Bino input

I am due for a glass upgrade and looking for some input. I live in PA and do 90% of my hunting in local areas that lower grade binoculars have gotten me by fine. I take 1 10-12 day trip west to hunt Elk, mule deer, antelope and I need better glass. I subscribe to the buy once / cry once theory, however realistically am not sold yet on the idea that I need to drop the dough for a pair of alpha glass. I hunt archery and rifle and have been running a solo range finder - I have trouble with ranging binos when handling with 1 hand. I like the versatility of a 10x42 (or close to). Budget 1500$ - can be stretched depending on input. I have a local dealer that stocks Vortex, Swaro, Zeiss, Leupold, huskemaw.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

$1500 will get you used EL field pros, or $500 more will get you brand new ones since they’re on sale right now. The that’s the way to go.

Personally I’d buy a brand new pair from outdoorsman’s since they’ll come with the stud installed for free and never look back.

The GPO Passion HD should be thrown in the mix. It's very well built and has great glass. I spent 11 days using them back and forth with Swaro SLC and it was very comparable on all fronts.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I use 10x32 ELs Field pros and they work fantastic for me. I couldnt ask for better. Im sure their maybe some out there that can outdo these but it would be nitpicking at best. Dont overlook the 32s as they have fantastic light gathering if you go for swaros EL's less weight and smaller form factor.

$1500 will get you used EL field pros, or $500 more will get you brand new ones since they’re on sale right now. The that’s the way to go.

Personally I’d buy a brand new pair from outdoorsman’s since they’ll come with the stud installed for free and never look back.
This.

My use is the exact same as yours (90% eastern whitetail + 1 western trip a year), except my whitetail hunting is in Georgia instead of PA. I recommend the EL 8 x 32 Swarovision. Discontinued, but a like new set sold on here for $1375 asking price the other day, not sure what he let them go for:

I've had EL Range 10x42 and NL 12x42, and these 8x32 ELs are just right.

Looks like a bunch of options have been thrown out to ya. Rack and stack and pro/con them. Then let us know what ya went with and why.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chav0_12

FNG
Find some used alpha glass. I know, I spent $1500 or so on my 10x42 Swaro SLCs and almost wish I would've spent more. $1500 can get you some nice binoculars. Look at everything from Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski, even the Leupolds are good too. I believe the SLCs are now a Kahles product.

OP
T
Researched / narrowed and Finally got time behind swaro EL, Leica Noctovids, Zeiss SFL in 8x and 10x of each. Hard for me to tell much difference. Swaro and Zeiss SFL were top two. Z SFL was impressively but left with Swaro EL 8.5x.

Appreciate all the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the EL. It is a great glass and a good buy in today’s market. But it sounds to me that you really liked the SFL but were influenced by the online SW fan-club.

The EL isn’t a bad choice and they should provide years of satisfaction. However, I own many binoculars including NL, SF, SLC, SFL, etc, and know how they work in the field. If I were choosing a single all-around glass and 90% of my use would be in the PA deer woods the SFL or SLC would be the odds-on favorites. Both are a joy to use in the woods, especially while bowhunting.

Also, Zeiss is currently running a $250 off promotion on the SFL.

Image-1.jpeg

Portland

FNG

That’s exactly what I just did. $2k for a pair of brand new Swaro EL field pros and the Outdoorsman’s stud plus installation and free shipping? It was a no brainer for me.