Best Kuiu Hoodie For Archery Elk

TygerJ

FNG
Seeking advice on which Kuiu hoodie is best suited to be worn as outer layer for archery elk?

Want it to be durable enough to not get destroyed from brush but not so heavy it’s too hot to wear in mild temps.

Peloton 97, pro merino, Strongfleece, other?

JakeB2010

FNG
Ill usually wear a light next to skin long sleeve kuiu merino shirt as my main base layer and then I pack the kuiu pro merino 200 zipT hoody as an outer layer for morning/evenings when its a little cooler. Ran this for a couple years now and have no plans in switching. The hoody is awesome as well because its packable to where I can put it in the lid of my pack for quick access whenever I need it.

Wright406

WKR
I’ve used all. Here’s my input.

The peloton 97 is awesome warmth to weight BUT snags and pulls easy. The Stongfleece is slowly becoming a favorite being that it has good warmth and good durability. The merino is great for warmth and breathability but used over a couple days tends to stretch since it doesn’t have the memory like the synthetics. All are awesome but if here’s my rankings.

Durability: Strongfleece, Merino, Peloton
Warmth: Strongfleece, Merino, Peloton
Breathablity: Merino, Peloton, Strongfleece.

All depending on which weight of all the above you choose of course.

GarrettA

FNG
I recently got the peloton 97 and I love it. It is super light and warm enough for fair weather. I have t had it through brush of the stickers yet. But it probably is t the greatest for durability just going by initial feel.

I would say Peloton 240. If it’s cold enough I need more than a base then the window of temperature where the 97 is perfect is pretty small compared to the 240 and the 97 doesn’t block any wind. I have both and will occasionally carry both but rarely during bow season unless there is snow

OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
Peloton 240 full zip is my go to, it pulls some in brush, but overall probably my favorite piece!!! It is AWESOME!!

What attributes about it are so great? Why better than strongfleece?

What attributes about it are so great? Why better than strongfleece?
Peloton 240 was designed with wind in mind and is specifically made to block wind (not 100% but most), strong fleece is jersey or harder faced for added durability and DWR treatment. The 240 is just a really great fabric weight and the wind blocking bonding technology really works. I haven’t used strong fleece because it is relatively new but when I originally bought 240 it was for early season or mid layer wind resistance that still had great breathability. DWR on a mid layer is pointless to me

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve only used the 240 and 97 hoodies. Between those two I say the 240 because it has a wider range of use since it is warmer and cuts wind. I just spent too much time layering under and over the 97 during the day. The 240 is a touch noisy and I don’t like how the hood is cut or the noise I hear when turning my head inside of it.

whats the differnce between the strongfleece 260 and peloton 240?. a buddy got the 240 right when it came and it looked sweet but its never on sale. have always worn the sitka heavyweight hoodie but the wind resistance of the 240 is tempting

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
whats the differnce between the strongfleece 260 and peloton 240?. a buddy got the 240 right when it came and it looked sweet but its never on sale. have always worn the sitka heavyweight hoodie but the wind resistance of the 240 is tempting

It says the 260 may be more durable but the 240 has more wind resistance. I went with the full zip 240. I haven’t been able to use it yet here in Idaho, but I think it will be a great piece for layering under my soft shell jacket.

j33

WKR
I like a full zip (240) vs half zip (260) as I can dump heat better for a mid layer, less on/off. 280 is full zip could consider than, heavier though but get a DWR coating if you're into that.

OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
Is the SF 260 really inferior to the Peloton 240?

Sure the 240 has a full-zip, but isn’t it less warm and less durable than the SF 260?

Wouldn’t the SF 260 would be the stronger choice to use for a mid layer and occasional outer layer; greater durability, warmer, similar weight...

Am I missing something here?

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used all. Here’s my input.

The peloton 97 is awesome warmth to weight BUT snags and pulls easy. The Stongfleece is slowly becoming a favorite being that it has good warmth and good durability. The merino is great for warmth and breathability but used over a couple days tends to stretch since it doesn’t have the memory like the synthetics. All are awesome but if here’s my rankings.

Durability: Strongfleece, Merino, Peloton
Warmth: Strongfleece, Merino, Peloton
Breathablity: Merino, Peloton, Strongfleece.

All depending on which weight of all the above you choose of course.
Hit the nail on the head! Own all three as well and couldn't have said it any better. They are each good in their own respective way. However, the Strongfleece has become the go-to in my set up.

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider

Sure the 240 has a full-zip, but isn’t it less warm and less durable than the SF 260?

Wouldn’t the SF 260 would be the stronger choice to use for a mid layer and occasional outer layer; greater durability, warmer, similar weight...

The 240 isn't as durable as the 260 or 280. It's wind resistance is better but I consider it a true mid-layer and have to be cautious when I have it on as an outer layer if I'm in or near brush. Which is all the time.

The body mapping on the 260 and 280 both do a great job but they're more susceptible to the wind. I heat up quickly moving in the 240 (although it does breath well) and don't have as much issue with the 260.

They both have their places but if I'm looking for something to break a little brush as an outer layer, the Strongfleece is the way to go.

Kostrize

WKR
Pretty much echo the above sentiments except to say the to me the 240 is more of a light soft shell. It layers well but doesn’t provide much heat as a mid layer. I’ve heard some guys say that the 200 is as warm or warmer and I wouldn’t disagree

240 for the win
Light, warm for it's weight, does a good job blocking the wind and has a nice hood. It's my go to for September and early october. I even wear it into November and just throw a heavier baselayer under it.
You can find the solids on sale from time to time.

Wind is the most difficult Environmental factor for Me to account for and if you don’t have a wind layer it can be the difference between continuing hunting or not.