Best kifaru pack for moose and elk?

Hessticles

Lil-Rokslider
What is the best kif pack that I could use for moose and elk, moose will have to be bone-in. Thanks

WTFJohn

WKR
Are you backpacking in? Float plane? ATV? Horseback? Are you looking to carry things other than meat on the frame (as in camp gear, first aid, rain gear, etc)? How many days of gear does the pack need to hold? Do you want a meat shelf or are you going to carry the meat in the bag? What kind of weather/terrain are you going to be dealing with?

Just saying moose and elk leaves you with 3/4 of their bag and frame options as valid choices.

OP
Hessticles

Hessticles

Lil-Rokslider
The moose hunt will be a float plane/drop hunt, yes I would like to carry some gear, elk hunts are usually day packs but wanna get something big enough to do a multiday hunt,

OP
Hessticles

Hessticles

Lil-Rokslider
I was recommended the muskeg 5000 also, would the meat shelf be large enough for moose quarters?

FlyGuy

WKR
The Reckoning worked great for me.

ebded4471d5092fa5a9a56ef7289d934.jpg
94ae1e8a1f6929bd6e80a10fa77d67c5.jpg

You can’t cheat the mountain

WTFJohn

WKR
I was recommended the muskeg 5000 also, would the meat shelf be large enough for moose quarters?

I'm local to Kifaru, so my default answer is to call and talk to Frank, Dayna, or one of the other folks there; they can set you straight on the minute details between bags and frames, but keep in mind when it comes to pocket and zipper layout everyone wants something different.

Here's a few things to remember...

- The new (er) Lite and UltraLite frames have a stiffener (arrow shaft in a sleeve) that runs perpendicular to the main stays and helps keeps the frame from barreling around loads. I've only noticed barreling on certain heavy loads with my tactical frame that does not have the stiffener. There are a few aftermarket companies that can add a similar stiffener to a Tactical frame (or any other older hunting frame).

- If it has a meat shelf, the main limit to what you carry on said shelf will be the length of the compression straps that you use, shortly followed by the volume of gear in your bag. The different loading options on the meat shelf come into play with the different frames; the Tactical has 2 heights for attaching the meat shelf while the Lite and Ultralite only have the lower attachment point. Notably, Aron (and plenty of other folks) doesn't use a meat shelf, he just finds a way to snake things into the bag. Probably not happening with a bone-in moose quarter.

- X-Pac is a more waterproof fabric than the DWR treated Cordura. Depending on where you hunt, that might matter to you. With X-Pac, you're limited to just the Muskeg line of bag layouts. A drybag (or pullouts) in a cordura bag + a waterproof pack cover can keep your stuff dry too; but has a higher weight & volume in return for more bag layouts.

- Remember is that only one of your loads back has to have the bag attached to the frame. A Grab-It (or Sherman, cargo net, 1/4 panel, etc...) and 3 or 4 compression straps will be lighter and easier to rig for any return trips than messing with the meat shelf and bag again. If the hike is long enough to risk an overnight, throw a guide lid on with what you need to bivy.

- You can use a smaller bag with a meat shelf to create more space for gear while still having a small bag for day trips and short multi-day hunting; just put your heaviest stuff in a dry bag and on the meat shelf for your hike in, ditching said gear and re-rigging the pack to hunt once you set camp.

- Pack volume needs to be driven by what you're putting inside of it. When I started backpack hunting, I had a lot of gear that was heavier and took up more space than the stuff I have currently. Now I can do 6+ days out of a Woodsman with a guide lid and a pair of medium pockets, starting out that was 3 days with a Woodsman, guide lid, and 4 pockets.

Schism

WKR
Buy whatever pack you want for elk hunting. For moose I would recommend a quarter panel with a guide lid and using multiple dry bags for your gear. If you are doing a drop camp hunt from a float plane you won’t be moving much, rather glassing and calling from very close to camp. The pilots will also appreciate multiple smaller bags of gear vs one large bag.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Going to be what works best for you. I went with the muskeg 7000 considering in “day mode” it’s pretty slim. It’ll work for daily predator hunts to long back country hunts.

locofife

FNG
I just bought a Nomad 2 and hopefully it'll be here next week sometime. From my understanding, you can put darn near anything you want on it and it's pretty versatile. Something to look into.

Decker9

WKR
Iv packed a few moose by quarters with the cargo panel, I generally tie a guide lid on and a dry sac inside, it’s worked great. I recently picked up a reckoning tho, I think that center zip would be the cats meow for packing quarters, and then a guys got a bag for gear.

On that note, I packed one moose by quarter with my DT1, luckily it was a small moose, fitting quarters into the top was a 2 man challenge.

prm

WKR
I had a Reckoning, and while I liked it, I wanted something that trimmed down a little better for day hunt mode. I tried a MR Mule for 4th rifle, deer last year and it worked well. I liked the ability to use a separate bag for hauling camp. I do prefer the heavy hauling of the Kifaru though. I recently got a Nomad 2 and think that will be perfect. I’ll use the 55l OR bag for camp, then have plenty of space for day hunting items, and the ability to haul as much meat as I’m willing to carry.

GregB

WKR
I fit a front and rear elk quarter plus my day gear in an AMR. I'll be using it if I draw moose this year.