Kid on an Extended Hunt

If I was going with another adult I might consider it depending on the kid. I would also check with the other adult to see if they mind having a kid along on their hunt. I am not a father but my concern would be what happens if something happens to me.
I been on a few multi day fishing trips with friends that brought their young kids. Honestly, as long as they where teens they were not bad at all. Any younger they were a PIA.

Day trips have never been a problem no matter their age.

OP
Backcountry_Preacher

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
So I decided I’m going to take him to Colorado’s Total Archery Challenge for 2 days and see how well he handles that. Hopefully it lights a fire in him (he did ask to shoot there and asks me every year to go hunting) and if that’s the case, I’ll take him with a plan to get him home if he wants to bail after several days.

I really appreciate everyone taking time to add their input. I read every post and it means a lot. Thanks

If there’s anything I can do for any of you, feel free to reach out!

MattB

WKR
A good friend who guided for ~40 years and has a fair bit of experience with hunters bringing kids basically said you need to make the hunt about the kid. What flexibility you as a parent to hunt should be based on the kid’s comfort and interest. With that said and without knowing your son, what you are envisions would be tough to do. Are you willing to sleep in some mornings? Get back to camp before dark? Take days off if your son doesn’t feel like going out and isn’t comfortable staying in camp alone? Leaving after day 3 if he is not enjoying himself?

OP
Backcountry_Preacher

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
A good friend who guided for ~40 years and has a fair bit of experience with hunters bringing kids basically said you need to make the hunt about the kid. What flexibility you as a parent to hunt should be based on the kid’s comfort and interest. With that said and without knowing your son, what you are envisions would be tough to do. Are you willing to sleep in some mornings? Get back to camp before dark? Take days off if your son doesn’t feel like going out and isn’t comfortable staying in camp alone? Leaving after day 3 if he is not enjoying himself?
These are all things I’ve thought about which is why I’m hesitant to bring him. It just kills me because he’s been begging me. I’ll do a lot of praying and thinking about it between now and then and just see where it lands.

I agree with the other guys... taking a 7 year old along on an out of state extended backpack hunt is a recipe for disaster.

I take my kids "hunting" with me sometimes(7y and 3y). Any trips with those two(or even just the 7yo)... I'm not doing anything crazy or out there. The day becomes mostly about keeping them happy and mostly comfortable, and when its time to pack it in its time to pack it in. Locally? No big deal, not the end of the world. Out of state tags $$$$ travel $$$$ pto $$$$ kid staying home on that one. I didn't spend that much money and time to do a half-a.. hunt.

I'm not saying you shouldn't consider doing a trip with your kid, but it should be something that is low expectation. If you have to go home a couple days early, or they want to pack it in early everyday to have a campfire and stuff you're not going to be thinking "man I just spent 1k on this tag I'm about to eat".

Robobiss

FNG
Any chance you could make it a “family vacation” of sorts and put Mumma up in a hotel a couple hours away with one of her friends or sister or something? Get her a rental car, or let her have the truck and keep in contact with Inreach or Zoleo when you need a ride.

That way if it all falls apart, she’s only a couple hours away. He could take a couple days off if he’s miserable, sleep in a bed, take a shower, maybe come back to camp?

Tod osier

WKR
Does anyone have experience bringing their kid on an extended backpack style hunt?

I’m wanting to bring my 7 year old boy on this year’s elk hunt. I normally go for +/- 10 days.

It’d be quite the challenge for him but I feel confident he can do it. I’m curious if anyone else has tried and how it worked out for them.

A 10 day mountain hunt is too much for most adults.

I've done it, but with my wife along. I'd never recommend it unless your kid was a real special kid (and you would only know that if you had the kid in that situation already (which you haven't)).

OP
Backcountry_Preacher

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Any chance you could make it a “family vacation” of sorts and put Mumma up in a hotel a couple hours away with one of her friends or sister or something? Get her a rental car, or let her have the truck and keep in contact with Inreach or Zoleo when you need a ride.

That way if it all falls apart, she’s only a couple hours away. He could take a couple days off if he’s miserable, sleep in a bed, take a shower, maybe come back to camp?
I’ve got more than one kid, who has a lot going on back home. My wife has gone with me several times before and my in-laws kept the kids, however this year my father-in-law is going hunting in some of his old spots and is planning on staying gone the entire month of Sept, so my mother-in- law is going with him. So someone has to stay back home.

There is a chance my father-in-law tags out early and could be on stand by in case my son needs a ride home, but I don’t want him more worried about my son than his hunt.

OXN939

WKR
I think thats way too young... leave him at home. Send him photos and call rgularily. You want to start a fire, not extinguish one.

Man I drew a Pronghorn tag a few years ago. One of my best friends came along and wanted to bring his 7 year old, said the kid was dying to come and much more mature than most kids his age. I don't have kids or know anything about them so I thought the worst that could happen was he sees some cool scenery from the truck.

Fast forward five days, the kid is screaming and sobbing as his dad carries him on his shoulders through the backcountry because of a combination of exhaustion and a hatch of mormon crickets he was scared of. Felt really bad for them both. Maybe if I had my own kids at some point the perspective would change, but zero chance anyone else's kid ever comes on a big game hunt I plan again

Does anyone have experience bringing their kid on an extended backpack style hunt?

I’m wanting to bring my 7 year old boy on this year’s elk hunt. I normally go for +/- 10 days.

It’d be quite the challenge for him but I feel confident he can do it. I’m curious if anyone else has tried and how it worked out for them.
I live in the Alaskan bush and my kids are all bush children. No way would I bring my 8 or even 10 year old on that long of a hunt. I’ll be experimenting with a 5 day trip this fall with them. They’ve done 3 days but the boredom sets in for them.