BitzenBurger fletching degree offset

Jfujan

FNG
Does anyone know an accurate way to set a BitzenBurger fletching jig to a certain degree offset? 2.5 degrees is what I want. Looked all over the internet and haven't got a clear answer of how to go from inches to degrees. Thanks!20230316_190700.jpg

I currently have my Bitz set with the lower dial about 1/8" left of center and the upper dial about 1/8" right of center (see pictures). The rotating assembly measures about 5" long, so best I can figure, I have 2.9° offset (calculated as arcsin[0.125" ÷ 2.5"], see sketch). For equal amounts of upper/lower dial rotation and a 5" long rotating assembly, offset in degrees would be approximately equal to the horizontal distance (in inches) between the center mark on the stationary housing and the reference mark on the rotating assembly times 23 (180 ÷ [π × half assembly length], since the sine of a small angle is approximately equal to the angle itself measured in radians).

Using this calculation method, offsetting both dials 0.109" (in opposite directions) would produce a 2.5° angle.
IMG_20190809_173329270.jpgIMG_20190809_173253983.jpgIMG_20190809_173813794.jpg

Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
I currently have my Bitz set with the lower dial about 1/8" left of center and the upper dial about 1/8" right of center (see pictures). The rotating assembly measures about 5" long, so best I can figure, I have 2.9° offset (calculated as arcsin[0.125" ÷ 2.5"], see sketch). For equal amounts of upper/lower dial rotation and a 5" long rotating assembly, offset in degrees would be approximately equal to the horizontal distance (in inches) between the center mark on the stationary housing and the reference mark on the rotating assembly times 23 (180 ÷ [π × half assembly length], since the sine of a small angle is approximately equal to the angle itself measured in radians).

Using this calculation method, offsetting both dials 0.109" (in oppostite directions) would produce a 2.5° angle.
View attachment 531080View attachment 531081View attachment 531079
Somewhere your old math teacher is smiling.

OR Archer

WKR

These are pretty an inexpensive addition to your jig. Or you can get a piece of masking tape and a protractor and make your own.

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I have this little tool from DCA custom arrows. It is really just a piece of arrow with a wrap on it but the wrap has all of the angles pre marked. Simple and effective.

SDHNTR

WKR

Using this calculation method, offsetting both dials 0.109" (in opposite directions) would produce a 2.5° angle.
Wow that’s impressive!

SDHNTR

WKR
Doesn’t the AZ EZ Fletch put 3degrees of offset on automatically? My Bitz jigs have been gathering dust for 10+ years now!

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
I have this little tool from DCA custom arrows. It is really just a piece of arrow with a wrap on it but the wrap has all of the angles pre marked. Simple and effective.

I like this a lot better than the stickers, which leave room for error. Thanks!

WMag338

WKR

Impressive!

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Doesn’t the AZ EZ Fletch put 3degrees of offset on automatically? My Bitz jigs have been gathering dust for 10+ years now!

I've only read and have never used one, but seems like not everyone is happy with them. Are they accurate and repeatable? User friendly? I've only ever used the Bitz. Seems like it easy to shift vanes while clamping it all together, but again I've never touched one.

MightyMatt

Lil-Rokslider
The easiest way i could think of would be to buy a single arrow or if you have some already with a 2.5 degree offset, just loosen the dials, clamp the fletched vane and sit the arrow on the jig. The magnet will hold it at that offset and you can just tighten the screws. I've done this to set the jig up to repair a bad feather or two or to make another batch set up the same is I've made in the past.

CB4

WKR
I have 2.9° offset (calculated as arcsin[0.125" ÷ 2.5"], see sketch). For equal amounts of upper/lower dial rotation and a 5" long rotating assembly, offset in degrees would be approximately equal to the horizontal distance (in inches) between the center mark on the stationary housing and the reference mark on the rotating assembly times 23 (180 ÷ [π × half assembly length], since the sine of a small angle is approximately equal to the angle itself measured in radians).

View attachment 531079
By that sketch someone must be an engineer or just really liked algebra in highschool.

So does 2 versus 2.5 or 3 make much difference? I just throw some offset in it and go, I also use a helical jig, even on the short vanes. Doesn't helical it much when it's only a few inches long. Seems we sometimes get a bit too wrapped up in things that don't really matter much. Not arguing at all, but Ive been using a bitz for at least 15 years and never once measured and seem to get pretty decent arrow flight.

Wapiti_87

FNG

Are you using the helical jig or straight vanes? And what length? I just switched from Blazers to ASE Stealth and have noticeably more helical with just too dial offset by .1”.

Great diaphragm and explanation btw! 👍🏻👍🏻

Are you using the helical jig or straight vanes? And what length? I just switched from Blazers to ASE Stealth and have noticeably more helical with just too dial offset by .1”.
I've tried many different fletching configurations over the years with both straight and helical clamps. When gluing feathers on recurve arrows, I use a helical clamp. With vanes, I use a straight clamp and try to maximize the angle while maintaining full contact between the vane and shaft. I've tried short/high profile vanes (e.g., Bohning Blazers), long/low profile vanes (e.g., Bohning Ice) and others in between. The maximum angle I can achieve while maintaining full contact varies with vane length and shaft diameter (longer vane or smaller shaft = smaller angle).

If you kept your jig adjusted the same when you switched vanes, the angle will be the same. A longer vane (like a 2.6" Max Stealth) will appear to have more helical than a shorter vane (like a 2" Blazer) even if both are fletched at the exact same angle. It's just easier to see the vane wrapping around the shaft with a longer vane.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
I do the same as Mighty Mouse. I just apply some offset with a straight clamp, as much as I can and still maintain good contact between the vane base and the arrow shaft. 3" vanes it looks fairly impressive, 2" vanes not so much. But I have no issues getting fixed blades to tune fine so I don't worry about how much actual degrees of offset I'm applying.

10ringer

WKR
Does anyone know an accurate way to set a BitzenBurger fletching jig to a certain degree offset? 2.5 degrees is what I want. Looked all over the internet and haven't got a clear answer of how to go from inches to degrees. Thanks!View attachment 531077

There is a product produced by a member on this forum that does exactly what you’re looking for.

It has precise, offset measurements in .4° increments. These inserts work with a straight jig on a bitzenburger. They are sold in sets that match the diameter of your shaft. They go from 0° up to 2.5° both left and right.
He has adapters that go down to .200” shafts up to a max shaft size of .320”.

He can be difficult to get a hold of, but it is well worth the effort. These jig adapters are a GameChanger.

[email protected]

Here are some photos of the product:
4b7829b1d2291b6c5f3064efb541d4a5.jpg

4c3210e86d7d1c8da206e6874b93a4d3.jpg

0b74839a96909ba6ebbcc386a32cb830.jpg

e8111e5e023a4b1140334b957f7b8ac9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk