor rifle. A folding stock could be pretty handy.

There isn't a lot of reason to pay for an expensive stock if you will be changing it. I would also consider barreled actions.

I'd also consider an action that is similar to what you already have with similar controls.