Best frying pan for truck camping

Elkangle

WKR
Well let's hear your thoughts...im looking for the absolute best frying pan to cook steak on while im on the road..I honestly don't care what it costs...I want a solid 10+ inch pan thats super easy to clean and will last for ever... il have limit water so ideally easy to clean is pretty important

Thanks !

Randle

WKR
I have an old Griswold It is the best I have used , and use salt to scrub mine and then re-oil it.

Cast iron griddle...an old one with the pour spout in the corner and D handles on the sides.. Got mine at flea market for 5 bucks...no idea how old it is or the brand...only identifying mark is a 8 on the lip near one of the handles.

For truck camping I’d skip the fancy stuff and get a Lodge cast iron. Number 8 is a great do-all size. No frills and once seasoned, will work just the same and last forever.

As for scrubbing with salt, it helps exfoliated (without water) food that may get cooked onto the cast iron. People say using water on cast iron is a sin due to rust potential, but it’s ok. If you have to clean with water, don’t use soap, hand dry, then throw it on a hot burner to evaporate all the water and re-season with oil.

Agross

WKR
I have an old griswold number 10. If I remember correctly it's about 80 years old. I picked it up on eBay about ten years ago. I didn't want a new one that had a rougher finish . Love it . We use it a lot . Little hot water and it's clean, then rub a light coating of oil on it and yer good to go for the next time.

Not using soap on cast iron is a vestige from when soap had lye in it. Modern soap, even dish soap is good to go on cast iron. It will remove the oil that has not yet polymerized, but that isn’t your seasoning. The seasoning is oil that has polymerized, and sodium hydroxide (lye) is capable of depolymerizing those oils and messing up your seasoning. Modern soaps won’t/can’t.

Even so, cast iron really doesn’t need much washing if any. Scrape the tarnation out of it with a straight edge spatula, scrub with salt if needed, fling everything out, wipe down with oil and admire your work.

I would not buy a modern pan. The modern manufacturing process is such that the surface is much more rough, even when seasoned. Almost as if they pour it into a mold, let it cool, and slap a label on it. Old cast iron used to be polished smooth, and you can still find it for dirt cheap, or worst case scenario you pay the price of a new Lodge but you get a superior product.

OP
E

Elkangle

WKR
Is there a salt scrubber im missing ??

I really dont mind fancy, I live out of my truck 15-20 weeks a year...so home comforts are kind of nice

Really up in the air on stainless vs cast iron ...Ive cooked alot on cast but never on a quality stainless, would the allclad stainless be easier to clean then the iron ?? The cast iron sure feels/looks more like home..little things I guess

Pezboat

WKR
Is there a salt scrubber im missing ??

I really dont mind fancy, I live out of my truck 15-20 weeks a year...so home comforts are kind of nice

Really up in the air on stainless vs cast iron ...Ive cooked alot on cast but never on a quality stainless, would the allclad stainless be easier to clean then the iron ?? The cast iron sure feels/looks more like home..little things I guess

Nope. Clean out as much as you can with either a spatula or paper towel. Then pour some course salt and there and scrub it clean with a towel. It helps is the pan is still warm.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Any quality cast iron that you take the time to keep seasoned and not be lazy. If you cant handle that.... Pick anything else then complain how its not good enough.

Broomd

WKR
'Nother vote for lodge cast iron. We have a sizable collection of all sizes.

Our largest skillet has likely cooked 5,000+ walleye in fish camp over the last 25 years.

Runwilderness

Lil-Rokslider
Go to a restaurant supply store and pick up a nonstick skillet. Commercial grade heavy guage aluminum is great for even heat on a marginal camp stove burner, nonstick will provide the easiest cleanup, and no name restaurant brands are a fraction of the cost of consumer oriented cookware so it’s no biggie to replace when the coating wears down. While there pick up a few for home use, too.

I love cast iron to sear a steak, but would never use one where limited water and cleanup hassles were a concern.

I'd like to see the glazing on that one. Probably looks like black pearl chrome
'Nother vote for lodge cast iron. We have a sizable collection of all sizes.

Our largest skillet has likely cooked 5,000+ walleye in fish camp over the last 25 years.

texasbbq

Lil-Rokslider
Go to a restaurant supply store and pick up a nonstick skillet. Commercial grade heavy guage aluminum is great for even heat on a marginal camp stove burner, nonstick will provide the easiest cleanup, and no name restaurant brands are a fraction of the cost of consumer oriented cookware so it’s no biggie to replace when the coating wears down. While there pick up a few for home use, too.

I love cast iron to sear a steak, but would never use one where limited water and cleanup hassles were a concern.
This is great advice.
BBQ