Bino Harness w/ Pistol

TheGDog

WKR
Anybody using the Marsupial holster that mounts to the bottom of their harness? Thinking going that route.
Oh didn't even know they made one! Well shoot, I'll have to look into that.

Currently have a Razco. And while it fills the need, not the biggest fan of the Razco, only because the snaps have given me problems, even after I asked them for a new set. They sent me new set and new straps. the thing of it is... their snaps? Must have insanely tight/incorrect tolerances on them by whomever makes them. Super-uber hard to push them down and make them "snap" on with your bare fingers! And let me tell you Man my XL glove-sized hands ain't sissified either from decades of weight-training and substantial amount of woodworking related to creating various speaker enclosures.

Just like the first set... with this second set... I had to use a pair of channel-lock pliers to get them to snap closed finally! To carefully apply pressure to the stubborn last bit that wasn't snapping on by squeezing the ever loving snot out of it between 2 thumbs and 2 forefingers working together!

On the first set using those channel-locks marred up the topside of the snap button. On this 2nd set, I was smarter and had to cover the snaps with a piece of bicycle inner-tube to protect the finish on the outside snap, and then use the channel-lock pliers, oh so carefully.

On the first set... when I wanted to take my binos someplace where having a holster hang off them might make people apprehensive (a local wetlands reserve in a beach community) I used a large flathead screwdriver and carefully popped them back off. When I then put it back on when I took them hunting, the one that held in the tail end of the holster became disconnected a few times when I was out there! I called their customer service and explained the dealio and as I said they were nice enough to step up to the plate and send replacement parts.

After having encountered yet again these insanely difficult to close snaps... this time... I'm just going to never take off the holster anymore. But personally I think that's not cool, as it's obviously sold to you with the intent that you can install and uninstall it when you need, since it's a snap.

My assumption is just that they must be sourcing those snaps from perhaps NOT the greatest source IMO.

Not trying to knock them per se... the concept of the design is sound... but as a programmer, I believe in the power of the UserBase reporting on stuff (aka User Reviews) as they tend to light a fire under the a$$es of those responsible to do something about correcting the issue.

Also... IMO... they need to possibly provide a couple more holes thru the Kydex flat-plate the holster mounts to so the user has the option of slightly changing the positioning of their holster left-to-right in order to fine-tune where exactly the pistol hangs underneath the bino harness. And I say this because while on a sit... I had to be careful with the buttstock of my rifle sittin' across my lap at a typical angle to allow quickly bringing it up to bear. I'd have the recoil pad sitting in my inner-elbow joint to make raising the weapon as quick as possible to get it seated in shoulder pocket. What would happen is the buttstock would occasionally knock against the pistol's grip, making a sound that could potentially blow your cover. I think just moving it over to one side a little more, like maybe up to 3/4" inch would clear that up, but you can't with their current design.

BjornF16

WKR
Currently have a Razco. And while it fills the need, not the biggest fan of the Razco, only because the snaps have given me problems, even after I asked them for a new set. They sent me new set and new straps. the thing of it is... their snaps? Must have insanely tight/incorrect tolerances on them by whomever makes them. Super-uber hard to push them down and make them "snap" on with your bare fingers! And let me tell you Man my XL glove-sized hands ain't sissified either from decades of weight-training and substantial amount of woodworking related to creating various speaker enclosures.

Just like the first set... with this second set... I had to use a pair of channel-lock pliers to get them to snap closed finally! To carefully apply pressure to the stubborn last bit that wasn't snapping on by squeezing the ever loving snot out of it between 2 thumbs and 2 forefingers working together!
The only snaps I have ever had a “problem” like that is with dot snaps (trying to snap/unsnap them in the wrong direction).

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my Razco attaches to my FHF harness without any snaps- an extra strap that goes around your chest to secure the holster, but mine has no snaps????

Antares

WKR
Thanks for posting. That pic gives a little pause. Seems like every time you'd squat down it would be hitting the top of your legs.

It does. Pistol butt touches my thigh when I'm on the 4wheeler too. Doesn't really bother me though. It's not like its digging in or pinching or anything. Keep in mind, those are 15x56 binos and a S&W 329PD. Smaller binos and a smaller pistol would alleviate some of the bulk.

ridgefire

WKR
Kenai chest holster carrying a G20 under my bino harness works awesome. I would def recommend taking a look at them.

SonnyDay

WKR
As several have mentioned, consider separating the gear for each purpose.

I run a GFI Kenai holster next to chest (9mm… black bear country)

A chest pouch kit I bought off some dude in Latvia via Etsy when HPG rigs were all back ordered

A KUIU bino harness on top.

I always have a backpack on as well—sometimes lots of weight. I was sure all the straps from all three chest rigs would cause discomfort… but it’s never been an issue. Also nice to be able to pick from the different chest rigs based on the sitch.