Biology and politics, unfortunately linked

For reasons that don't matter I was curious to see the correlation between the percentage of Coloradoans that voted for Biden and compare it to the percentage of Coloradoans that voted for Proposition 114 (the wolf bill). Each dot represents an individual county in Colorado. As you can see there appears to be a very tight correlation (an r-squared value above 0.7 is regarded 'highly correlated'). I think we all knew this already. Anyway, this post is worth what you paid for it I guess.

1701290697288.png

Geewhiz

WKR
So what you're showing is the vast majority of biden voters also voted for wolf introduction? That makes sense.

OP
Dos Perros
So what you're showing is the vast majority of biden voters also voted for wolf introduction? That makes sense.

The data is at the county level, not individual voter level, but at the extreme ends it makes sense to infer that if you voted for Biden you also voted yes on 114 (and the inverse is also true).

Data/graph source? Is this a reliable source?

How does one vote XX% on something? Voting is binary, No=0 Yes=1

There is likely a strong correlation between the two, but the way its presented is suspect to me.

R2=85% is super strong for social sciences.
Notice also that the population is more likely to vote for JB than for wolves (slope is <1)