Best threaded muzzle break ?

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
I have a proof barrel on a 6.5 creedmore. It’s threaded at the end and have been wanting to throw a break on it just cuz. Worth it? If so what are the best breaks you guys have used?
Thanks

carter33

WKR
I don’t think a brake is an absolute necessity on a 6.5 cm especially if it isn’t ultra lite. But I am a fan of brakes, if they can help tame recoil then they absolutely help people be more effective. The APA and area419 brakes are hard to beat. I have experience with the APA micro and little bastards and both have been awesome. I prefer the self timing brakes so you can take em on/off yourself without a gunsmith or messing around with washers. This is a big plus especially if you use a suppressor on occasion.

notradame

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think a brake is an absolute necessity on a 6.5 cm especially if it isn’t ultra lite. But I am a fan of brakes, if they can help tame recoil then they absolutely help people be more effective. The APA and area419 brakes are hard to beat. I have experience with the APA micro and little bastards and both have been awesome. I prefer the self timing brakes so you can take em on/off yourself without a gunsmith or messing around with washers. This is a big plus especially if you use a suppressor on occasion.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D its like people just want to put brakes on everything these days.

feanor

WKR
What are most of the brakes made from? It looks like they have a coating. Do they have a life span or will they last a long time? Sorry for the side bar.

HawkinsPrecision

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
What are most of the brakes made from? It looks like they have a coating. Do they have a life span or will they last a long time? Sorry for the side bar.

Can't speak for anyone else, but ours are made from extremely hard 17-4 stainless steel and then coated. They should last a very long time and take all the abuse you can throw at them.

Amarican Precision Arms (APA),
Gen 2 or Gen 3,
Little Bastard

I use this brake on all of my hunting rifles. Aggressive recoil reduction, directional ports (not radial - kicking up dust) and it really helps with being able to spot my own impacts. It’s louder than a lot of brakes on the market, which is definitely a drawback, but the trade offs are worth it to me.

However, on my training rifle (6.5 CM) I shoot a ThunderBeast Arms suppressor. Which is a perfect application for a suppressor.....a low recoiling rifle with higher volume round counts.

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone tried the two or three port brakes sold by Axial Precision? They have the top ports too which from what I understand are supposed to reduce muzzle rise.

The recoil is light enough as is. No way I’d make my gun louder throwing a brake on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
I like to see my own impacts in the scope, even at short range, and even when shooting from compromised field positions. Brake or can for me, no bare muzzles if I can avoid it.

The APA Lil’ Bastard and Fat Bastard are awesome. The Piercision Muscle Brake is awesome. The Area419 Hellfire is awesome - but does require the mount to be threadlocked to the barrel (probably the best option if you are swapping between brake and suppressor, though). For a 6.5 Creed, I’d use a Fat Bastard, Muscle Brake, or Hellfire, in that order.

I don’t have a lot of experience with brakes on civilian rifles. I only own the one that came with a radial brake and I’ve since upgraded to a directional (CA Titanium). All I can say is my magnum with the brake has lighter recoil than another heavier .308 rifle. Totally worth it IMO.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
I've ran the area 419 hellfire brakes on a couple rifles and they are very effective.

I just recently snagged an Insite Arms Heathen Lite. It's basically an aluminum version of their heathen. It's on my 06 now and works well while saving me almost 1/4 lb over the hellfire. Time will tell how it holds up, but im hoping it will last the life of the barrel. I have about 150 rounds on it and haven't noticed any erosion.

If I ran brake on a 6.5 CM it would be a Lil Bastard, but I would NOT run a brake on a 6.5 CM. I use a linear comp on two of my 6mm cals. Photo shows my 6 CM with a comp made by Archon Mfg. The Archon Mfg makes definitely reduce recoil and help send the noise downrange.

Big fan of these things! Food for thought...

IMG_7328.jpg

Rich M

WKR
I'm not big on brakes. Too noisy, especially for folks w you or near you. Lil bastard is what I call the guy who shows up w a 223 and a brake. Noise sends me packing. (I'm actually deaf and can't handle the stress it causes. )

6.5 doesn't recoil enough to need a brake. Maybe a can is more like it.

Last edited:

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the 419 hellfire. The MPA brake is great but imho better for bench only purposes due to the overall size. That tank brake posted above is very intriguing though. May have to check one out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run an Apa little bastard brake on all my barrels and hands down that would be the break I would recommend.