Best Ultralight Tarp on a Budget

Needing to upgrade this year and with so many options out there I’d like to hear some real world reviews on what everyone would recommend.
Silnylon or what?

My 15 buck Amazon special did not cut it last year.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out the dyneema ones from zpacks if you want a nice one. If you watch the bargain section of the site they add stuff to it all the time

If you know anyone with a sewing machine and a pulse they could sew two lengths of fabric together from ripstopbytheroll

• Haha
Reactions: ZDR
Hey I just upgraded and picked up a new dyneema tarp and selling the one I’m replacing. Dyneema is the way to go for ultra light but it’s crazy expensive!

My tarp that I’m selling is a hex tarp with 6 guy outs (one on each corner and one in the middle of each side) and provided line. It’s made of Patagium 15D diamond ripstop nylon 1,500 PU/Silicone/DWR. It’s more waterproof than regular sil nylon. It weights 12.8oz and is 136”x88”

I’m selling for $100 of your interested. Original price was $179 and it’s only been used on one 3 day trip.

archp625

WKR
Needing to upgrade this year and with so many options out there I’d like to hear some real world reviews on what everyone would recommend.
Silnylon or what?

My 15 buck Amazon special did not cut it last year.

Thanks

What size tarp are you wanting?

archp625

WKR
I got recommended Borah Gear tarps. I dont think they have a 10 x 10 but I know they can custom orders. I got a 6 x 9 for $70. Its 7.45 oz. That was the best deal I could find. Made in the US as well.

homers

WKR
CCS is top notch and take a look at Etowah for more of a solid, but more budget friendly tarp.

I picked up a new tarp from Bear Paw Wilderness Designs last year and it has been absolutely awesome. I ordered a 5x7 for covering gear at out backcountry camp. It has tie outs centered in the panel which add some nice headroom when sitting under to cook. Couldn’t be happier. Light, reasonably priced. Shipped fast too even though it was custom.

MOSO 300

FNG
I picked up a new tarp from Bear Paw Wilderness Designs last year and it has been absolutely awesome. I ordered a 5x7 for covering gear at out backcountry camp. It has tie outs centered in the panel which add some nice headroom when sitting under to cook. Couldn’t be happier. Light, reasonably priced. Shipped fast too even though it was custom.

JEEF

FNG
Maybe not super budget but this is what I run - it's designed for a tarp over a hammock setup but I set it up with trekking poles.

Kammok:

EdP

WKR
Hard to know what you are looking for because you didn't specify the intended use, but you did say 10x10. I use the Seek Outside DST. It's 10x10 silnylon with tiedowns and center reinforcement to accept a prop stick for use in a diamond configuration. That's how I use it but, being square, it can be set up in a wide variety of ways. I now use it set up over my KUIU Summit Star 1. 20211110_150202.jpg20201117_130432.jpg

Phaseolus

WKR
Hard to know what you are looking for because you didn't specify the intended use, but you did say 10x10. I use the Seek Outside DST. It's 10x10 silnylon with tiedowns and center reinforcement to accept a prop stick for use in a diamond configuration. That's how I use it but, being square, it can be set up in a wide variety of ways. I now use it set up over my KUIU Summit Star 1. View attachment 380423View attachment 380427
I’ve been using the DST for a few years, great tarp. I did recently move onto the SO Eolus. It’s about the weight as the DST but gives much better storm coverage. It does need two poles or sticks to put up.

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
I love my DST from SO. I use it as a shelter basically anytime the weather is above freezing, and heavy wind and rain isn’t in the forecast.
I just picked up a sheep tarp tho and very stoked to give it a try this spring.
Both are available in the $125 range