Best lightweight scope rings

Elite

WKR
Hello I am looking to buy some lightweight rings for my savage ultralight storm build. I have bought a leupold VX3i and now I am wondering which rings I should get? Seems like there is some bad reviews on the tally rings? And what is the best way of knowing which style of rings I should order. Tall/short/ extended?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LightFoot

WKR
40 mm scope, I would go talley low. 50mm, then talkey mediums.

I have had goo experiences with Talley rings.

Leupold makes a similar set of rings/base, the "backcountry" rings. (They also make a "backcounty" picatinny)

I like that you can get the bubble level to replace the top portion of the talley ring.

I have 2x Browning Xbolts and both have the talleys with the bubble.
cc8a5a95d7d245434af870d520bf18d4.jpg

>>>----JAKE----->

blkqi

WKR
Talley are only about 4 oz and that includes the integrated base.
Warne Mountain Tech are 3.5 oz but will require a base.
those numbers are for 30mm / low configuration. Both are great products.

Last edited:

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
I have used, talley, nightforce, vortex, seekins, leupold, and hawkins. So far the Hawkins have been my favorite. I just need to get one of Hawkins heavy tactical one piece on the way now.

pirogue

WKR
How much weight savings (On different brand rings) can we be talking about? Equivalent to 1 shell difference in the chamber? So is this why people want Talley, because they’re lighter?

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
I don't sweat the weight savings but everything adds up quick so you cut where you can, basically what I look for is the truest ring when I lap them, the Hawkins were the ones I had to lap the least to get the contact that I wanted. Honestly I would have been fine without lapping them at all.

blkqi

WKR
How much weight savings (On different brand rings) can we be talking about? Equivalent to 1 shell difference in the chamber? So is this why people want Talley, because they’re lighter?
I pick a brand based on their reputation for precise machining and a quality end-product. It is the mounting system you choose which will most greatly affect the weight.

Consider that the Warne Tactical Rail (a great product from a widely respected brand) weighs around a half pound. Hard to beat integral bases or even a small Weaver-style base for a lightweight system like the OP is looking for.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
I've found the Talley Lightweights average about 2 ounces for the set. Unless you need a rail, they will work well. I have many sets on my lightweight rigs.

pirogue

WKR
I pick a brand based on their reputation for precise machining and a quality end-product. It is the mounting system you choose which will most greatly affect the weight.

Consider that the Warne Tactical Rail (a great product from a widely respected brand) weighs around a half pound. Hard to beat integral bases or even a small Weaver-style base for a lightweight system like the OP is looking for.
Gotcha. I had noticed one referenced Talley with some bad reviews, but it seems like they are historically recommended on this site. Guess his “bad” reviews may reflect more weight than Leupold bases and rings, as opposed to a quality issue. Thanks for another perspective.

Buy the highest quality you can afford. Saving a couple of ounces on bases/rings generally isn’t worth it, in comparison to a more robust mounting system. With modern machining and quality control, you shouldn’t be needing to lap rings. A picatinny rail and rings from American Precision Arms, American Rifle Company, Badger Ordnance, Spuhr etc. will give you sold results.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Thanks for input guys. I called my closest gun shop and all they carry is some leupold and vortex and weaver. I am wondering how much more these would weigh vs the Talley lightweight ones?

LightFoot

WKR
Thanks for input guys. I called my closest gun shop and all they carry is some leupold and vortex and weaver. I am wondering how much more these would weigh vs the Talley lightweight ones?

Manufacturers generally list weight in the specifications. Talley rings can be ordered from Midwayusa.com, Amazon, and many other online retailers if your local shop doesn't have them.

The difference will probably be a few ounces, which will probably be negligible 99% of the time.

>>>----JAKE----->

Sled

WKR
talleys have been great for me but the down side is if you remove your scope you have to remount in the rings. a rail fixes that with the right ring. with the tikka the rail is integrated into the action, so bases/rails are redundant. not advertising for tikka here but just pointing out the convenience of the brands that do have it. i don't believe the savage ultralite has that but if not, talleys would work just fine.

Reactions: RRJ

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
Buy the highest quality you can afford. Saving a couple of ounces on bases/rings generally isn’t worth it, in comparison to a more robust mounting system. With modern machining and quality control, you shouldn’t be needing to lap rings. A picatinny rail and rings from American Precision Arms, American Rifle Company, Badger Ordnance, Spuhr etc. will give you sold results.
You're right, you shouldn't need to lap rings but you should try a set of your most favorite go to rings and see how great their machining and quality control is. Like I stated earlier the only rings that I would have been perfectly comfortable not lapping are the Hawkins precision.