Best TSS size for 70yd turkey load???

WyoHuntr

FNG
I'm planning to load up some 3½" 12 gauge with tungsten shot for next season. Im always looking to build a better mouse trap. The goal is to put 70yds in my wheelhouse. Looking for experienced input on whether I should gear toward 7, 8, or 9, tungsten shot. Haven't found much with a 60-70yds focus comparing those three sizes. With tungsten running ~$50/lb, (and my learned aversion to shooting large amounts of turkey loads in one day), I'd like to get a good starting direction. I'm in Wyoming, so not as many turkey die hards where I live! Watching dudes on YouTube run tungsten head-to-head with my load has me thinking I can do better.

I prefer TSS experience, self or buddy, as speculation is what I have already done for the past few days. I already run Long Beard XR #5 with kill patterns out to 60yds, so not looking for "cheaper" lead options. After struggling to get enough rounds to sight in a new gun, (could only find LB/XR #4), I'm going the home-brewed route.

RMM

WKR
Personally, I would say #9. Its what I use in my 12ga. More BB's and they carry as much or more energy at 40-50yds as Hevi-Shot #5. I just purchased a Mossberg SA-410 Turkey for this year and I'm planning on running #9's with that as well.

CJF

WKR
9's....still plenty of energy.......at 70 yards you want density in the pattern and 9's deliver.

hobbes

WKR
It's not what you asked but you surely had to expect it. You'll catch quite a bit of negative feedback when asking for 70 yards loads on hardcore turkey forums. TSS will do it with the right setup but damn that's a long way. Getting them to come in that additional 30 to 50 yards is some of the best part of turkey hunting.

bradb

WKR
Seen one shot with 9s in a 20 gauge at 70, it was limping so bad didn't think it would make it anyway.
No, I don't think turkeys at 70 is why I turkey hunt. The fun is getting them in close and usually not that hard.
But to each there own

Last edited:

Zappaman

WKR
I use TSS 9s in my loads and although it WILL kill at 70, I don't have a choke that can manage the pattern that far. But out to 40 if they "peak" thier head around (or above) the log-- I'll take that shot in an instant!

hobbes

WKR
I was a firm believer in staying with lead for years. Dead is dead, and lead accomplished that for years for me. However, I have been on the TSS bandwagon going on 5 years now. It's quite incredible what TSS 9s are capable of. I handload 1 5/8 oz. #8.5s in 2 3/4" 12 ga . It gives me solid patterns with minimal recoil. I was quite tired of 3 1/2" loads that walloped me as much as the turkey.

While Winchester Longboards are great at holding a pattern, lead does not have the density to be reliable at killing past around 50 yards, in my opinion, regardless what the advertisements say. I've killed multiple birds through the years at that 50 yard mark with lead, but on several occasions I was chasing the bird in circles that had it's head up. He wasn't in good shape by any means but it was just too damn far. In most cases it was a wide open field and I did a terrible job of estimating range.

The benefit of TSS is it's density, 18 g/cubic cm vs lead at 11 g/cubic cm. This allows dropping significantly in size shot used. In addition it's a perfect sphere that maintains it's shape due to its hardness so you get a crazy tight patterns. The combination penetrates way over what lead can do. You literally turn a turkey's head to swiss cheese.

If I was convinced that I had to shoot them at 70 yards, I would shoot a larger size shot than #8.5s. To keep from swiss cheesing the whole bird at that range, you'll be shooting a lazer up close.

I still think that you are missing out on the best part of spring turkey hunting by killing them that far.

Last edited:

Zappaman

WKR
I use an over-under with the TSS on top and the steel #6 on the bottom... agree, best to bring them in an "jelly" the head out to 20 yards with the steel shot. But if a Tom is hanging up (and he does at times), I like being able to pop him at 40 yards without worrying about crappy steel loads that bounce off them at that range ;)

Last edited:
I guide in Nebraska and Kansas every year recommend a 20 gauge with 9TSS shot,believe me when I tell you there’s no need for a 12 gauge. And yes I watch them taken at 60 or 70 yards with this combination. The secret is to hold the red dot at the top of their head and let it drop down . TSS is very heavy and will drop about 6 inches on a 40 yard zero.Also TSS 9s penetrate a gobblers head not just slam it.This is a proven combo you really have to see to believe. I recommend 1 5/8 3” 20 gauge with a Carlson’s choke ,575 .

I guide in Nebraska and Kansas every year recommend a 20 gauge with 9TSS shot,believe me when I tell you there’s no need for a 12 gauge. And yes I watch them taken at 60 or 70 yards with this combination. The secret is to hold the red dot at the top of their head and let it drop down . TSS is very heavy and will drop about 6 inches on a 40 yard zero.Also TSS 9s penetrate a gobblers head not just slam it.This is a proven combo you really have to see to believe. I recommend 1 5/8 3” 20 gauge with a Carlson’s choke ,575 .

How does how heavy it is change how fast it drops?

satchamo

WKR
Yeah…. TSS needs to be banned for turkeys. They’re struggling bad right now so we as Sportsmen need to think long and hard about the ability to effectively double the range you can shoot turkeys from just a decade ago.

If you need to shoot at Turkey at 70 yards, get better at Turkey hunting.

Flame away.

Zappaman

WKR
I've shot them at 70 yards (through the neck once. lucky shot) with a 222 ;). My dad used to keep a "turkey" load (FMJ 225 round) in the glove box at the ranch for when they saw one crossing the road at 150 yards. Never ate a "Butterball" until I was 10 (when we moved to NM).

I agree...need to let em' rest and recover. No turkey for a few years now (or quail) here in east central Kansas. Plenty of deer and coyotes to keep us busy anyway-- and GEESE everywhere too ;)

Last edited:
OP
WyoHuntr

WyoHuntr

FNG
This is entertaining as hell when you don't know much or care much about turkeys 😆 Seriously talking about a ridiculous difference in distance that is less than my bow range! What cracks me up is that I travel to hunt heavily covered hill country just to make it challenging and actually chase the things. My neighbors have a field I could pop one in and be home for breakfast. (Locally, they are considered more of a nuisance). I'm picturing some of y'all sitting in a blind, over a food plot, behind a feathered decoy, talking shit about me not being a skilled hunter 😆 I'm sure the shit talkers are just the super duperest little woods ninjas that ever pursued a 15lb bird, haha! [satchamo, yep, you definitely seem like a flamer!] In a world of red dots, extra full chokes, and flitecontrol wads.... apparently it's the 70th yard that is the despicable line in the sand!!! Now that I know, I'm definitely putting in for a second tag, so that I can back up 300yd+ with the 22creed and knock one's head off... just to post it here 😆

To the informative responses: I appreciate the help! Makes me feel like I'm not the only one that's belly crawled after a last day gobbler that just won't move.... but I think that part skipped over the weekend warriors heads! I don't even know anyone that has shot Tungsten, so always good to hear from those who know it!

OP
WyoHuntr

WyoHuntr

FNG
Since I am naive about the purity of turkey hunting, I am curious if my last kill violates it: my last bird was off a botched double. My shot was obstructed. After my Dad's initial shot I popped up and sprinted after that other Tom like he stole my money. He freaked and couldn't pick left or right, so he tried both a few times. Meanwhile, I straight-lined through the brush as fast as my fat butt could scramble. I threw on the brakes and shot as I was skidding. I skipped the wad off the back of his head at 15yds! Is that also an ethical violation? 🤣

hobbes

WKR
I use an over-under with the TSS on top and the steel #6 on top... agree, best to bring them in an "jelly" the head out to 20 yards with the steel shot. But if a Tom is hanging up (and he does at times), I like being able to pop him at 40 yards without worrying about crappy steel loads that bounce off them at that range ;)
Just wondering, but why the steel? Nontoxic requirements? As you stated, no way I'd want to shoot them at 40 yards with steel 6s. At 20 and in, you could kill them with almost any shot.

satchamo

WKR
This is entertaining as hell when you don't know much or care much about turkeys Seriously talking about a ridiculous difference in distance that is less than my bow range! What cracks me up is that I travel to hunt heavily covered hill country just to make it challenging and actually chase the things. My neighbors have a field I could pop one in and be home for breakfast. (Locally, they are considered more of a nuisance). I'm picturing some of y'all sitting in a blind, over a food plot, behind a feathered decoy, talking shit about me not being a skilled hunter I'm sure the shit talkers are just the super duperest little woods ninjas that ever pursued a 15lb bird, haha! [satchamo, yep, you definitely seem like a flamer!] In a world of red dots, extra full chokes, and flitecontrol wads.... apparently it's the 70th yard that is the despicable line in the sand!!! Now that I know, I'm definitely putting in for a second tag, so that I can back up 300yd+ with the 22creed and knock one's head off... just to post it here

To the informative responses: I appreciate the help! Makes me feel like I'm not the only one that's belly crawled after a last day gobbler that just won't move.... but I think that part skipped over the weekend warriors heads! I don't even know anyone that has shot Tungsten, so always good to hear from those who know it!

Why is it so hard for you to comprehend range being a line in the sand? We’ve done it for decades with other species across the entire country. Examples - primitive muzzleloader seasons, shotgun/muzzleloader seasons (no center fire), bow only seasons… it’s all the same with the end goal of allowing more participation but limiting success. Because clearly you can’t have your cake and eat it too…. You can laugh at the idea of 30 yards being nothing but in the world of turkeys that’s like 200 yards.

You state you don’t care about the welfare or future of this bird that I - and many others - love and pursue each spring. From reading your post, killing a Turkey is just another notch on your belt. That’s cool - I get it. But some of us do care about these birds and their future. I have kids who I want to introduce this sport to and quite frankly I’m worried it won’t be possible. So yeah - I don’t have much sympathy for someone who “doesn’t care about turkeys”.

Desperate times call for desperate measures and I would give up hunting these birds completely if it meant helping them in the long run. So for me to see guys like you who are clearly oblivious to the world around them, who are trying to gain the system by using TSS for a couple Turkey breasts - I have 0 sympathy.

Open your eyes - turkeys are struggling in every corner of the US. If it hasn’t hit your flocks yet - it will. We as hunters have to do our part even if it is as small as saying I won’t shoot TSS or at least if I do - I shoot it ethically sub 40 yards.

70 yards…. You’ll be eating more shot than Turkey at that range.