Best lightweight camera/video for backpack hunting

Gdavis3rd

FNG
Looking for the best ultra lightweight video camera with still photo capability too. Hero 6? Whats everyone using and why? Thanks

George Davis
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jljordan41

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also very interested in this topic and just looked at the RX100. Any other suggestions?

I am looking into the TG6 when it comes out in July. Seems like for hunting and general outdoors this camera can take the punishment and good pics/video

I agree with the previous suggestions. The gopro is good for what it is, a video camera to mount to capture an event that you want hands free. That's where it ends. You can't compare the stills with any of the other cameras mentioned, or any camera on the market.
The Sony RX100 series is considered the flagship in quality in its class. Fantastic stills and much better video due to the larger 1" sensor

Serious question about the RX100 series cameras. I have read a lot of reviews and they seem great. But for something that is going to hunting related how well do the hold up to abuse of the outdoors?

Thanks

They are NOT weather or dust proof. The new Olympus TG6 will be far better then the go pro, not as good as the Sony, but still well above average. That is weatherproof, dustproof and drop proof and great in extreme cold

jeepfan

FNG
I just bought an RX100 off ebay for $300 delivered. I wanted the m2 so that I could use my Sony mic on the sony mis shoe. The RX100 will also receive my sony lanc remote control for power on, zoom and record for one had operation in the treestand. Yesterday I recorded some sample footage in the yard. Tonight I listened to it and could hear the neighbors at least 125 yards across the street talking to their dog. I can tell you one thing I don't like about it is the fact that I cannot turn off the digital zoom. I will have to watch out for that. I'm not sure how I am going to handle manual focus. Might have to keep the aperture where I have a large depth of field. Looks like it is going to be a great cam. That being said I would never spend more than $500 on one.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Serious question about the RX100 series cameras. I have read a lot of reviews and they seem great. But for something that is going to hunting related how well do the hold up to abuse of the outdoors?

Thanks

Like above, they aren't weather proofed. But they will take some abuse. My sonys go through hell in the field because I have to have them out. Just be careful with water, use common sense with semi taking care of it and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cwfa

FNG
Do you take extra batteries or can you recharge them in the field with a Goal Zero?

Looking at getting a RX100 prior to my Alaska trip this year but there are so many damn generations with a wide variety of costs.

For a schmuck who's never done anything but autofocus and doesn't have much for time to invest in learning over the next couple months, which model RX100 would you recommend?

I would say the best bet would be the RX100 MK IV. It has a great, fast lens, 4K video, bright view finder, ISO to 12,800 for great low light images and 16 frames per second for amazing wildlife and action images
Give me a call for special Rokslide pricing
Joel
516-217-1000

Thanks Joel, what benefits would I (schmuck referenced above) get from the iv over the iii?

My pleasure
The IV has MUCH better video 4K vs 1080HD. Plus slow motion video on the IV. It also has a much brighter view finder, almost twice as bright. For stills it is 16 frames per second vs 10 on the III
Feel free to contact me with anything else

I have been trying to wrap my head around this same question. I'm a novice both shooting photos and video. I'd like to start recording some of my hunts (for posterity not with YouTube superstar aspirations). I am looking for something light weight that will mostly be used for recording video. However, it would be a huge bonus to be able to use it for stills both in the field and at home so that I do not need a second camera. That said, my primary concern with this device is recording in the field.

Short list of considerations:
- Cost: I'd like to stay below 2k
- Image quality, including reducing shake associated with recording on the go
- Versatility: being able to use the device to shoot stills and video would be a plus
- Durability: given that I will be using this piece of equipment in the elements, I'm hoping to get something that will hold up relatively well without a bunch of extra TLC

The options I've been looking at for camcorders are the Sony AX 53, AX 100 and FDR-AX700. The cameras are the RX100 and RX10 III/IV.

Any feedback on those, any other options or other considerations that I may not be thinking about would be very helpful.

I recently started using a Hero 7 black. The stabilization is very impressive. The big advantage to something like a go pro is it's toughness and durability. The footage is substantially lower in quality than what I get from my dslr. But it's a balance because the go pro will do ultra slo-mo (10x), can shoot underwater, and automatically makes hyper-lapse (looks like fast forward, long hike, float a river, etc). The footage still looks good if you massage it a little when editing and pay attention to its limits when filming.

I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from improving their photography game. But one of the main advantages of a dedicated camera is the ability to manually control it and changes lenses with a dslr. If you dont use these features the photos will be very similar to what you get with a cell phone. That's not necessarily a bad thing as modern cell phones take very good photos.

My humble suggestion would be to take a few videos with your cell phone and then edit it into a short clip. See how it turns out and if there is a deficiency in the footage purchase a camera that will address that.