Best dates for fall CO bear?

mcseal2

WKR
A couple friends and I applied for Colorado fall bear tags this year. We had a Kodiak deer hunt scheduled but had to postpone and find a plan B after one of our group tore his ACL. Kodiak isn’t a great place to go with a partially healed knee.

Plan B ended up being Colorado bear. We have never hunted bear before, so any advice is welcome. My first question is what part of September is best for bear activity? I’m going to continue researching everything I can between now and the hunt and I’m sure I’ll have more questions. Even if we aren’t successful, September in the mountains is never a bad way to spend time.

We do not have elk tags, this will just be a bear hunt, so no hunting our elk gut piles.

Thanks everyone for any help you can give.

Maverick1

WKR
Have never gone hunting just for bears there. Have killed several in the early season over water holes when it was very hot, a few over elk carcasses middle of season after packing elk meat out, and also near berry patches randomly. Also called in and shot a bear using an elk call, mimicking a calf in distress. Have used a climber and from the ground. Pretty good adrenaline rush! Have not really hunted much towards the end of the month as my tag is usually either filled by then or I’ve run out of vacation time. Good luck!

Last edited: