Beyond the bro' science, arrow setups

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
hey all,
This was a refreshing Rokcast podcast as @Bill V provides the physics/formulas behind building a deep penetrating arrow. While I like Aron's/Gillinham's/Ashby/Gritty and all the other bro's discussion/arguments on the topic of heavy arrows/FOC etc, I thought Bill explained it the best on this podcast. Yes he owns Ironwill, but he puts out the formulas to consider for velocity/momentum/arc/penetration. Took me back to college physics class, so very believable for me. Good stuff if you haven't listened to it.

Jimbob

WKR
Have you tested your broad heads in the wind compared to a mech or field point?

At long range do you set up your bow for field point or broad head ?

Thanks Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are these podcasts available to read? I don't get into listening to stuff. Maybe I will at some point but I don't stream anything. Be nice for me to read the interview and discussion. Probably partly cause I don't hear too well.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Have you tested your broad heads in the wind compared to a mech or field point?

At long range do you set up your bow for field point or broad head ?

Thanks Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently bought a shooting machine to quantify the difference in wind drift and drop for our different broadheads vs. field points at long distance. I'll report the results once I have time to complete the experiments. When shooting by hand, the difference is smaller than my group sizes, so hard to quantify but not substantial.

Trial153

WKR
This will get me through part of tomorrow mornings dread mill.... looking forward to it.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
curious what was the rear deploying mechanical you used in your testing. i enjoyed the podcast and insight

I don't name other companies broadheads that I test. I have tested several of the top mechanical heads though and found similar problems with very high force to penetrate as well as very poor edge retention and durability problems on bones.