Best pant option for brush/briars/thorns in early season??

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I'm trying to find a more durable pant for running around after turkeys in the spring in WI, SD, WY and hunting in those same main areas for deer/elk in the Fall. I have owned FL Corrugate(not the Foundry) and Pnuma Tenacity pants(pretty similar to FL, 4 way stretch nylon) and they both have hundreds of thread pulls. WI in particular can have MASSIVE thickets of raspberry bushes that have a ton of thorns- they pierce thru this fabric with the greatest of ease you come out of the woods with your legs looking like you were inside a bag of cats.

I have been looking at the KUIU Kutana as sounds like that is a more durable version of the Attacks- I know guys love the Attacks but I know folks that have those around here and same issue as the others I mentioned, million thread pulls and any small thorn will pierce it. The timber in WI can be crazy thick, deadfalls, previously mentioned berry bushes, buckthorn, briars, etc, etc. First Lite Corrugate Foundry might be an option too, I know they claim they are more durable. Not really looking for a actual brush pant or upland bird type pant as those just arent that comfortable for the miles I typically put on. Maybe I cant have it all and need to just get brush pants and not have as much comfort.

ILIKEGEAR

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
The KUIU Attacks are comfortable but don't survive the woods here in Missouri either.

I can't recommend the Kutanas highly enough. It is my go to brush busting pant. I have a pair in Verde for spring Turkey and Valo for everything else.

They are light and durable. They do seem to fit me a bit tighter than the attacks so I size up.

We do a Review + raffle on KUIU Pants and the Kutanas are a top choice amongst the winners hunting brush.

Last edited:
OP
T

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I'll probably just have to buy a pair of Kutanas and see how they do. The marketing on so many of these lightweight nylon/poly pants drives me nuts, ' armored tank', 'bulletproof', 'takes a beating and comes back for more'. lol unless you walk thru a small patch of brush, then they will grab every small twig and thorn and pull and rip half the threads. 90% of these lightweight pants are made strictly for the guys out west walking thru mostly open terrain.

Bump79

WKR
Well it's a balance of durability out west as you're putting on a ton of miles typically. When you have stretch durability will go down. I've used the Corrugates for probably 6 years now and while they have pulls from thorns they have held up the best for me. Heavy use in Montana and Kentucky.

I wouldn't expect the Kutana's to hold up much better but maybe they do.

OP
T

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I've read some reviews of the Kutanas, sounds like they are the best option available. Wish I knew someone around here that had a pair to get their take on it. My Corrugates were pretty much trash after 2 months of turkey hunting....I mean usable but no kidding probably 75 pulled threads and small tears.

Like I said earlier, maybe i just need to suck it up and buy some heavy duty work pants from Duluth trading co or something. I mean even the crappy cheap cotton Walmart pants that come in Mossy Oak Bottomland for $12 hold up better then my $180 FL pants. Not super comfortable , but they dont grab every twig and thorn.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
Fjallraven ViddaPro Vent. They are probably a little heavier, but move well, really durable in the high wear areas. The G1000 fabric is a synthetic/cotton blend that can be waxed for extra weather and wear resistance. I dig em.

guylaga

Lil-Rokslider
Like I said earlier, maybe i just need to suck it up and buy some heavy duty work pants from Duluth trading co or something.

+1 for Duluth

I wear a type of their firehose work pants in the cooler weather hunts and they hold up great. I would advise against it when temps are above 75-80 and they are pretty heavy. So far they have handled the brush and cactus in Texas pretty well.

First Lite Sawbuck. Use them for chukar where an average hike is 7-8 miles. Never once thought “dang I wish these were more comfortable” Also use them for gambles quail where cat claw, cholla, barrel cactus, etc is everywhere. Zero issue and I plow right through that stuff

Lowg08

WKR
Go foundry busted brush all fall til December in mine. Saw briars multiflora rose bush. Crawling through laurels. Head high grass and briars. It’s hard to tell but very minimal picking

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 52

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
Fjallraven ViddaPro Vent. They are probably a little heavier, but move well, really durable in the high wear areas. The G1000 fabric is a synthetic/cotton blend that can be waxed for extra weather and wear resistance. I dig em.
I kinda view the Fjallraven G1000 stuff as modernized Filson Tin Pants....really tough, but you can actually move in them. I hunt, climb and XC ski in them.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
I kinda view the Fjallraven G1000 stuff as modernized Filson Tin Pants....really tough, but you can actually move in them. I hunt, climb and XC ski in them.
I have been looking at these are they comfortable enough to wear for everyday?

The Kutana is a big improvement in durability over the attacks. Slightly noisier but not too much. A more athletic fit than the Attacks. Comfort, quick dry, ect. are good. I've had mine in some blackberry patches and only had minor snags. The Attacks look like a yarn ball in comparison in the same berry patches.

Kdf22

Lil-Rokslider
One of our local sporting goods stores had these on sale years ago and I tried them out as a early season lite pant. After five years I finally got another pair. These pants surprised me as to the amount of Missouri briar they withstood without tearing or fabric pulling out. Lightweight and cool too quick to dry out. Sticktights come off very easy too. Only bad thing I can say is they’re imported.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
Oops, correction, my pants are the Fjallraven Keb trousers. Not sure what the differences are from the Vidda Pro Vent.

The standard Viddas don't have any stretch material in them, but are still really popular around here.

jester87

Lil-Rokslider
I have kutanas and love em for early general season use. They withstand more than attacks or corrugates but if I plan to plow through thick berry, scrub oak, nasty stuff I’m in Sawbucks or similar upland pant. The kutanas will pick in that terrain and you’ll feel those thorns through the material.

OP
T

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I have kutanas and love em for early general season use. They withstand more than attacks or corrugates but if I plan to plow through thick berry, scrub oak, nasty stuff I’m in Sawbucks or similar upland pant. The kutanas will pick in that terrain and you’ll feel those thorns through the material.
I kinda forgot about the Sawbucks. Those are the same price as the Kutanas, I wonder if I should lean that way for addtl durability? I just cant believe a nylon upland pant would be that durable but I guess the nylon chap on those must be pretty rugged?

TSAMP

WKR
I've owned both kutanas and sawbucks. No question sawbucks will handle more. However I found the fit to be terrible. I had mine tailored and still ended up selling them. The kutanas fit a tad small but I went up a size and have been happy. Shed hunting this weekend in iowa in new kutanas and I had a couple thorns come through and leave holes. They are durable compared to other kuiu offerings, but they aren't brush pants.

OP
T

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I've owned both kutanas and sawbucks. No question sawbucks will handle more. However I found the fit to be terrible. I had mine tailored and still ended up selling them. The kutanas fit a tad small but I went up a size and have been happy. Shed hunting this weekend in iowa in new kutanas and I had a couple thorns come through and leave holes. They are durable compared to other kuiu offerings, but they aren't brush pants.
Good to know. I shed hunt in Iowa as well, the southern part of the state will tear you up with those hooked thorn bushes-- you need to back out of if you get into them. I just read about the fit of the Sawbucks being weird too. I think I'll just do the Kutanas and see how it goes

OP
T

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know if KUIU historically holds some kind of spring sale?