Idaho bitterroot sheep hunt

I'm looking for any information on Bighorn Sheep in the Bitterroot mountains of Idaho and Montana. I may or may not have drawn an Idaho sheep tag for unit 17L. :D It's not a highly desired unit, It's a wilderness area, there isn't an abundance of sheep, and it'll be a DIY hunt. But other than that I expect it to be a difficult hunt. Ha. I understand there is a MT sheep unit right across the border and so would be interested in any feedback from Montana hunters as well if you're willing to share.

Last edited:

BAKPAKR

WKR
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the tag! I have been over Nez Perce Pass a few times and I think you are going to have to get in a ways to reach country I would expect to see sheep in. I was tempted to try a deer hunt down there a few years ago just to see if I could see any sheep during the late season.

Selway

FNG
Almost the entire unit is sheep habitat, which can be a good thing and a bad thing. Expect to spend a lot of time, and climb a lot of elevation. No matter where you're at in the unit, you have a road below you, which is saying something in that country. 95% of the tags filled on the MT side of the border are in a population that never goes near the border.

Good luck! There are outfitters that can help if you decide to go that route.

OP
W
Anyone from Montana who has seen sheep in the high country?

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Elk300win

FNG
wildhorsetrail, send me a PM with your contact info. I have some info regarding the Bitterroot sheep herd that may be helpful!

OP
W
Spent almost a week hunting, no sheep sighted. Hopefully be able to head back out sometime in the next few weeks...

BAKPAKR

WKR
Don’t get discouraged. I have read (but no personal knowledge) that the chance of finding a ram in your unit increases later in the season as they wander out of Montana.

Last edited:
OP
W
Update: Spent three days hunting last week just up from the Selway River. I did spot a group of six sheep with one young ram in there the first day. They ghosted me and I was never able to relocate them. I might be able to make one more quick trip before the season ends.

OP
W
I've spent 8 or 9 days hunting so far. About 13 days if you count to, from, around unit.

Last edited:
OP
W
Headed down for one last effort early next week! The weather is going to be really cold and snowy this weekend so that should bring em all down.