Binos and rangefinder vs rangefinder binos - bowhunting

EnDoB

FNG
I currently use binos and a rangefinder separately. I have had a few instances, especially in low light, when I am going back and forth between my binos and rangefinder. This year I had a good buck at low light that was walking through sunflowers. I had to keep looking through my binos to make sure the vitals were clear of sunflowers and then switch to range with the rangefinder. Are any of you using just rangefinding binos for bowhunting? If so what do you use? I love my swaro 12's from a distance but when I get in close I wish I had rangefinder 8x binos.

Tilzbow

WKR
For bow hunting I prefer a separate range finder so I can use it with one hand. If I was a rifle hunter I’d definitely go with one unit for both. If it‘s dark enough that you‘re having to use your binoculars to find a shooting lane, it’s probably too dark to shoot. Lastly, you can always carry range finding binoculars in 8x and and separate range finder.

Marble

WKR
The coatings needed on a rangefinder bino will make the bino not perform like a non coated. If you want alpha glass images, light transmission, and charity, then use a regular binos.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I ran the Leica Geos for about 7 years…but went back to regular binos and a RF for a few reasons…mainly I like the dual system better.

My buddy got some ranging binos - I run separate binos and range finder. He has the vortex ranging binos, I have some zeiss conquest binos and a vortex rangefinder. He spent as much on his binos and rangefinder (combined into one unit) as I did on my binos alone, but I was able to wait a year before I bought a rangefinder.
As expected the binos glass is better on the standalone unit (even when trying to handicap for Zeiss vs Vortex :)).

The primary thing that drove me to keep the 2 separate was being able to upgrade them individually, over time. It seems like the pace of tech change in rangefinders is faster than binos.

nphunter

WKR
A lot of times elk hunting I don’t even carry binos. If you’re in really thick country chasing bugling elk they aren’t needed. When hunting more open country or deer and antelope I carry both. I also really love my vortex 4K range finder and that it has a lifetime warranty. Rangefinders will fail eventually and most don’t have a warranty past 3-5yrs on electronics so if you have a combo setup your SOL if your electronics fail. Binos can last forever so to me it’s a no brainer to keep them separate for this reason alone.

I've got a similar thread to this over in the optics section.... I have different reasons. I love the applied ballistics that Sig has in their LRF bino BUT i can buy image stabilization binos and new monocular RF for less than the Kilo10K.... I like being able to access a deer and not have to switch to a RF to get the distance

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
If I was a western hunter, I might like the concept of binos with RF but for eastern tree stand hunting whitetails, binos are not often needed where I hunt with bow. The deer has to be in bow range to shoot anyhow so why binos? The RF is another story, I use it by itself in order to gauge distance to object in the woods where the deer might pass.

MattB

WKR
I prefer separate units. Binocs without RF’s can be better optically and I can switch between 8x, 10x, and 15x binocs as I please.

That and I can access my RF faster than I can my binocs which helps as a bowhunter.

ZDR

WKR
I use leica geopros for 3D tournaments and for the most part, they were great. Not having it to go back and forth between the rf and bins makes for a very smooth process I haven’t had an opportunity to hunt with them but I think they would shine there.
I am considering selling them and going back to a rf and bins system as they aren’t great for short yardage and some of the new rf are great with cuts.