Binos and Range finder vs Range finding binos

snipe10

FNG
Been going back and forth for sometime. I know the Swaro EL Range and new Leica's are super advanced and can range well, but I'm sort of thinking of just going with the NL Pure's and a separate range finder. I get it weighs more and is two pieces instead of one but love the simplicity. Am I missing the boat here? Pure's are $3k plus but I already have a Vortex and Sig range finder, thoughts?

tdhanses

WKR
Depends, it’s more personal preference then anything, I personally wouldn’t go back to separate units.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
About .03% of the time that I use binoculars I want to determine range. If that were 30% maybe I would consider RF binoculars.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I sold my separate range finders when I quit bow hunting years and years ago. As a rifle hunter, a single unit is a much more effective tool for hunting. Both varmints and big game alike.

BluMtn

WKR
I guess if it is time to range it is time to get ready to shoot. I prefer they are separate due to the fact if I don't like the range finder I can get a new one. I do not want to buy another set of EL's.

Simplicity to me would mean one unit instead of two. I recently switched to RF binos and wish I’d done it a lone time ago. You’re already looking at it, a simple press of a button makes the shot process fast and easy… rather than see it, pull out a different unit, find the thing, range it, hope it doesn’t move before I’m ready to shoot. If it moves you start it all over again.

I definitely love good glass, but it seems like you can get damn good glass as well as rangefinding capabilities now from a bunch of manufacturers

WKR

WKR
I made the switch this year and ill never go back. The zeiss rf has absolutely amazing glass and the ballistic software has been good for me out to 1100 yards.

Shraggs

WKR
For rifle, no way I’d every go back to separates. Already mentioned is the efficiency or specifically the speed to glass, judge, range with solution to shoot. I’d also add, for me it far easier to actually get on the animal for multiple ranges quicker and easier than one handed for long or longer distances. It’s steadier.

For archery, no way I’d use one unit desperate s all the way.

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
For me it’s el ranges during rifle. But for archery I always have my sig kilo range finder with me. It’s just easier to stuff in my pocket on stock and also easy to acquire the target you need a range on when it’s close quarters.

Rangefinding binos on a tripod are pretty sweet though. Knowing exactly how far you’re looking and how much distance you need to close to get into position for a shot.

For me? Had the same dilemma. But to me? Within 200yds? Not a concern. 300+? Haven't had a situation that I font have time to shift. I went with the 10x42 nl pures and lecia 2800.com

I can update electronics and keep my glass. Plus redundancy is a big deal up me? If something happens to one I have the other on me.

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
Made the switch this year to RF binos. Best decision I’ve made. I still use separate units for archery hunting.

Cliffy65

Lil-Rokslider
Have both and use both. When I bought the Geovids, I left the rangefinder at home and soon realised that I need it for the final range reading when in bow range. The binoculars are perfect for planning to get into bow range as cover can be deceivingly further from the animal than it looks at distance, but it is bulky and difficult to use one handed when in close.
If I were a rifle guy, I’d use the Geovids only.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
i had Sig's kilo 3000 binos. they were pretty cool. pretty damn heavy. but i'm left handed and having the button on the right side wasn't much fun while holding a bow in my right hand.... and when rifle hunting i have time to screw around with both a set of binos and RF with a gun on my pack.

if the controls were more lefty friendly, i'd be more interested in RF binos. that said, it was pretty sweet to be able to range through the binos....