Best headlamp (waterproof with replaceable batteries)

DuckDogDr

WKR
Looking for a AA or AAA, or even 9 volt head lamp to camp / hike with.
I want to stay away from re chargeable ones .. I just can’t seem to make them last.

Rokbar

WKR
Checkout the Pelican 2750's. I believe they are $30-40 bucks on amazon. 3 AAA's. I use them at work as well. One of mine has a glow in the dark frame.

If you want a tough, reliable, high-quality headlamp with the option of using regular batteries, (almost) anything from Petzl works with AAAs, and their stuff tends to be as good as it gets for the type of light you’d want for hiking/camping use.

Update — this one won’t run on AAAs:
The Swift is cool if you want the reactive lighting feature (auto-dims based on feedback, like looking down at a map), but I find it distracting on my NAO+ and usually run it in continuous mode. Handy if you want to extend battery life, though.

1659432088984.jpeg

Their simple Actik model uses three AAAs and gives plenty of light for hiking.

1659432172090.jpeg

Fenix also makes really great lights, and their HL18R model is AAA-compatible.

1659432257336.jpeg

The small, simple and perfected HM65R is arguably the best headlamp on the market, but it only runs off a 18650 lithium cell, or two CR123As in a pinch. Maybe worth considering anyway because of its excellent flood and spot lights, plus the absolutely insane brightness on max coupled with ridiculously-long runtime on more-reasonable settings. It may look like just another headlamp, but it really gives 1500 lumens; you have to see it to believe just how much output that is. The huge spread of beautifully-even lighting from the flood beam rules, too.

1659432986301.jpeg

It’s worth noting that using lithium batteries will give better performance on any light, though.

Last edited:

Tod osier

WKR
Looking for a AA or AAA, or even 9 volt head lamp to camp / hike with.
I want to stay away from re chargeable ones .. I just can’t seem to make them last.

Since it hasn't been said, a Zebralight. They are amazing. Get set up with 18650 batteries and a charger and you aren't going to find a sweeter setup - brighter or lighter or non nonsense. Aluminum and glass construction, vs plastic with a plastic bezel. On high output a lot of them with go 1000 lumens, which is insane. To disable the light so that won't come on in pack it just takes a 1/4 turn of the end cap, which becomes completely natural to loosen or tighten when it goes into or out of the pack. For the batteries, you want flat top cells, they are generic and cheaper on amazon, you can also buy theirs.

10 day trip on a single battery, bring a spare just in case. I carry a headlamp and use a handheld zebralight as a battery case for my backup battery (so I have a headlamp and hand held, each with battery).

The downsides are that they are a little more expensive to buy and get set up with 18650 s and they are a little confusing to purchase because there seem to be so many options. There aren't really that many options, when you just look at 18650 headlamps with a floody beam. Buy a FloodY beam type as a headlamp (a spill+spot for hand held). Buy one of the couple options that have a high CRI. If the one you want is out of stock, just order it, they seem to restock daily. If you want customer support they aren't awesome, but they are OK if you use the contact us page (I've found that you need to leave the page open in your browser until you get a response).

@Tod osier
It’s true. 18650s and 21700s are so vastly superior to regular batteries that I personally wouldn’t even consider going back.

For example, my HMR65 gives 300 hours of runtime on the low flood setting, which is all I need around camp.

Me and the wife have been using Petzl Actiks and Actik cores for years now and they have been flawless. The core version is brighter and you can still use standard batteries when you want.

Rich M

WKR
I've had some Coast headlamps for a long time. 3 AAA batteries. Costco used to sell 3 packs before they went to the "Duracell" brand.

Usually only need 1 or 2 sets of batteries for an entire year of on/off again use (will change out batteries night before hunting season starts) - only time I use the high beam is when blood trailing. Usually use low or medium beam.

You guys have me interested in the HM65R - not that I'd ever really need a 1400 lumen headlamp, just seems like a good idea for when we run the marsh at night.

@Rich M
It’s not so obvious in the photos, but Fenix’s design and build quality are top-notch in my opinion, especially considering their reasonable pricing.

I can’t imagine that you’d be anything less than thrilled with the HM65R; it’s just plain fun to have that much power on tap, and the lower settings are really well-implemented. I’d recommend the “-T” version, as the wider headband is nicer. I’ve never felt the need for the over-strap on the regular model, and simply removed it so there’s less crap to snag.

Last edited:

svivian

WKR

I know it says rechargeable but you can buy batteries for these though they cost more. With that said I have been really pleased with this for the price.

I know it says rechargeable but you can buy batteries for these though they cost more. With that said I have been really pleased with this for the price.
i know this has been brought up here before but are these the same identical lights peax is selling for $90 ?

Zebralight 18650, high CRI. 2.9 oz INCLUDING BATTERY with 4x the duration of AA. These high CRI lights go from sub-one lumen to 1500 lumens, are built like tanks (mil-spec anodized aluminum), waterproof, are the most compact format, and are programmable. I only own 26 of them in various configurations. :)

svivian

WKR
i know this has been brought up here before but are these the same identical lights peax is selling for $90 ?
That is correct and i have personally compared it to my buddies PEAK headlamp. The peak is slightly brighter but the body and style is identical.

That is correct and i have personally compared it to my buddies PEAK headlamp. The peak is slightly brighter but the body and style is identical.
interesting, they must just be sourcing the body from the same supplier and peax is just using a different LED if theirs is slightly better

*zap*

WKR
I just purchased a Black Diamond Astro 250 and it is very good (so far) for less than $20. Surprised me.....2 ounces with 3 aaa batteries.

rayporter

WKR
last winter i got a sofirn and am really liking it.

however my old princton tec eos has not died yet. and it has some miles on it.

interesting, they must just be sourcing the body from the same supplier and peax is just using a different LED if theirs is slightly better
I think there are two different tints available on one of their lights. 4k and 5k

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
If you want a tough, reliable, high-quality headlamp with the option of using regular batteries, anything from Petzl works with AAAs, and their stuff tends to be as good as it gets for the type of light you’d want for hiking/camping use.

The Swift is cool if you want the reactive lighting feature (auto-dims based on feedback, like looking down at a map), but I find it distracting on my NAO+ and usually run it in continuous mode. Handy if you want to extend battery life, though.

View attachment 434925

The simpler Actik model is still plenty of light for hiking.

View attachment 434926

Fenix also makes really great lights, and their HL18R model is AAA-compatible.

View attachment 434927

The small, simple and perfected HM65R is arguably the best headlamp on the market, but it only runs off a 18650 lithium cell, or two CR123As in a pinch. Maybe worth considering anyway because of its excellent flood and spot lights, plus the absolutely insane brightness on max coupled with ridiculously-long runtime on more-reasonable settings. It may look like just another headlamp, but it really gives 1500 lumens; you have to see it to believe just how much output that is. The huge spread of beautifully-even lighting from the flood beam rules, too.

View attachment 434928

It’s worth noting that using lithium batteries will give better performance on any light, though.

Hmm I have a petzl swift, can those use AAA's? mines rechargable and a great light. that thing will light up the night when it goes full blast. I use if for work mostly, really like the tac-tikka rgb too. 3 AAA's, multiple beam intensities, and blue, green and red too