Best camo pattern?

What is the best pattern for mid sept hunt in the mountains?

Now in saying that I won't be decking out all in one pattern/brand. I am piecing my gear together with what I can find on sale or used but what should I be looking for?

Camofire has C4E in Mountain mimicry and Realtree Ap for instance, which one should I be getting?

I typically wear darker colors here in Ga. but seems like it might be too dark for west?

Thanks.

Doesn't really matter but if I were to choose I would stick to bigger patterns such as asat and vias that really break up your outline.

ASAT and Predator Fall Brown are the best camo patterns out there. Ugly to the eye but actually work well on animals

As stated it does not matter, but personally I love the old school predator which makes me really like vias. I also really like verde. Of the standard camo I like max 1 the best. But honestly I've killed animals in solids as well. Movement is much more critical. Camo is more for the hunter then the game anymore. And I see nothing wrong with that. When your out there you should be confident in everything you have including your camo pattern. There are so many choices it seems foolish not to find one you have faith in, wether that be Kuiu's, optifade, kryptek or one of the mass produced brands.

Shrek

WKR
Like tipsntails7 said. Camo is mostly for you and like Justin says a large high contrast pattern works . I'm buying ASAT now but I know for sure that movement and silhouette control is the real deal.

Yes movement is key. But camo does make a different I believe and not all camo is created equal. This comes from many years of western bowhunting. I have had elk and deer spot me in "blob type" camo like mossy oak and dark camo as well as solid colors. And I have also had many animals stare right through me wearing camo patterns that break up your human outline. camo patterns like ASAT.

I had an elk come by me once. I was sitting perfectly still resting and had this bull feeding up to me. I was wearing solid colors (as I was out hiking). He lifted his head and was feeding and looking around. he happened to spot my outline sitting there and about lost his lunch it scared him so bad. No movement at all. It was all based on my outline that must have been "un natural."

On the otherside of the spectrum I have had bulls at 10 yards head on stare right through me and have no clue I was there wearing ASAT or predator brown

Vitals

WKR
Don't overlook Mountain Mimicry in the C4E stuff. The only problem with patterns like vias, ASAT, Verde is they are only seen in the high $ gear. I've loved every C4E piece I've bought and the MM camo pattern is a solid one I think. Plus the deals on the gear are hard to ignore.

What is the best pattern for mid sept hunt in the mountains?

Now in saying that I won't be decking out all in one pattern/brand. I am piecing my gear together with what I can find on sale or used but what should I be looking for?

Camofire has C4E in Mountain mimicry and Realtree Ap for instance, which one should I be getting?

I typically wear darker colors here in Ga. but seems like it might be too dark for west?

Thanks.

Don't overlook Mountain Mimicry in the C4E stuff. The only problem with patterns like vias, ASAT, Verde is they are only seen in the high $ gear. I've loved every C4E piece I've bought and the MM camo pattern is a solid one I think. Plus the deals on the gear are hard to ignore.

You can get predator brown pretty cheap. Which is possibly my favorite camo pattern of all time. For me it's tuff to find quality gear in that pattern. It got to the point where my father bought rolls of the pattern on fleece and tailored a jacke and pants for each of us out of it. The best archery clothes I have ever worn. Sadly I have outgrown it. My dad still uses it to this day.

Last edited:
You can get predator brown pretty cheap. Which is possibly my favorite camo pattern of all time. For me it's tuff to find quality her in that pattern. It got to the point where my father bought rolls of the pattern on fleece and tailored a jacke and pants for each of us out of it. The best archery clothes I have ever worn. Sadly I have outgrown it. My dad still uses it to this day.

Grey Wolf woolens and Day One camo offer garments in Predator Brown. I have some pants by Grey Wolf woolens called "wolfskin." They custom make them to fit your size. Awesome material. Wicks moisture and quiet like fleece. I have the unlined version. The make jackets, bibs, etc

Man they don't gives those bad boys away do they. I'll have to pick a pair at some point. Thanks for the heads up justin.

No they sure don't haha. The lined stuff is even more expensive. I like the wolfskin material its pretty nice. I have a pair that has lasted 7 years. Barley looks used.

I also like Firstlite clothes.. They offer in ASAT thou and not predator brown.

ozyclint

WKR
do some searches on 'tusx' on facebook. a very hardcore hunter here in australia is coming out with his own clothes. they will be the mountain hunters dream.

jlsteel

FNG
My fave camo are wind, noise, movement control. Vias and ASAT are dead sexy though. I don't doubt that some camos work slightly better than others. When i get busted up close its always not the camo but I'm not good enough of a hunter where different camos matter

n2horns

WKR
vias, predator and asat are top notch. I like the look of kryptek but seems at a distance to also blob out. Sometimes wearing camo is to hide from hunters not animals.

bobhunts

WKR
I use Vias and buy the First Light in ASAT and they match very well when buying base layers of another brand. Like someone else said movement makes you pretty visable wearing it. Took pics of the guy I hunted with for years while a cow that came over to eat and sniff at his bow hand and head. Pretty cool to watch. Then the the cow went in my direction and winded both of us ran off and came back in multiple times with a calf call before we got tired of the game. I guess the camo worked and our smell didn't when she smelled more than a hand and head with the wind going in the right direction. Cool pics although. Bob.

Lawnboi

WKR
I like Sitka opti fade stuff.

I'm also a believer in camo at bow ranges especially in really open country.

As important as having your body in camo is having your face concealed. I believe iv been busted multiple times just because I didn't have paint or a face cover on.