Beyond Clothing

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Leupold has American made glass starting at less than 200$. Carhart, Duluth, Keen, all have lines of American made good that aren’t outrageous. Berry compliant is a racket. Nobody has ever sold anything to the US government at a fair price. It’s all priced through the roof bc the Government is the one writing the check.

Maybe they’re fantastic pants. I’ll never know. Try to buy American when I can. Just not gonna spend a car payment on a pair of britches.

Nor am I saying you should. One can read this thread and see that I’m not championing for Beyond. I’m trying point out the reality of why those pants cost $350.

What exactly is the money that companies are making with the Berry Amendment? I know the exact manufacturing cost of some Berry Compliant clothing, and they are not making money hand over fist.

Carhartt, Duluth, and Keen are not using extremely technical, lightweight fabrics in a cut that requires significant sewing skills, and that causes excess leftover fabric. Both are using mostly cotton and cotton canvas pants, with a bit of nylon or spandex thrown in; in boxy, blocky cuts. It’s a significantly less expensive fabric, it’s easier and faster to sew, and there is less leftover fabric that can’t be used.

A comparable pant to the $350 A5 but made in China costs between $120’ish to $200. Are you willing to take a wage six times lower than what you are making now, so that whatever American industry you’re in can compete with China?

Last edited:

KSP277

WKR
I’m not in industry. We’re not gonna agree on this. They’re pants. They haven’t reinvented the wheel. The shorts were over 200. How much material can u waste making a pair of shorts. I just don’t see it. Agree to disagree.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What kind of income would an American sew house provide for the average worker?

OP
P

Poser

WKR
What kind of income would an American sew house provide for the average worker?

Based on what I’ve seen from Boutique manufacturers, you’re looking at right around $14 an hour on average.

Also worth noting is the manufacturing statement on Revelate Bags (bike bag company out of Anchorage with REI level distribution). They say that some of their specific sewing related needs are not even available options in the US: https://www.revelatedesigns.com/site/about/

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Based on what I’ve seen from Boutique manufacturers, you’re looking at right around $14 an hour on average.

Also worth noting is the manufacturing statement on Revelate Bags (bike bag company out of Anchorage with REI level distribution). They say that some of their specific sewing related needs are not even available options in the US: https://www.revelatedesigns.com/site/about/
$14hr :cry: I’m just thinking local to me that’s 60% of a livable income, a no frills livable income.

KSP277

WKR
Only because you are used to Asian prices. American fabric, American sewers making an American wage, by an American company. Check the prices for Arc’teryx, Patagonia, OR, etc. Berry Compliant clothing.
You only think $350 is expansive for US made goods because your world view is skewed by extremely cheap Asian products. When you pay $12+ an hour for sewing instead of less than $2 an hour, the product costs more.

This is the problem with chest thumping, “buy american”, patriotic hyperbole- no one actually means it. Your American made stretchy nylon pants are $300-700. Your totally American made scope starts at $2,500. Your American made phone (which the US does not have the capability or technical knowledge to do) is $3,000+. Your American made car is $200,000 for a base model.

These prices aren’t bad, I’d pay that for a good set of cold weather pants. Especially made in USA. But that’s their sale price, I still highly doubt they’re taking a loss at that number. So what’s the mark up? What percentage are they making at full retail. Looks like at clearance they’re 60-70%- ish off. I’m not in retail, or Industry so I don’t have a clue what typical profit margin is. Assuming they’re still making a couple bucks at their sale price, original MSRP seems crazy high to me. B89AA23F-84AE-44F4-BC8B-DCC158091BB8.png93E1BB56-66FD-49FA-9856-189CD0879B02.png636CBBAA-3B54-4FC8-85CE-344864AAAC51.png

KSP277

WKR
Hell I’ve stewed on these stupid expensive pants enough today I may end up buying something on clearance lol. Prices do seem really high to me, for some of their stuff. Some pretty reasonable. Especially if it holds up well.

corncob

WKR
I'm looking at a pair of these A5 pants now after getting some Outdoor Research Obsidians on deep clearance and realizing that the Tweave Durastretch fabric (used in some OR stuff and the A5 line from Beyond) is nothing short of phenomenal. Super durable so far, fantastic DWR, and super breathable. They've made me reconsider all my pants that I have from Kuiu and other hunting brands.

It's not just the "made in the US" that is increasing the price on these, part of it has to be the fabric. Try to find a Tweave Durastretch pant (OTTE, Arcteryx LEAF, etc) for cheap, you won't. A close competitor to that fabric are the Schoeller lines, which is what the Kryptek Alttidue lines are made of.

I know it’s kind of an old thread, but I figured I’d start here before creating a new one.

I’m looking at upgrading my cheapo/Walmart hunting stuff for some real backcountry clothing. I have a line on some Beyond Clothing items, and I was wondering if their layering system is worth investing in, or whether I should piece a system together? I’m fine either way, but I need stuff that I can wear everyday (for the most part). I like that their system is available in earth tones that would pair with a couple camo pieces come hunting season.

First off I am a cheap bastard. I got lucky and found the an a6 rain set on ebay. They are xl tall and fit like a glove. The quality and attention to detail is awesome. There is no comparison to the Chinese made Arcteryx, Kuiu, Sitka ect. No lose threads, water always beads nice, zippers are quality. I would shell the bucks out for another when and if I wear it out.

First off I am a cheap bastard. I got lucky and found the an a6 rain set on ebay. They are xl tall and fit like a glove. The quality and attention to detail is awesome. There is no comparison to the Chinese made Arcteryx, Kuiu, Sitka ect. No lose threads, water always beads nice, zippers are quality. I would shell the bucks out for another when and if I wear it out.
From one cheap bastard to another, that’s one heck of a complement. I’d prefer to buy a little high end gear that’ll last vs a house full of cheap stuff. I like that I can buy a whole setup made in the USA from them too.

350$ is batshit crazy for a pair of pretty basic pants. No matter how you spin the USA made aspect, it does NOT triple the price. Good buddy of mine makes his stuff 100% here in the USA and easily competes with the other companies who make theirs in China. Maybe they are more technical than they look, but 350 seems steep

350$ is batshit crazy for a pair of pretty basic pants. No matter how you spin the USA made aspect, it does NOT triple the price. Good buddy of mine makes his stuff 100% here in the USA and easily competes with the other companies who make theirs in China. Maybe they are more technical than they look, but 350 seems steep
Who’s your buddy? I’m open to other options. How is his quality?

Michael54

WKR
Made in U.S.A quality is not nearly the same as it was 20 years ago. It used to be the people making the goods took pride in their work and earned enough to make a living. About 45 mins from me there is a medical supply manufacturer. Their shift change looks like the line waiting for the methadone clinic to open. Place starts employees out at $8 hr....there is a big difference between made in usa products and quality made in the usa products.

i run their durable rain gear and puffy pants and i’m very happy with them. better all around performance than a couple goretex pro shells i’ve ran in the past.

i run their durable rain gear and puffy pants and i’m very happy with them. better all around performance than a couple goretex pro shells i’ve ran in the past.
Cool. Thanks! Everyone seems to love their BC stuff. I’ll probably start picking up some of their stuff and see for myself.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Their stuff is awesome!
Some of it is not however true to size; some is made for the military and meant to fit in a layered system over and under body armor. I wear a 2x shirt and have a medium 'monster parka' and it is HUGE on me.

I had one of their marshmallow jackets a few years ago and had the same experience as you, it was an xl which is my normal size but I was more like a 2x or even 3xl, it was seriously baggy, would have been great throwing over other layers but was impractical for my uses.

$14hr :cry: I’m just thinking local to me that’s 60% of a livable income, a no frills livable income.
My kid sister runs a sewing/manufacturing business that caters mostly to mountain bikers. They only make a couple products that are often rebranded for the retailer. Their sewers, who work from home, make $2K per week as independent contractors. Most of the people sewing for her are pot smoking millennials. My sis is constantly complaining when they get the pieces back, they wreak of skunk LOL When their workers get their paychecks, they often disappear until they run out of money, then come back looking for more work.