Bird nesting problem

I've got birds nesting under my rear deck porch in a gutter that is right underneath the porch roof above my hot tub on the rear deck. They poop all over the place. I'm not sure why they have gotten so bad, but I got chickens about 5 or 6 years ago and their food isn't totally enclosed, so I think that started the issue. I also have a very small decorative pond, so with the chicken food and little pond of course they're attracted. It became an issue before I realized it and they seem to have just exploded in numbers the last 2 years.

I've put the chicken food inside their coop recently.
I can't physically enclose the gutter area they nest in. I've tried bird spike strips but they just go right through them.

I know there are various non lethal options that are supposed to scare birds away, but I'm doubtful they'll work. My fake owl does nothing. The ultrasonic noise makers sound really easy, but doubt they'd work long term.

I can't sit outside and shoot them with a pellet gun because I live in town. Otherwise, that's what I'd do.

I've thought about hitting them with wasp spray while they're up in that gutter and other spots they like to hang out. Probably not humane, but I don't care.

I've found avitrol online, but before I buy any...

Have any of you guys had a similar issue? What worked for getting rid of them?

OP
H
If you can get to the nest, remove them, and keep removing them until the birds give up. I had the same problem and that is what I did.

I've thought about that but haven't done it consistently enough I guess . How often did you remove them?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I've thought about that but haven't done it consistently enough I guess . How often did you remove them?
After first time, I keep watching for them to return and remove what ever they have started.

Removing the nest repeatedly should work, they'll naturally want to go elsewhere. Might could tack up small sections of chicken wire in the corners where they typically build also.

BWlongbow

Lil-Rokslider
I had a similar problem with nesting birds in my carport. I removed the nest numerous times and the bird would build the nest again. I finally removed the nest and blocked the place so there was no place for the bird to land and build the nest. That solved the problem.

OP
H
I'll try to get a picture later today. I don't know what kind of bird it is, but it's pretty small.

I'll have to get one of those rubber snakes.

OP
H
Can you screen the gutter to keep them out?

No. The roof sits right down on top of it in such a way that I can't. And it creates a bunch of little alcoves for the birds nesting. I'll post a pic later

OP
H
As you can see I've put some bird spike strips up to try to prevent them from getting in, but they're surprisingly able to land and get between the spikes somehow.

As you can see I've put some bird spike strips up to try to prevent them from getting in, but they're surprisingly able to land and get between the spikes somehow.
I think I'd get a roll of small mesh wire and cut it to fit those grooves and tack it up in place. You could also stuff the voids with steel wool, it breathes so shouldn't hold moisture. Or for quick and dirty you could fill the voids with spray foam in a can, trim up the expansion mess afterwards with a sharp knife.

MattB

WKR
Chicken wire tacked to the horizontal piece the spike strips are attached to should be a quick and easy solution. Bend the free end of the mesh to conform to the roof material.