Best insulation layer

slim9300

WKR
I knew you just got one slim and was hoping you would chime in.

As long as the treated down does what it's supposed to do on the rare occasion that I get the jacket wet, I will be more than happy. I'm thinking about going out in the next downpour and testing Kuiu's claim of the down not clumping when wet. We will see.

The new Superdown is a ridiculous piece of gear! I love mine and have yet to be even a hint of cold while wearing it! This past weekend I put on nearly 25 miles looking for sheds in 3 days, weather was a high of 19 degrees. I wore 2 layers of FL Merino Wool and the guide vest while I was hiking. Each time I stopped to glass or give the dog water I would throw on the SuperDown... That thing is amazing! The one time I did not put it on when I stopped, my clothes were not enough to keep me warm as they were soaked with sweat.

That jacket will have a permanent place in my backpack.

chas

Lil-Rokslider
Best insulator

I was given a Patagonia Nanopuff as a gift a year ago, it has VERY quickly gained a spot in my all time favorite list right next to the Paty R1 hoody.
I would really take a look at the nano if your concisdering the Micro.

Essentially for me its a slightly warmer replacement for the really heavy weight fleeces I used to wear, such as the mtn hardware monkeyman, that still packs down smaller and lighter. The other benefit Ive grown to love, that I never thought about, was how well the Nano interacts with the other layers under and above it. The matierial is so slick that it is almost aids in motility rather than hamper, like most heavier insulation pieces do.

And then of course there are all the benefits (and downsides) of it being a synthetic layer too.

Nanopuff here also. It is the cold weather go to layer.

I have the kuiu spindrift. I wear it with a T shirt under it in the teens and 20's here and I'm not cold. amazing piece of gear. I just wish it had a hood!

I'm going to comment on down layering jackets in general here. Although I don't have the Kuiu version, after 30 winters north of 60 degrees (some WAY north), I have some relevant experience.

One of the biggest advantages to down in general is how well it compresses when packed. HOWEVER, when used as a layering piece, that can also be it's downfall. Down (or any other insulation) only fully works if it can maintain it's loft. Because down compresses so easily, that means any out layer you wear over it has to be cut PLENTY loose or you will end up defeating the insulation value.

Of course as an outer layer, this isn't an issue, but for those planning on layering with it keep that in mind. In many northern native cultures the outer layer (anorak or parka) is very loose fitting garment that is designed to cut the wind while allowing the inner layers to maintain full insulation value. It's a concept that is used for good reason.

Yk