Bino Upgrade From Entry Level

Rucker61

WKR
I'm currently running ZenRay ED3s, and I've had them since I started hunting 5 years ago. I'm getting an small, unexpected bonus from work and thought that this year could be the year I upgrade. I hunt antelope in Wyoming and elk in Colorado, and I don't care about trophies. In fact, I've never killed a male of either species. I just want to find them and kill the first legal animal I see. I use my binoculars both tripod mounted and free hand.

I'm looking at five binoculars right now: Minox HG from CameralandNY, Zeiss Conquest, Razor HD, Meopta Meostar and Maven B2. Those are in price order, as the Minox's are on deep sale at $600 and I can get discounts through various sites due to veteran status. The Meoptas have some funny ergonomics, the Mavens are from a small company with unknown staying power, there isn't a lot about the Minoxs out there and the Razors and Conquests have a lot of pro/con reviews out there.

As a procurement professional and all-around cheap b@stard, I'd rather pay less than more. I'm old enough that I probably only have 5 good years of backcountry hunting left in me, with good luck. Haven't looked through any of them (thus avoiding temptation to date) and have a set of braces and a new bicycle for kids in the near future, so saving up for alpha glass would actually mean no new binos.

I thought the conquests were very good binos and almost bought them. The deal that Trial153 posted would be really hard to pass up.

excaliber

WKR
I have seen some demo and used Zeiss Conquests for right around 700.00 I have a pair and I'm very happy with them. Ebay had some Zeiss Conquests recently.

There's some new ones currently listed on Ebay for 739.00 I'd be all over these if I didn't already have a set. Your not going to find anything close to the performance of these at this cost.

handwerk

WKR
Rucker, my sons both have those trinovids and they are great binos, not to far behind my swarovsiki EL SV's... especially at that price, I doubt they would be bested by the SLC's.

I'd spend the money on something else. Have you been able to use any of these things at your local sporting goods store and compare them to what you already have. The price point and reviews online on the ones you have suggests they're decent. I'm not sure, given your cheap b@stard (right there with you!) status and intent on only using them for 5 more years, that you're going to be happy with yourself doing an upgrade, unless what you have are scratched or otherwise compromised.
That said, I almost jumped on those conquests!

elkguide

WKR
I'd save a little bit more and get a pair of SLC's but not at the price that were shown. Shop around and you'll find them at a good price and you will have a lifetime investment.

NMhunter92

Lil-Rokslider
Rucker, my sons both have those trinovids and they are great binos, not to far behind my swarovsiki EL SV's... especially at that price, I doubt they would be bested by the SLC's.

Rucker,

I just purchased the Trinovids from Euro Optic. I have also had the new SLC's and El ranges. Very little difference in low light situations that I can tell from my eyes. They are very compact and take some getting used to but for $899 I feel I made a good purchase.

Loco4dux

WKR
10x42 SLC's absolutely love them. Won't buy new bino's for a long, long time.

OP
R

Rucker61

WKR
Update: With the synchronicity of a $50 discount code from Cabela's and a surprise work bonus of $75 for Cabela's gift cards, it seemed a no brainer to order the Euros at $125 off of the $999 sale price. They're on their way.