Best investment for kids hunt.

zacattack

WKR
I’ve got a 10 year old daughter and 12 year old son that drew really good rifle bull tags this year. I was thinking of getting them something that would make their hunt more enjoyable/successful/memorable. I’m already heavily invested in improving their shooting with multiple trips to the range and getting them confident behind a rifle. What else can I invest in that has a high ROI? I’ve got a crappy set of old bushnell binos that they share and a old women’s kelty backpack that is too big for my daughter and just barely fits my son. My wife made two woobies and I’ve got them decent clothes and boots for season. They each have a “hit and run kit” with emergency essentials and headlamps. What would you get them to improve the experience? Maybe better binos or a SG/Exo/SO pack that they can use? Should I pay for a day of shooting instruction, beyond what I can teach them? What am I not thinking of? I’m open to any ideas. I feel like this is a once-in-decade opportunity with them and I want them to be confident, comfortable, and invested in the experience with their dad. Especially my daughter... I’m not sure how she will do.

don’t have them old enough myself yet to hunt, but from seeing my friends kids you will want snacks, drinks,and Legos

What do they want out of the hunt?

I suspect the best investment is going to be in the time it takes to get them ready.

I'd try to make sure you make it their hunt since it's their tag. As adults we probably have different expectations, for them I'd imagine seeing and being close to animals is going to be the success of it. The failure of not getting an animal might become a big driving factor.

sndmn11

WKR
Digiscoping equipment for whatever optics you will have. I would bet their attention would be captured because they are looking at a phone, rather than trying to fit tiny faces to ocular lenses at the proper eye relief and pupil distance.

WRO

WKR
Get them confident and ready to to be successful.

Other than that, make sure they're rested and comfortable at night and well fed.

Don't run them into the dirt, day 3 of season if you're camping, put them in a warm bed with a shower and hot meal in town, sleep in and rejuvenate.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Each child having their own binoculars is probably the smartest use of your money. It will keep them engaged and it is something that they will not outgrow.

If you go with knives, then also look at getting them filleting gloves. This way they can help and reduce the risk of getting cut.

Portable chargers for their electronics is another option.

Lots of shooting practice from different positions. Have fun and make a game of it. Winner gets a treat or chooses where to eat. If possible go squirrel or rabbit hunting several times before so that they get used to shooting a live animal.