Big Sky Products Revolution 2P review

After setting up the Copper Spur a few times in driving rain last year, I started to recognize the advantages of an external pole tent.

Kuiu's new tent piqued my interest.

Someone on here posted a link to Big Sky Internationals page and I did a little digging.

Im the type of guy that researches the snot out of gear, especially spendier gear. Low and behold, by the time I got over my "analysis paralysis" on the issue, Kuiu had pulled their tents off their website (maybe a blessing in disguise hearing of the potential leaking issues......at least I dont have to worry about getting a non-existent replacement).

Anyhow, ended up with a Big Sky.

I went a more "cheap" route, opting for the heavier aluminum poles versus carbon, and the heavier Silnylon shell versus the ultra ultralight shell.

Ive only spent two nights in it, but am so far IMMENSELY happy with it. Setup is a breeze, not much faster than any other 2P tent of similar design, but not fighting a standalone fly cuts a minute or two out of setup time, depending on wind, maybe more. I set it up in my yard with about a 20 mph wind, and with the guy lines deployed and the corners pegged tight, it seemed very taut and stable.

The thing is an absolute palace for one man, room for pack, bow, and all the other accouterments of the hunt. (after having a ground squirrel chew a hole in a pack, I like having my shit inside with me if possible). And unless youre both six foot five behemoths that weight 275 each, two guys outta fit just fine. Dual doors and vestibules is great for two as well.

I got the solid inner shell, and I was a little concerned about venting, but two nights in some humid conditions gave me zero condensation issues. There are two vents in the fly, and two small zippered vents at the top of each door inside. The inner shell is supposedly a breathable fabric, and I believe it. It was darn cold Friday night, and I had her buttoned up inside, and she was nice and dry in the morning.

At 3 lbs 6 oz for tent, fly with "porch", eight j-hook spikes and four guy out lines with stakes, plus ground sheet, im pretty happy. It has a little larger footprint than the Copper Spur, although I think the vestibules are a tad smaller. I like the extra height at 42", I dont have to low crawl to get in and out, and I can stand up (stooped over) to put pants on and such. Straight walls make every inch of the footprint usable.

If a guy went minimalist, and got the shell without the "porch" option (extra short pole), and spent a little more for carbon poles over aluminum, I think he could have a one man palace for around 3 lbs or just under.

For the real ounce counter, you could always drop the inner shell out and have a "tarp" style shelter.

Cons:
The floor is ULTRA slick. The larger footprint could be a hassle in real steep country where a flat piece of real estate is rare, and usually small, but I normally am not in that country.
It did also take almost a month to get it when I ordered it. They dont stock some stuff regularly (like solid interiors).
Lightweight material may not be extremely tough like many lightweight tents. Treat it with moderate care though and I think it will last a while (use a floor saver).

Pros:
Lightweight for the space it provides.
Sets up easy even in a stiff breeze when your solo.
Seems to vent well.
Lots of options when ordering, and how you use it.

unnamed.jpg

tent.jpg

Attachments

• tent2.jpg
    tent2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 135
Yeah that was me that posted the link to big sky. And after reading this chit bout kuiu mountain stars I'm kinda wishing I'd bought a revolution as well.
I haven't had my mountain star leak yet but I'm not as confident as I was before....

Thanks for the review!

Im looking into a bivy type option where I leave my Tipi and stove for base camp and take a one man tent or tarp bivy out for a day or two at a time.