Best Concert/Show Experience?

Backyard

WKR
"We had just got back home for summer break, that night made a last minute decision to catch Stevie Ray Vaughan. I will never forget that night"

Couple friends from college were at his last show at Alpine Valley before his chopper went down. Tragic loss.
A friend of mine offered my wife and I tix and backstage after to his show in the Twin Cities just prior to Alpine Valley. He was friends with some of the band. We declined because we had plans saying "thanks, we'll catch him next time he's in town". We never passed up a chance to see a legend again after that. Still kick myself.

ODB

WKR
Other than the No Prayer on The Road tour, Maiden is always a great show - zero compromise.

Counting Crows were also excellent.
I have not seen him, but my cousin says Nick Cave is mesmerizing live. Same I’ve hear of van morrison

Kid Rock in the early 2000’s. No opening act and he played for 2 hours. Switch between every instrument and even covered some Eagles songs. Great show.

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
Three pages and no one has mentioned Tool?! It is an experience that will live on with you.

Yes, just saw them for the first time last year in Des Moines, Iowa. Unforgettable.

Some other good ones include:

Black Sabbath a few times (Chicago and Mpls)
Pink Floyd a few times (back in '87,'88)
Roger Waters
David Gilmour
The Cult
Motorhead
The Cure
NIN
Garbage in Madison
QOTSA in Chicago
Alice In Chains at the Metro in Chicago
Duran Duran at Red Rocks
Cream at Royal Albert Hall and Madison Square Garden
Rush twice
Grateful Dead in '87
The Stones a couple times
Paul McCartney twice
Neil Young and Crazy Horse
Simon and Garfunkel
Radiohead
Iron Maiden a few times
Metallica
Guns & Roses

Last edited:

SonnyDay

WKR
John Prine.

My wife and I have been huge fans for many years... in 2013 we got a chance to get a press/backstage pass for the Folks Festival up in Lyons, CO. We sat about 15 feet from John—directly in front. He sang the first song... and I was like “dang, he’s kinda lost it... a little off key.” At the end of that song, he told us he had swallowed a bug (there were a ton of bugs since it was outdoors and nighttime with stage lights). He slammed a tiny bottle of robitussin... and then killed it for two hours. A week later the flood came down and damn near destroyed the whole town. He recently passed from COVID-19. A great loss.

ColoradoV

WKR
Here are a few that stick out for me..

Metallica in San Fran was cool.

Grateful Dead in 95 in Vegas was fun and I am not even a hippie..

Social Disortion 3x in Aspen 👍.

Foo fighters at 30 rock in NYC with about 40 others was fun..

Steve Miller in Deadwood Sd was 🔥

Motörhead at the Whisky 1995 and after party at the Rainbow in LA a night to remember..

But tof the list is watching the sun rise at Burning Man w the flavor of the day....

Last show I saw was O.A.R. in Aspen as the wife loves them.. Talking w the band after the show on Feb 27th none of us knew the changes in store..

Last edited:

Backyard

WKR
BB King in a small theater in Mpls. Was awesome! He broke a guitar string during a song, never stopped, never switched guitars (there is only 1 Lucille), they brought him a new string and he put it on all while still playing and singing the same song. A true legend.

I've seen some pretty decent ones. My first ever concert was Aerosmith with my Dad when I was 16. It was awesome, still stands out in my mind as probably the best one I have seen.

Country concert, Kenny Chesney used to put on a hell of a show.

Saw Korn one time, it was a freak show but a lot of fun.

Small venue was Eric Church at the City Limit Saloon in Raleigh. He rocked that place for 4 hours.

Worst concert ever? George Strait. The man can sing, but that's all he does, is sit there and sing.

bruno59

WKR
I seen over 500 concerts in the 70's 80's and 90's one of the best would Blue Oyster cult their laser show was unbelievable one of the best lead guitar players ever next i would have to say on pure guitar playing it would be hard to beat frank marino and frank zappa in the 70's seen so many great concerts can't believe i'am still breathing

jmcd22

WKR
Garth brooks last summer in Denver. It takes a lot to perform at a high level at his age at elevation, he did it for nearly three hours straight.

Honorable mention for Kiss back in 96 or so. I never really cared for their music but they put on a show that was entertaining.

Saw him in Boise and it was freaking awesome. We are only about 2500'...not Denver but we aren't at sea level either. I hate concerts so it takes a lot for me to go. But my wife and I saw Garth Brooks and then Luke Combs. I really enjoy Luke Combs but the crowd at that concert wasn't my cup of tea...still an awesome show though.

16Bore

WKR
Jimmy Buffett 2 nights in a row. Quite a bender. I no longer drink tequila, for the record.

Reactions: lif

LostArra

WKR
Hendrix: 50 years ago tomorrow. Norman, OK OU Fieldhouse. My seat was at the end of a bleacher and he stood right next to me before going on stage. He was watching the OU quarterback, Jack Mildren throw a frisbee the length of the fieldhouse from his front row (or close to front row) seat.

A double whammy of Mountain and Black Sabbath, I think in 1970 also, was pretty crazy. I still can't hear all that well after that night.

A few years later while I was schooling in Laramie, I saw Linda Ronstadt in Boulder. Some small bar-like place, Tulagi may have been the name. Outstanding show.

Last edited:

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
I Heard Hendrix from half mile away,never got closer and heard him fine....Pasadena Rose Palace '69...lol
Place was shut down later when Lee Michaels & Frosty blasted the loudest show I ever heard of. Lived 5 miles away and you could hear it. Amazing how loud an organ & drums can be.
Went to HS with the Van Halen bros so guess that was our HS band......DLR was a dick back then.

Last edited:

JoMa

Lil-Rokslider
Here are some of the better ones for me:

Garth Brooks (early 90's)
U2
Casting Crowns
TobyMac
Crowder

MTtrout

WKR
Most memorable would have to be crowd surfing at a late 90s Warped Tour when punk was punk and experiencing a Phish show for the first time

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
AC/DC Razors Edge tour 1991
Aerosmith ‘94
Jamey Johnson at the state fair
The Cadillac Three at a small bar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pearl Jam opening for Neil Young at the Gorge was the best show I’ve ever been too and I’ve been to a lot of them!

Brendan

WKR
Jimmy Buffett is a great show...

But, I have never been as impressed as I was seeing Springsteen in concert. That guy put so much effort into a concert, he came out looking like it was 2 hours on the stair climber in 80 degree temps with an 80# pack. Turned me into more of a fan than I was going in.