Best Barrel Length for 270 Winchester. Factory loads

Ive got a 270 Win contemplating chopping the barrel down 2.5" and having it threaded for a can. Currently its set up with 22" all shots will be under 400 yards. Has anyone seen any negatives ? or foresee any negatives ? I shoot with hearing protection regardless if with a can or not and understandably I know it will be louder.

ElPollo

WKR
For ballistics, the only potential downside inside 400 yards would be with non-lead bullets like the TTSX, GMX, and E-tips. You can expect to lose another 100-200 FPS below your current velocities. That’s a pretty significant cut when considering non-lead bullet expansion. That might cut your reliable expansion distance back to 200-250 yards. If you don’t shoot monos, you are likely fine out to your stated 400 yard distance.

OP
BraedenD93
For ballistics, the only potential downside inside 400 yards would be with non-lead bullets like the TTSX, GMX, and E-tips. You can expect to lose another 100-200 FPS below your current velocities. That’s a pretty significant cut when considering non-lead bullet expansion. That might cut your reliable expansion distance back to 200-250 yards. If you don’t shoot monos, you are likely fine out to your stated 400 yard distance.
Yeah I dont shoot mono's almost 100% bonded solely for preference.

J Dubaya

FNG
I did this exact same thing to my T3x and didn’t notice any change to accuracy. I don’t reload so that made it more challenging to find the right load, but mine loves Federal Fusion 150. Shoots 1/2 MOA with it. Tried many other options and this rifle just loves these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BraedenD93
I did this exact same thing to my T3x and didn’t notice any change to accuracy. I don’t reload so that made it more challenging to find the right load, but mine loves Federal Fusion 150. Shoots 1/2 MOA with it. Tried many other options and this rifle just loves these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input ! do you shoot with a can ?

Tobey

Lil-Rokslider
I've chopped the hell out of most of my barrels since I started using cans and don't miss any of it. If you are obsessed with velocity (like I was) and own a chronograph (which I do), you will struggle with the concept at first. I've shortened five barrels so far and found 25 fps to be a solid average for loss per inch (five barrels does not constitue a scientific shit load, your results may vary). I'm aware of some dudes that consider losing 1-200 fps a complete disaster and might encourage you to sell your rifle and buy a cat if you're not squared away for 900 yard shots at zebras or whatever else it is they're not inclined to get closer to. Inside 400 yards and even a good bit further in most cases it's not a big deal.

If you’re shooting primarily 130 grain cup and core bullets, you’ll never miss the 2 1/2”
140 grain bullets you’ll notice a bit of difference but not terrible
150 grain bullets is where it really starts to deteriorate. Most model metal bullets are going to suffer the same effects as 150 grain cup and core.
160 grain and up in a really hurt you, but most 270s don’t have the twist to stabilize those anyway.