Best frame/bag for carrying Lone Wolf Assault hang-on

boom

WKR
Haha. You need a single climbing stick. Way lighter and smaller, and with an aider loop or two you can get a camera 10’ up easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL! yea i thought about that. but i got into the habit of setting up my cameras on big overhang (horizontal) branches..not on the tree trunk. BTW, i am looking for public land hogs. i would seek out big use trails and then look for a big branch hanging overhead somewhere..cameras mounted like this are very hard to see, and damn near impossible to reach.

Drew@selway

Lil-Rokslider
I have used my Kifaru tactical frame with an Apollo bag and some custom length 1" webbing works great for hauling my assault, sticks, and whatever other gear I need. I have also used my argali without issue. I just run the compression straps through the stand and over the sticks. Good luck.
Drew.
87af06f49b69cd96d71d89fbe06361e6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

NorthT

FNG
I have been in the same boat, I have tried the molle straps and belt which does work well, along with late season and grab it, nomad and meat shelf on a tahr. For me the best thing has been tactical frame and cargo panel. I can pack stand, sticks, and extra clothes. I only run 6 straps, 2 on each side and 2 at the top. When I get to the tree, pop loose the top 2 and slide the stand out. I keep ladders at the bottom, the slide out the side. All the small things go in large belt pouches on the back.

OP
L

LateRiser

FNG
To update this thread with a couple pictures, in case it helps someone. I ended up getting a Kuiu Ultra frame from their Outlet for like $160 or something. I thought the super-lightweight approach would work, and I wouldn't be carrying more than 30 lbs. It fits my Assault perfectly, and I just used the straps and clips that came installed on the bag to secure the frame to the stand, and then just tied the load lifters to the frame so they remain functional. It carries literally like there's nothing there, I can attach my sticks easily to the stand with talons or just bungies, and hang a bag on the outside. Simple, quiet, carries great, and weighs almost nothing. I love the system, especially for the cost.
9adcc9d3b669df5a75b3fbbe50be770d.heic
f9775afd6374b6ece4215b0e43dea4ec.heic

Last edited:
I’ve seen that video before - it seemed to me that he didn’t really know what he was doing with it. Still had the Molle straps on the LW, and even said he hadn’t really figured out all the straps.

He also didn’t seem to know he could have purchased a frame for his Icon Pro and had essentially the same system.

But I agree - it’s a start. I’m just wondering if someone has a couple of seasons of doing this and has advice about what works and what doesn’t.

I thought about an Exo too, but I’m also looking at Stone Glacier, since I have a gift cert at Black Ovis that would cover it.

My biggest question is whether anyone has just left the frame and suspension of the pack strapped to the bottom of the stand while in the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would leave the straps on my lone wolf if I was carrying it in with a pack frame because I like it on my back as I climb so I can just hang it when I get to the top vs having to deal with two pull ropes (bow and stand). Looking at Stick Talons which would make me even less inclined to ditch the straps on the stand itself.

OP
L

LateRiser

FNG
No need for the straps, because the pack frame and suspension are attached to the stand. I climb the sticks with the stand on my back, and hang it with the frame and suspension hanging from it.

No need for the straps, because the pack frame and suspension are attached to the stand. I climb the sticks with the stand on my back, and hang it with the frame and suspension hanging from it.

In my version I've got the bag in the tree with me so I can access contents but your way makes perfect sense too.

OP
L

LateRiser

FNG
I left the part about the bag out, but the bag goes up with me too. When I get to the tree I detach it from the pack frame where I connected it over the stand and sticks to hold everything down for the walk in. Then I hang the bag from my harness as I climb (I attached a quick release strap at the top of the bag that I just put through my gear loop on my RC harness, and then use the same strap to hang it from a hook once I'm in the tree..

When I tried carrying the stand in the meat shelf and keeping the straps on for climbing with the stand (as I think you're talking about), I got frustrated about having to carry the stand up, and the pack. Either way I had to make 2 trips, use an extra pull rope. or hang a very awkward pack with frma e and full suspension from my belt.

By detaching the bag from the stand/pack frame at the base, I can just keep the stand on my back and hang the bag, which is very sleek at that point, from my belt while I go up. One trip, only one pull rope.