New hunting arrow setup suggestions, what are y’all shooting?

JStol5

WKR
5mm with HIT inserts and collars. 3 or 4 fletch of your choice. A good mechanical broadhead. 450-490 grains for your draw weight and draw length.

I shoot 5mm 300 spine axis with 3 AAE max stealth vanes, 16 grain HITs, 10 grain ironwill collars, 125 grain grim reaper mechanicals. TAW roughly 495 grains. Shooting at 73 pounds at a 29 inch draw out of a Bowtech SS34. Not a speed bow but it shoots great. Getting mid 270s.

If I switch arrows it will likely be Gold Tip Airstrikes or RIP TKOs so that I can use a heavier/more solid HIT.

Last edited:
Even with a decent SS or Ti outsert you'd still advise against it? Curious why you say to ignore FOC/KE/Momentum?
Regardless of material, outserts/half-outs extend a significant amount beyond the end of the arrow shaft, which makes them more susceptible to bending and makes it more difficult to maintain concentricity with the shaft. A SS or Ti half-out would be better than an aluminum or brass version, but I would still use a HIT because they're inherently stronger and easier to keep aligned with the shaft.

The importance of FOC is vastly overstated by many archery "influencers" out there. To hit 15% FOC with a lighted nock, you'll have to use a low gpi shaft (which usually means a less durable shaft) or exceed your stated total arrow weight target (450-475 gr). Build for the TAW and/or speed you want with the components you want and let FOC fall where it may.

KE is determined by your bow. The arrow has negligible influence on KE, so there's no point in comparing the KE of different arrow "builds." Any calculator showing more than a few percent of difference in KE between any two arrows (shot out of the same bow) is using faulty assumptions in the calculations.

Chasing momentum will always lead you to a heavier arrow. As with FOC, build for the TAW/speed you want and let momentum fall where it may.

IMO you're on the right track targeting a 450-475 gr arrow at 270-280 fps...don't let these other calculated metrics derail you.

Lytro

WKR
Use Archer's Advantage or a similar application to play around with different arrows and configurations. You may find out that the numbers you're wanting aren't quite possible. I haven't built any arrows as short as you will need, but 15% FOC under 475 gr seems like a tough task, especially with a lighted nock.

The importance of FOC is vastly overstated by many archery "influencers" out there. To hit 15% FOC with a lighted nock, you'll have to use a low gpi shaft (which usually means a less durable shaft) or exceed your stated total arrow weight target (450-475 gr). Build for the TAW and/or speed you want with the components you want and let FOC fall where it may.

I wholly agree with this. Granted. I have a smaller frame of data to pick from, but for me to hit 15% FOC on my 31" arrows, I need to have 150g points and 100g worth of weight in the insert which would give me a 620g arrow.. NAH bro. i'm happy with my 11% FOC. I've shot less FOC than that in the past and the deer never knew the difference. I'll stick with my 550g arrow at 282 fps. more than enough power to kill just about anything on land. I'm pretty sure that will work for elk this coming fall

Shameless plug for myself here, but I've got some Axis arrows and components that would be just about perfect for you.

26" 340 spine shaft, 16gr HIT insert, 40gr collar, 125gr point. Q2i Rapt-X vanes in 3-fletch and Easton X-Nock. 461 TAW, 16.4% FOC.

I've used these same arrows with a 28" draw length on a PSE, Bowtech, and Hoyt. They have been just barely long enough for the collar to avoid hitting the rest (I've used Vapor Trail, Ripcord, Hamskea, and QAD), but they are still long enough.

1709845698820.png

bober90

FNG
I’ve been shooting the Sirius Orions for about 2 years and they’ve been great. Come in around 455 grains and shooting around 270fps at my short, 26.5 draw.

They were a bit more finicky to get tuned than my 5mm gold tips, but happy with the results.

Regarding outserts, I’m using the Ethics outserts and collars and have had no durability issues. I also leave the stems full length. Perhaps that helps some?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
Thanks for the input everyone. I’m working too much to address each input but I’ll definitely take a look at different options.

At this point I’m going to go with VICTORY for my shafts for sure as I can get a good deal from a buddy. Just have to decide on the rest of the components now.

nphunter

WKR
Thanks for the input everyone. I’m working too much to address each input but I’ll definitely take a look at different options.

At this point I’m going to go with VICTORY for my shafts for sure as I can get a good deal from a buddy. Just have to decide on the rest of the components now.

I would decide on the head you want and pick an arrow that will work with it. If they offer a deep six head they work great in the 4mm. If they have a glue in option IMO that is the best option for 4mm.

Component availability is the only downside to a skinny shaft. They are durable and have less wind drift and should also have less drag passing through and animal. None of these things matter in real life because they are so small advantages that they really don’t make a difference. Shot placement is really the only thing that matters in archery.

Personally I will take every advantage i can get to help my arrow hit the mark. I tune my bow so it shooting awesome out to way past where I would hunt and buy arrows I believe will be the most accurate.

I’m shouting an Easton Pro Comp arrow this year with Evolution glue in points. I’ve had great luck with mechanicals even at 27.5” draw and will hunt with them always due to the forgiveness and large holes. The glue in system is awesome, I can build a new arrow in just a few minutes and go shoot. It’s easy to remove the heads with boiling water or a heat gun and they are very durable.

To save a few bucks I also am shooting glue in target points that are 4.2mm cut to the exact weight of my broadheads and collars. I only buy used arrows since I can get them cheap and 90% of the time I can cut them shorter since I have a short draw. I’d much rather a great used arrow than a less great new one.

28707671-43FF-4686-91BC-5EE5688551EF.jpeg

ncavi8tor

WKR
I'm going back to American Made Easton AXIS Match Grade with Iron Will components for this coming season. Tired of trying to get HIT inserts to stick in RIP TKO shafts and I do not like any of the half-serts that I've tested.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jack84

FNG
Classified Approved
I just built some Easton axis long range with evolution glue in field points and glue in Jekyll heads. So far I’m impressed!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm going back to American Made Easton AXIS Match Grade with Iron Will components for this coming season. Tired of trying to get HIT inserts to stick in RIP TKO shafts
I haven't had any trouble at all with my 75gr brass HIT's or regular aluminum 16gr HIT's in two dozen RIP TKO's, but I always use my 2-part golf club epoxy. Going on three years with the RIP TKO's without a problem, and six years before that with GT Kinetic shafts.

nphunter

WKR
I just built some Easton axis long range with evolution glue in field points and glue in Jekyll heads. So far I’m impressed!

You can buy some 180-200gr 4.2mm glue in points and cut them down to 160gr like the glue in broadhead and collars. The collars get hung up bad in my bag target and I’ve had one come off in the target. I’ll be using the smaller glue in points from now on, they are also like half the cost at $22 for a dozen shipped.

ccarr

FNG
I'm going back to American Made Easton AXIS Match Grade with Iron Will components for this coming season. Tired of trying to get HIT inserts to stick in RIP TKO shafts and I do not like any of the half-serts that I've tested.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
This..

Jbxl20

WKR
Easton axis 5mm are tough arrows.
300 spine match grades
50 grain brass insert
I like the idea of a collar but I’ve just been using the Broadhead adapter rings and durability has been fine.
I like a good fixed blade. Iron wills lately but I used annihilators in the past, also seen good results with QAD exodus heads.
3 fletch AAE max vanes
About 500 grains and I have them coming out of my Bowtech SR350 at 279 fps on Comfort mode.

Houseminer

Lil-Rokslider
For reference. I'm running victory rip tko 300. 28" 3 max stealth vanes, no wrap. 100gr point, 75gr half outsert, 460ish total weight. I'd run the rip over the vap for the component durability.

Marble

WKR
Easton axis 5mm are tough arrows.
300 spine match grades
50 grain brass insert
I like the idea of a collar but I’ve just been using the Broadhead adapter rings and durability has been fine.
I like a good fixed blade. Iron wills lately but I used annihilators in the past, also seen good results with QAD exodus heads.
3 fletch AAE max vanes
About 500 grains and I have them coming out of my Bowtech SR350 at 279 fps on Comfort mode.
This is like my setup. It is super simple. You can practice with field points, change it out to a broadhead adding the adapter ring and everything stays happy.

I shake my head when guys make it so overly complicated.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
Shot Easton axis 300’s and liked them. This year switched to rip tko’s v1. Little lighter gpi on the 300 spine. 29 inch arrow , 60 grain ss outsirt, 100 grain head. 445 arrow weight going 288. Seem to fly great and hit hard.

Switched this year from Easton Axis 340 Match Grades to Victory RIP XV 300s.

Currently shooting a RIP XV 300 cut to 26.75” with a 75 grain steel half-out, 15 grain titanium collar, and 100 grain points. AAE IP nocks and AAE Hybrid 26s on the rear.

Total arrow weight is 414 and FOC is 19%.

My goal this year was to shoot something with a lighter GPI that I could make the weight up in up front. I understand the XV series arrows are thinner walled shafts which might end up being more brittle and prone to breaking after passing through an animal, but I tend to look at arrows shot at animals as a disposable item as it is. If it comes out unscathed, even better. Over the course of the last half dozen years (the amount of time I shot the Axis shafts) I missed a target less times than I can count on one hand so I’m not concerned with durability during practice. YMMV.

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
5mm Easton Axis 260 spine. Yes, I have along draw. VPA 125gn vented broadheads, blazers.