Best upland bird vest?

Buzby

WKR
My vote is Q5. Same quality as Wing Works, but a bit lighter, and you can actually buy them. It’s a small, USA made, mom and pop company. Great customer service to boot. I’m in my 5th season with mine and it still looks like new. 0402D66F-CF97-4F33-806D-BFC8011455A2.jpeg

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I have a strap vest from Scheels, and its perfect for what I need. Can load birds from the front, water bladder holder, two water bottle holders, D loops on the straps for my Dogtra remote, and plenty of storage for shells, gloves, beanie etc.

I run a tenzing. I put the miles on chukar hunting, need to bring good amount of water for myself and two dogs. On one trip, I found this 6 pt elk shed and was able to strap it to my vest for 4 miles back to the truck.

My only complaint is it can be a little difficult to get larger birds (pheasant size) into the back pouch

Attachments

• 20181202_133339.jpg
    20181202_133339.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 54

Boch5473

FNG
Wildfowler has a nice strap best for 100$ , easy loading of birds, water bottle holders, nice sized pockets on the front, hip bearing set up. A friend of mine loves his and I just ordered one. Worth checking out for sure.

stevie

Lil-Rokslider
Been using a Filson strap or Quillomene San Carlos vest, been happy with both.

Out of all my vests my biggest complaint is the shell holders stretching out. My next one I will be double checking that feature.

WKR
Just ordered my Final Rise vest. Look forward to getting it this spring. Couple of the other expensive made in the USA by Americans vests caught my eye too. I'm sure I'll be 100% happy with the Final Rise.

ptwysocki

FNG
Worth mentioning about Q5 -- It used to be owned/run by Dan Priest...and was definitely known for great customer service. It has since been sold. Hopefully the new ownership can get a handle at the inventory and CS issues.

These days, with what's available...not sure why you wouldn't just order a Pyke if you want something more lean...or a Final Rise / Hunt Redi for the 10mi chuckar hunting guys. Any less than that I'd vote the Orvis or Filson strap vest. You just don't get the hip loading capabiltiy with those.

Last edited:
I've been using bucks bags for years and have complained about it every season and go to order a new vest and they were on backorder so I dealt with it. I had it this year and ordered a Final rise out of Utah and I am impressed so far. I really like the fact that its a small business and they are quick answer questions and have great customer service.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Short hunts Filson Strap Vest

1/2 day hikes carrying water for pointer & myself WingWorks. Even had WW set it up for my S&W Kitgun and holster

Currently rocking a Filson bird vest. Before next season I'll be getting a Final Rise bird vest. There is definitely a difference in bird vests out there and better brands compared to others. Wingworks seems to be very popular however never seems that they are taking new orders when I happen too look. The Final rise vests are really nice and are made with chukar hunters in mind.

Antares

WKR
I have the Orvis strap vest and I really like it. It comes in a non-blaze orange version which I like.

Cervid

FNG
I really like the Tenzing, https://www.tenzingoutdoors.com/catalog/product/view/id/489/s/tz-bv16/category/111/
you can normally find it cheaper than msrp.

I upland hunt with my dog and tend to go out for much of the day and might bring lunch, always bring a first aid kit, layer, etc. so I like having the storage space of the Tenzing. But if you run it empty for a short hunt that's comfortable too. Doesn't have the same look as the Filson's and other classic vests if that matters to you

Wilderness Spirit

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking at the Wilderness Pack Specialties vest.
Looks like good quality and made in the USA.