Best non custom mountain rifle

gelton

WKR
Cant believe no one has mentioned the weatherby backcountry...I don't own one but the next mountain rifle that I purchase probably will be:

http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/vanguard_2/backcountry

Weatherby® Vanguard® Series 2 rifles are guaranteed to shoot a 3-shot group of .99" or less at 100 yards (SUB-MOA) when used with specified Weatherby factory or premium ammunition.
Weighs just 6.75 lbs. - ideal for long treks in rugged terrain
Pillar-bedded, Monte Carlo composite stock with spiderweb accents
Features chrome moly metalwork with CeraKote® Tactical Grey finish for exceptional weather- and corrosion-resistance
Fluted 24" barrel
Pachmayr® Decelerator® pad

Tikka T3 super light from sportsmanship warehouse 300 win mag with zeiss 3.5-10 x 42 Z-600 total weight 7.1 lbs. total price $1200. .5"MOA. This gun is awesome.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I am in the market for a ultra light weight rife myself.
Good read here. If anyone has any pointers, send em my way. I will search and study on.

hunting1

WKR

My newest addition is a Kimber Montana and they are awesome! Fit and quality is great and I am asking why I waited so long. My Remington Ti is going to get lonely... If you can swing the extra cost, very nice rifle, if not the SWH Tikka T3 Lights are very nice as well.

PA 5-0

WKR
As a bone stock gun, I have a Gen 1 Rem 700TI in .300SAUM. Still working it a bit but it shoots an inch at 100 with the heavy stock trigger. And if pressed, I think I could shoot it one handed, its that light weight.

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
As a bone stock gun, I have a Gen 1 Rem 700TI in .300SAUM. Still working it a bit but it shoots an inch at 100 with the heavy stock trigger. And if pressed, I think I could shoot it one handed, its that light weight.

I carried that exact rifle for a few years. I did lots of work to it and it would always shoot two 150g TSX hand loads touching at 100Y and the third was always high and right about 3/4" to 1''. Not sure why but I was never really happy with it. Still a very good mountain rifle though...

Last edited:

brno284

FNG
1.Kimber Montana
2. Forbes
3. Tikka Ts stainless fluted

like them all would be buying in non magnums 270 , 7mm-08, 280 and AI or 30-06 . Would feel fine in the mountains with any of the above in any of the chamberings mentioned

PA 5-0

WKR
I carried that exact rifle for a few years. I did lots of work to it and it would always shoot two 150g TSX hand loads touching at 100Y and the third was always high and right about 3/4" to 1''. Not sure why but I was never really happy with it. Still a very good mountain rifle though...

Any better pics of your ram???? Looks like a hammer!!

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Forbes 20B a couple weeks ago, failed to eject, stock was horrible, action was gritty. I sent it back and bought a Kimber MA and couldn't be happier.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I picked up a Kimber Montana in .280 Ackley. It is in the hands of Karl Kampfeld @ Kampfeld Customs getting a bit of work done. I am planning on a write up of the entire process after Karl is finished. The goal is to trim it down to less weight than an Ascent for less $! Finding an Ascent in the .280 was nearly impossible.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I picked up a Kimber Montana in .280 Ackley. It is in the hands of Karl Kampfeld @ Kampfeld Customs getting a bit of work done. I am planning on a write up of the entire process after Karl is finished. The goal is to trim it down to less weight than an Ascent for less $! Finding an Ascent in the .280 was nearly impossible.

Should be easily doable.
My .308 Montana is just under 2 oz lighter and still have $400 or sodas into it than just buying a Kimber mountain ascent in .308.

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
Just kinda perusing this thread and thought I'd chime in.. My lightweight rifle is my Nosler TGR in 7mm Rem Mag.. I have a vortex 4-16x40 but I'm looking to swap that out for a lighter option... I'm right around 9 pounds without rounds

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My Weatherby Super Big Game Master in 7mm Rem weighs in at 8 lbs scoped and shoots and inch if I do my part. Love the gun.

norsepeak

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka t3 lite ss in 7mm with a Leopold CDS on it. Very lite and accurate.

I love my Tikka t3 lite ss in 7mm08 with a Leupold 4-12 with the CDS. Super accurate with my handloads!