Best arrow setup for whitetail.

I looking to change it up this year i want to try out a different arrow setup. And all ill be hunting with them is eastern whitetail. Im shooting 60 pounds at a 27 inch draw.

ncavi8tor

WKR
Any arrow 420 grains and higher. I like at least a 7 gpp arrow setup.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zac

Trial153

WKR
I think keeping things simple for a pure whitetail set up makes sense. Standard size inserts like Easton H inserts or BEA Spartans ect .... for Arrows Hexx, ACCs, BEA Spartans, victory V force ect ect....all work just fine.
If your using fixed blade heads look for finished weights between 450-500 grain and if your a mechanical guy look at finished weights around 550

My whitetail set up is 390 ACC Prohunters with 75 grain brass H inserts, fixed blade heads, IW and Solids....475 grains total weight.

Brizzle

FNG
I shoot a 360g arrow and it works just fine. I don’t think there’s too many setups that won’t work well for white tail at 60# 27”. Just don’t shoot rage… or any Broadhead not made in the US!

Shot whatever setup you think will give you the most confidence in. If you can’t trust your arrow or broadhead you will never feel confident enough to try and make a hard shot.

that said cut on contact fixed blades

For $190+ a dozen, I can tell you I’ll never shoot the Victory RIP TKO’s again. What a garbage weak arrow.
Broke half a dozen, 2 at TAC, 3 on whitetail and one when during tuning, forgot to check my sights after moving the rest and hit the top of the target.

Never had anything like this happen with another arrow. Also, on whitetail I’ll never shoot anything under 550 again. No need to go light, doesn’t hurt to go heavy as I’m not shooting 40+ yards

bigbuckdj

WKR
For $190+ a dozen, I can tell you I’ll never shoot the Victory RIP TKO’s again. What a garbage weak arrow.
Broke half a dozen, 2 at TAC, 3 on whitetail and one when during tuning, forgot to check my sights after moving the rest and hit the top of the target.

Never had anything like this happen with another arrow. Also, on whitetail I’ll never shoot anything under 550 again. No need to go light, doesn’t hurt to go heavy as I’m not shooting 40+ yards

I love rip tkos and haven’t had a problem with durability. I feel like maybe you got a bad batch or something. I’ll let others chime in but I haven’t heard of durability being a concern with those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love rip tkos and haven’t had a problem with durability. I feel like maybe you got a bad batch or something. I’ll let others chime in but I haven’t heard of durability being a concern with those.

I would have thought so for how expensive they are. I bought one batch (dozen) from my local pro shop, and another half dozen was brought to me from his shop out in Montana. Can't imagine that these 18 were from the same batch considering the 1,000 mile difference.

I won't ever shoot em again- glad they are working well for you!

I would have thought so for how expensive they are. I bought one batch (dozen) from my local pro shop, and another half dozen was brought to me from his shop out in Montana. Can't imagine that these 18 were from the same batch considering the 1,000 mile difference.

I won't ever shoot em again- glad they are working well for you!
I feel that way about their RIP XV's.

For whitetail I use the same as my elk set up. 472g black eagle rampages with an easton HIT, SS ethics collar and a 125g head. Typically lean towards the QAD Exodus head but I've used Sevr and VPA's as well. Watching my 556g trad arrows pass through whitetail with a big dirt nap head, I've rethought my understanding of penetration and the issues associated with it.

NY12020

FNG
Any at your specs. Amazes me guys don’t realize that set up with any head will blow right through all deer. Use whatever strikes you as something you’d like to try. There’s no best
I agree...for whitetails at your specs just take any standard diameter hunting arrow, slap on a 100gr or 125gr head and it will work just fine. I'm also with @Brizzle not a fan of large mechanicals either.

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
I think a lot of guys really overthink this, all the foc and heavy arrows. I’ve shot 350-350 grain gold tip 22s for whitetail for a long time, same arrow at I used to shoot tournaments with. Shoot them w a 100 grain slick trick and have prob shot 2 deer a yr/average for long time w zero regrets or lack of passing through 99% of them.
Pick an arrow and go hunt.

I shot a 400gn arrow at 312pfs with 100gn Muzzy Phantoms for 8 yrs and had fantastic results on whitetail...not as good on hogs. Pretty much went through anything shot in the ribs with whitetail. On hogs...I'd get an occasional pass through...mostly stop in off side shield or rib cage. In 2020 I shot a nice buck with this setup and had a deflection that sent the arrow in the base of the neck. Tracked the buck after 2 hours....jumped him. let him set over night. Found the next morning completely scavenged... The phantom was lodged in the vertebra....the bleeder blades folded like tissue paper. I switched this year to a heavier setup with 200gn Cutthroats. Shot a buck and a doe. Buck was dead in 30 yrds. Doe was shot high in shoulder complete pass through. She went about 100yds.

I think you need to focus on the broadhead more than the total weight This year I ended up at 654gns...yes that's a lot of arrow....but I think I'm going to back down to the 550 range and keep the 200gn Cutthroats.

I have the vertebra from last years deer with the Phantom lodged in it. You can see where the vertebra was starting to split. I totally believe the bleeder blades killed the momentum of that arrow and cost me recovering that deer in a timely manner.

Find and nice solid fixed blade head (Iron Will, Cutthroat, VPA, Day 6 etc...) Make sure the broadheads are SHARP!!!! and you'll be fine.

Think you got this figured out with the age of the original post but I’ll bite…

I got a new bow and new sweet up in 2021 with a pretty similar set up to the OP. I have a 27 in draw length and at 70 lb draw weight. Went with Easton FMJ arrows at 26-1/4” long, factory 3 fletch, 75 grain brass insert and 150 grain single bevel Cutthroat broadheads. Only complaint I have are the FMJs are very fragile. And with the snout of shooting I do, I went through a lot of arrows. I may switch to Axis arrows this season.

I try not to press my opinion on people, just give my experience and info and let them decide. But one thing strongly suggest are fix blade broadheads. In watching quite a few hunting shows this past fall, I noticed one show I watched quite a bit, they all shot mechanical broadheads. They never seemed to have a pass through and tracked deer a long way before finding them dead. I don’t know all about their set ups, but I was very surprised.

I shot a buck this fall, caught the back of the shoulder blade and went through the center of a rib bone on either side for a complete pass through at 25 yards. He only went 20 yards and died within 60 seconds. I was thoroughly impressed.