Best pant option for brush/briars/thorns in early season??

My Kutanas have been money.

Don't overlook using a pair of gaiters to reduce the damage from vegetation on your lower pant legs. This can be regular hiking or hunting gaiters or even snake proof ones.

If you're not climbing mountains, then good ole upload pants are tough to beat. I wear these when hunting dove/quail and the occasional predator in the Sonoran desert:

Another potentially viable option is generic upland chaps or go full blown leather chaps.

OP
T

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
Well after all this I think these new pants from Thlete maybe are exactly what I'm looking for. I'm sure 99% of guys on here have never heard of them as they mainly gear towards the WT guy. I have a pair of their heavier pants and they are awesome. The zodiac pant is toray fabric like KUIU Kutana. Lifetime warranty with Thlete(and covers snags/pilling, etc- KUIU doesnt) and with the discount code the zodiac is $30 cheaper.

Moserkr

WKR
I have kutanas and love em for early general season use. They withstand more than attacks or corrugates but if I plan to plow through thick berry, scrub oak, nasty stuff I’m in Sawbucks or similar upland pant. The kutanas will pick in that terrain and you’ll feel those thorns through the material.
Agreed. Kutanas are very durable, but thin. They survive the prickly stuff but you will feel it cause it goes right through. Ive used mine from Northern CA to SD and all in between. Great for warm weather. Kuiu warrantied my kutanas after manzanita ripped up their stitching on the hip vent - material was intact though.

pirogue

WKR
Don't overlook using a pair of gaiters to reduce the damage from vegetation on your lower pant legs. This can be regular hiking or hunting gaiters or even snake proof ones.
The snake proof gaiters is what we use quail hunting in southern AZ, where there is plenty cactus, and thorns on most other plants.

Zdub02

WKR
Unpopular opinion for this forum but if I know I'll be busting briars I'm wearing carhartts or a similar material. They turn briars well and hold up to substantial abuse and cost much less than the other pants mentioned in this thread. Granted you will lose comfort but your legs, pants, and wallet won't get torn up. Just food for thought

Unpopular opinion for this forum but if I know I'll be busting briars I'm wearing carhartts or a similar material. They turn briars well and hold up to substantial abuse and cost much less than the other pants mentioned in this thread. Granted you will lose comfort but your legs, pants, and wallet won't get torn up. Just food for thought
Carhardts are a very viable option as well. Dickies work as well.

OP
T

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered the Thlete Zodiac pant after all, we'll see how they do. I have heavy carhart type pants for heavy brush but its not uncommon for me to put on 10 miles a day chasing turkeys for example - those type pants get pretty uncomfortable after a few miles. Also many times I'll go into a area thinking it shouldnt be to bad in regards to thorns/briars, etc and then, suprise! Hell hole and I'm wearing some typical Nylon pant and getting my legs bloodied

Jed0585

FNG
I ordered the Thlete Zodiac pant after all, we'll see how they do. I have heavy carhart type pants for heavy brush but its not uncommon for me to put on 10 miles a day chasing turkeys for example - those type pants get pretty uncomfortable after a few miles. Also many times I'll go into a area thinking it shouldnt be to bad in regards to thorns/briars, etc and then, suprise! Hell hole and I'm wearing some typical Nylon pant and getting my legs bloodied
Can you give us a quick review of the Zodiacs? I just heard the Thlete owner talk about these on the Whitetail Experience podcast and am really intrigued. Seems like a good company and a bomb proof pant.

Thanks

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I have the kutanas in camo and the sawbucks in solid. The kutanas are tough but not Brier proof, they are incredibly durable for how light weight they are. Shed water and dry super fast. They are my go to turkey hunting pant. For me the fit is a little off when sized to fit my waist the thighs are very tight on my legs but this is not uncommon for me.

The sawbucks for me are incredibly comfortable, fit better than my favorite pair of jeans they are much roomier than the kutana but not baggy. I got them on sale as a work pants around the cabin, hanging stands weed whacking, scouting ect but I've wore them bear hunting to wade through clear cuts because they offer better protection than the kutanas. They run a bit warmer than the kutana but aren't a hot pant.

I really like both, I'd say sawbuck offer better protection kutana are more versatile.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

JRS3

FNG
The KUIU Attacks are comfortable but don't survive the woods here in Missouri either.

I can't recommend the Kutanas highly enough. It is my go to brush busting pant. I have a pair in Verde for spring Turkey and Valo for everything else.

They are light and durable. They do seem to fit me a bit tighter than the attacks so I size up.

We do a Review + raffle on KUIU Pants and the Kutanas are a top choice amongst the winners hunting brush.
I agree with everything on this. Spot on. Get the Kutanas 100%.

ba5592

WKR
Well after all this I think these new pants from Thlete maybe are exactly what I'm looking for. I'm sure 99% of guys on here have never heard of them as they mainly gear towards the WT guy. I have a pair of their heavier pants and they are awesome. The zodiac pant is toray fabric like KUIU Kutana. Lifetime warranty with Thlete(and covers snags/pilling, etc- KUIU doesnt) and with the discount code the zodiac is $30 cheaper.

Where can I find the code?