Best forest service road tire

MtnMuley

WKR
I'll second the ST Maxx's being a great overall tire. Also stated above, rotation is the biggest key to mileage on any tire.

They don't rate tires in ply any more are all. No such thing. Tires are constructed differently. Not to say an E rated tire isn't tougher.

Now the load rating is achieved by using larger and stronger cords, not increasing the ply count.

Bfg has 3 ply sidewalls. And I believe one other manufacturer does.

Bfg is the way to go imo.
My wild peaks are great traction wise for an AT but I've already torn out 2 sidewalls, and have one thats shaped like an egg.

pk_

WKR
They are great until about mid tread and they get noisy. Really noisy, they are about the perfect tire for the first half of their life for sure,

100%

I have run the Falken At3 and the MT and both are horrific at <40% tread. Even if they were still cheaper than the other big name tires I would not run them again and certainly won’t pay as much or more than the other options.

Isn't "LT" the secret code for 10x3 ply?
I get nervous driving non-LT tires on rocky forest roads.

Tmac

WKR
Isn't "LT" the secret code for 10x3 ply?
I get nervous driving non-LT tires on rocky forest roads.
Maybe. Could be 6, 8, 10, 12,… But it does give a clue it’s got a higher ply rating than. ”P” tire. The manufacturers web sites will often give you a ply rating estimate for a metric sized LT tire, load range C is a 6 ply rating, D is 8, E is 10, etc. My current tire is a LT275/70r18. It has a load rating of 125 iirc that also equates to a 10 ply tread, 3 ply sidewall, E rated tire. Traditional USA naming vs Metric, it gets all mixed up.

Seeknelk

WKR
Ive had bfg ko2 and they worked well. I now have Cooper STT Pro I think it is? But it's a mud terrain tire I wanted as I end up in the breaks gumbo often enough.
One nice surprise is how well they've held up ,even with the siping I had done for icy winters here. Another nice surprise is the absence of flinging gravel. They just don't launch rocks like the BFGs. They are certainly getting a bit rowdy noise wise as they are in the last summer of use tho. But when I drive it, I'm usually heading for the hills their no compromise off road tread fits my use.
I may get them again, but not sure. I've heard the Les Schwab AT , can't remember the name, has been very good for some of my buddies for what it's worth.

Another vote for Falken Wild Peaks. I upgraded to those after I got not one, or two, but three flat tires in a single morning out hunting quail on some pretty rough rock/dirt roads. I’ve pulled a few nails and screws out of them since, and not even had to plug or patch the tire. Also have held up well with mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at what the Baja trucks run and you'll find the beefiest tires. Toyo MT's are my main duty tire, I've yet to puncture one. Terrible in ice though, awesome in fresh snow, crush it in the mud!

manitou1

WKR
Seems the "all around" truck tire is somewhat of a unicorn. If they have mild road manners, they aren't super off-road, If they are great in mud, they suc on ice. Good ATs seem to lack in mud. A tough decision.
I will be needing new shoes this summer and so far have narrowed it down to Toyo, the Falken Wildpeak MT, or the BF Goodrich KO2.
I still don't know which I will go with. Am on a LOT of two-tracks and FS roads year round. Mud, rocks, snow and ice.
Am thinking I may need a helicoptor. 🤨😆

tstelzer

FNG
If you are looking for a great all around tire. There is nothing better than a Cooper AT3 XLT. They are very resistant to rock chipping and perform incredible on snow and ice. Now for the best tire for punctures and rock chipping. There is no tire comparable to the Cooper ST MAXX tires. Now they do not do well in snow and ice due to the tread design. Just keep all that in mind.

I can't speak to the LTX trails, but I will say their LTX AT/2 are a great tire. They came on the Tundra I had before I bought my current Silverado (gas mileage was a killer). I hunted for 2 seasons in the South GA swamps and they took me anywhere you would want to take a $50K truck

southLA

WKR
I think what you'll find is that the majority of big name brand tires are all pretty damn good overall. I have mainly run BFG and have had no problems.

Spoonman

WKR
M55 are probably the most widely used forest service road tire out there. There are people out there that don’t like them because they are too hard or too stiff but if you want the most reliable tire for forest service roads the M55 is the tire.

JoeDirt

WKR
M55 are probably the most widely used forest service road tire out there. There are people out there that don’t like them because they are too hard or too stiff but if you want the most reliable tire for forest service roads the M55 is the tire.
The chipping makes them unreliable, I get about 10,000 miles out of M55's on logging roads. They do great on pavement but the chipping makes them flat prone around 50% tread life.

This tire probably only has 5,000 miles on it

DDCB9DE9-E25F-4129-B3B6-1C7C3E643732.jpeg

Spoonman

WKR
The chipping makes them unreliable, I get about 10,000 miles out of M55's on logging roads. They do great on pavement but the chipping makes them flat prone around 50% tread life.

This tire probably only has 5,000 miles on it

View attachment 421377
That’s crazy that you only get that many miles. My buddy has them on his service rig and has a ton more miles than that and they still look good. He also runs them on his Tacoma and they have been on there for 2-3 years and are definitely better than 50%. They are probably the number one tire for most tire shops that are used as a tire for fleet vehicles for forestry.

As for my truck I just put on the Mickey Thomson Baja boss last year. They have been great so far. They went through a season of hunting in Washington, a trip to MT totaling 2500 miles (road and gravel) and now a move from Washington to Pennsylvania and have been great! Probably have 15k and no chipping or weird wear and the traction in the snow was awesome compared to tires in the past.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got to run a ton of different tires on my warden trucks- probably 60-70% of my miles were on gravel.

Once I went to the KO 2’s I never bought another tire. E- rated by the way.

It’s all I run on my Tacoma now.