Bino power for Elk spotter?

Bodie1331

FNG
I’m sure this has been gone over - if you’re going to carry a tripod but only binos for spotting what power would you go with? Assuming glass quality is good to excellent

intunegp

WKR
It's a new-to-me setup but is recommended often...I'll be hitting the hills this fall with 10s on my chest and 15s in my pack, both with adapters for glassing off my tripod. Haven't had a chance to play with them in the field but just glassing around my neighborhood at 200-700 yards I can pick up on birds and squirrels and stuff with the 10s and really get a good look at them with the 15s. I think it will be a nice combo.

I've hunted the past several years with only the 10s and often wished I had more power. If I was only going to take a single set I'd consider 12s as a happy medium.

OP
B

Bodie1331

FNG
To give it some terrain reference - I mostly hunt the Salmon and surrounding areas of Idaho and some mixed geography Colorado

OP
B

Bodie1331

FNG
I’m seeing now also this has REALLY been gone over a LOT lol - sorry guys!

Carrying 10s and 12s isn’t worth the weight. If you want to glass and spot carry a pair of 10 power binoculars, and get yourself a variable power spotting scope that’s made for the job.

Last edited:
I bought a lightweight allen shooting stick from Walmart with the Vortex adaptor. The stabilization while glassing makes all the difference IMO

I opted to carry swaro 15x56 for spotters, like them better than a spotting scope. Can spend more time behind them with less fatigue. 8x in bino harness.