Best practice for simple DOPE card?

Antares

WKR
I think i saw someone post here a generic 9 MPH full value wind is 0.1 mil aerodynamic jump. That seems like a reasonable way to look at it, for a MOA scope that would translate to a 6 MPH full value wind = .25 MOA up or down.

That + MPH wind brackets + just not shooting at animals that far away seems like a streamlined process for hunting shots most of us have any business taking.

Seems like 4DOF is getting lots of people funky data with AJ if not using their ballistic curves and doesn't have an option for Density altitude? I'd skip it because of that.

I used 4DOF for a few years. I got tired of the goofiness with AJ (for reference, it happens with their doppler curve profiles too.) I also didn't love the user interface.

I switched to Shooter earlier this year and am liking it. Seems more straightforward to me. User interface is better,

I like the science of shooting, but I like shooting way more. You can nerd out and try to figure out what the apps are telling you, or you can go shoot and learn how to make your setup work.

I am a bit different than most guys as I don’t use an app or any sort of ballistic software, to get my dope. I get an initial set of numbers from hornady and then I just go zero and then go shoot and figure it out from there.

I don’t get too wrapped up in wind either, or its direction. Inside of 500yds it just doesn’t seem to make much of a difference unless it’s extremely windy, in which case I probably shouldn’t be shooting anyway.

Just my two cents.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like the science of shooting, but I like shooting way more. You can nerd out and try to figure out what the apps are telling you, or you can go shoot and learn how to make your setup work.

I am a bit different than most guys as I don’t use an app or any sort of ballistic software, to get my dope. I get an initial set of numbers from hornady and then I just go zero and then go shoot and figure it out from there.

I don’t get too wrapped up in wind either, or its direction. Inside of 500yds it just doesn’t seem to make much of a difference unless it’s extremely windy, in which case I probably shouldn’t be shooting anyway.

Just my two cents.
Right on. Shooting is far more important than apps for sure, and inside 500 personal dope is totally serviceable.

tak

WKR
It's not mainstream, but just adding that I really recommend making dope cards based off of your exact elevation increments and not just even yardage increment.

It's much more accurate for me and my brain especially at longer ranges. I've done this quite a bit for hunting and for NRL hunter matches - I don't use ballistic binos.

Also writing out a dope card by hand helps cement your dope in your brain and that helps at crunch time, and also helps you recognize mistakes if your app spits out something crazy. It goes in the back pocket of my bino harness for a hunt or on my wrist for a match.

FWIW, I like 4Dof or Revic app and their Doppler models. If you can get a custom drag model it's much better than using a traditional BC.

593ac9bf18e4b1a58773226c95b17bcb.jpg

TaperPin

WKR
I lost one of the biggest mule deer I’ve ever seen because of about 5 seconds. A fairly easy 150 yard shot and I was 5 seconds short dicking around. Since that day I swore to practice, buy equipment, and hunt in ways that contribute to getting shots off quickly when needed, as well as the ability to reach out.

Don‘t clutter up your primary dope card with information you don’t need. Tape it on the gun so it’s always there in the same place. You don’t need to follow the way I zero, but find something that is easy to remember and works for you. I’ve been hunting for four decades using these holds so it’s second nature. This year I’m starting to dial for longer distances so it’s still a matter of learning what system works for me in the 500-600 yard range.

I zero at 300. 100-200 hold 1/4 the way up the chest. For 350 hold 3/4. At 400 the hold is just barely over the back. At 450 the hold is half a deer chest over the back. Unless the shot is past 450 it only takes two seconds to know where to hold, there’s no dialing. By the time you reach up and dial, the deer could be dead. For wind out to 450 yards don’t waste time figuring a number - just hold 2 moa and it’s close enough - Past 450 is what separates the long range shooter from the average, and your numbers become very important.

Last edited:

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
My dude, you're advocating for holding on air for 400m +??

Respectively, that's terrible advice. It's been proven over and over and over that keeping the crosshairs on the target, at all elevations, is the most consistent way to score hits. Full stop.

Dial, hold for wind, fire. It's not complicated or time-intensive. If it is, you need to practice more. (Speaking from my own experience, where I generally sucked at shooting, thanks to Fudd Lore.)
I lost one of the biggest mule deer I’ve ever seen because of about 5 seconds. A fairly easy 150 yard shot and I was 5 seconds short dicking around. Since that day I swore to practice, buy equipment, and hunt in ways that contribute to getting shots off quickly when needed, as well as the ability to reach out.

Don‘t clutter up your primary dope card with information you don’t need. Tape it on the gun so it’s always there in the same place. You don’t need to follow the way I zero, but find something that is easy to remember and works for you. I’ve been hunting for four decades using these holds so it’s second nature. This year I’m starting to dial for longer distances so it’s still a matter of learning what system works for me in the 500-600 yard range.

I zero at 300. 100-200 hold 1/4 the way up the chest. For 350 hold 3/4. At 400 the hold is just barely over the back. At 450 the hold is half a deer chest over the back. Unless the shot is past 450 it only takes two seconds to know where to hold, there’s no dialing. By the time you reach up and dial, the deer could be dead. For wind out to 450 yards don’t waste time figuring a number - just hold 2 moa and it’s close enough - Past 450 is what separates the long range shooter from the average, and your numbers become very important.

TaperPin

WKR
My dude, you're advocating for holding on air for 400m +??

Respectively, that's terrible advice. It's been proven over and over and over that keeping the crosshairs on the target, at all elevations, is the most consistent way to score hits. Full stop.

Dial, hold for wind, fire. It's not complicated or time-intensive. If it is, you need to practice more. (Speaking from my own experience, where I generally sucked at shooting, thanks to Fudd Lore.)

How do you think game was shot at long range prior to scopes that could reliably dial? I first sighted in a 270 like that 45 years ago. Everyone I hunted with did. My wife shot her first big game animal at 450 yards with that hold. She wasn’t much of a shooter, but it worked quite well for her. My other friend rarely missed at 500 - 550.

I always suggest that nobody should shoot farther than they can reliably hit a dinner plate. If you can’t shoot with those kind of holds, there’s nothing wrong with that, but for those of us that are used to it, it has put a lot of meat in the freezer.

When I watch guys dial It’s normally painfully slow. Practice slow = shoot slow. How many seconds does it take you to dial from the time you have a yardage until your finger is ready to put pressure on the trigger? When the biggest buck of your life jumps out and may or may not stand around for you, every second counts. The last thing I want to do is take my eyes off of him and focus on adjusting the scope.

If you want to dial, then dial, but by the time you’re getting a sight picture my gun has already gone off.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
That’s the weakest argument I’ve ever heard. In 5 seconds after ranging Ill have two shots off. lol

The best- that is fastest shooters on the planet with rifles are about 5 seconds to a hit on a 12” target at 300 yards from standing, going to prone with a prepped rifle in a perfect ready condition.

Any one that isn’t in contention on the national level of 3 gunners, isn’t remotely getting off a shot in 5 seconds.

TaperPin

WKR
No you won’t. Lol. No. Not holding over at 450 yards with whatever magnum your shoot.

Why is this place turning into Fudslide?
What is happening here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m getting a laugh out of this, because you want to believe that there was never a way to effectively shoot long range before your generation. Lol

Marshfly

WKR
The best- that is fastest shooters on the planet with rifles are about 5 seconds to a hit on a 12” target at 300 yards from standing, going to prone with a prepped rifle in a perfect ready condition.

Any one that isn’t in contention on the national level of 3 gunners, isn’t remotely getting off a shot in 5 seconds.
But didn't you know TaperPin is Jason Borne?

TaperPin

WKR

That’s a bs argument and you know it.

I like how simplified my latest is using Mil. This is taped on the left side of my stock.

Attachments

• IMG_3098.jpeg
    IMG_3098.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 40

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Respectfully, I've heard this before. And when put to the test, it never has held true.

In "the good ol days" guys missed (best case), or wounded. And then followed up the wound by saying "darn, those elk are tough..." and buying a 338 win mag.

This is easy to test, and I've done it: get a stopwatch, $100, and set some 12" plates at random intervals 250m+ out.

Guy who can hit all 3 plates in the shortest amount of time wins $100.

Not once has Kentucky windage (holding air) won.

How do you think game was shot at long range prior to scopes that could reliably dial? I first sighted in a 270 like that 45 years ago. Everyone I hunted with did. My wife shot her first big game animal at 450 yards with that hold. She wasn’t much of a shooter, but it worked quite well for her. My other friend rarely missed at 500 - 550.

I always suggest that nobody should shoot farther than they can reliably hit a dinner plate. If you can’t shoot with those kind of holds, there’s nothing wrong with that, but for those of us that are used to it, it has put a lot of meat in the freezer.

When I watch guys dial It’s normally painfully slow. Practice slow = shoot slow. How many seconds does it take you to dial from the time you have a yardage until your finger is ready to put pressure on the trigger? When the biggest buck of your life jumps out and may or may not stand around for you, every second counts. The last thing I want to do is take my eyes off of him and focus on adjusting the scope.

If you want to dial, then dial, but by the time you’re getting a sight picture my gun has already gone off.