Bino Case? Or no?

I've used harnesses, but never a pouch. Typically though I hang them around my neck and go when heading into the Elkwoods. And 90% of the time, they don't even make it out of camp. Pros n cons of carrying a bino bag strapped on?

wseidel

WKR
Two of the biggest reasons I would recommend you consider a bino case/carrier:

1. Protect your high priced binoculars from dust/bumps/clanging against your gun.
2. They provide a more efficient and comfortable method to carry them.

You'll find many threads on this forum that cover the many different options available. I have the Alaskan Guide Creations carrier and this fits my hunting style as it can carry other items, too (wind indicator, calls, license, range finder, etc.). Others prefer a more minimalist approach...all depends on your needs. Hope this helps.

Maybe they would make it out of camp more if it was more convenient to use? With the they stay clean, protected, quiet and there’s little fiddling to take out. No annoying bouncing pulling on your neck either. Also many models also have space for wind checker, bullets, tag, knife, etc. much handier than a backpack

7-Pointers

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to a case when I kept getting hit in the face by my binos on an Allen harness whenever I'd take little jumps down off rocks.

Napperm4

WKR
I went from harnesses gradually up to a fully enclosed pouch. I like things sleek and slim on my body.

The motivating factor to me was going from the low - mid tier to my first pair of swaros.

I wanted some better protection for them and because they were heavier, I wanted the wider shoulder straps and the option to either hang them out for fast access on a stalk, partly covered or locked down to prevent bouncing when hiking or running.

I now use a fully enclosed harness system and love it. I tried an S4 as a simplistic approach first. Next was AGC. Great for what it is. Loved the build quality and the shoulder harness. The pouch was way too bulky for my taste. Replaced that with an FHF. Loved the layout, quality and slimness but got plagued with dust inside.

I have the Kuiu pro now and aside from wishing there was a rear pocket to slip my phone in, I love everything about it best out of everything I’ve tried

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Like you, I rarely use my binos when bowhunting elk. But when I do bring them, I keep them around my neck and under my right arm (bow arm). They're out of the way until I want them......which is rarely.

I use an AGC bino case that also holds my range finder, extra calls, phone, wind puffer, etc. I only take it off to add or remove layers during the day. I am on the different part of the spectrum in that I use my binos often when archery hunting elk.

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
I found I would not carry binos unless they were in the carrier. I am normally a Midwestern hunter but like to carry binos in the field however they would stay in my backpack as a heavy expensive weight. I couldn't carry them for more than a mile around neck until I went out West and got an AGC carrier. I find it does get in the way sometimes but there is no better way to carry your binos, range finder, GPS, license, flashlight, and compass in an accessible way. I now even use it in a tree stand (especially in a treestand) as it is a great way to keep your binos and range finder ready to use.

I carry a bino case when I am bowhunting. It is easier to crawl or maneuver when my bino's aren't slapping around or falling out of my shirt and smacking on the ground. Rifle hunting is usually in cooler weather so i tuck them into my jacket

Fatcamp

WKR
I use FHF. License, windchecker, small knife, binoculars, rangefinder, and tag. I always have it with me. Those items are in the same spot every time I leave camp. Big fan of consistency in equipment. Muscle memory and all that.

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
I never used my bino much when I had in my back pack. Went to a bino harness (alaskan creations) works great use the my bino’s all the time now money well spent

crich

WKR
I use an AGC as well. Ill never not have a chest rig after using one. Having quick access to binos and rangefinder is invaluable for me. I like stuffing a wind checker, call and phone in it since I use OnX. I often deploy them just to check something out because they're so readily available and have spotted elk i might have otherwise missed. Can also jump streams and crawl under deadfall without worrying about them. I do feel the AGC is a tad too bulky for my liking and will be looking for a more streamlined option. Who knows maybe ill revert back to it. It is a pain to have to undo the harness every time i need to add or remove a layer as well. But overall i recommend some sort of pouch.

I use a FHF bino harness. The reason I went with that is it protects the high price optic, fits close to the body (Barely even know its there), and It also provides some addition storage. The most important reason of course is id rather have it and not need it compared to needing it and not having it.

Cali hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Chest rig keeps your investment protected. I use the kuiu pro and have no complaints. Keeps them from bouncing around or pulling on my neck. Plus I have some other little storage on it.